Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 09:53 AM

115 posts, read 451,900 times

Advertisements

Not getting excited it is that soooo many parents think because they live in the burbs in their own little worlds nothing can happen and that goes for anywhere....They just need to be more aware of what is going on around them that could possibly turn out to be a bad situation....You should watch "Missing Children" show....there are children that come from all walks of life, am I right?
I don't live in any city, acually up in the mountains of california 5,200 ft up and I still look around to be aware of a situation i.e. A mountain lion etc...

Have A Wonderful Safe Day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 02:31 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mareli View Post
Has anyone in this area of Cedar Park seen one or two mexican males sitting in a Chevy Silverado truck brown or tan? They have been reported to the sheriff station. My daughter has four girls and on a number of mornings this truck has just been sitting across there home....She has gone to other neighbors to ask perhaps they are relatives or friends and everyone said no...Another neighbor has noticed them also on a number of occasions but didn't think much of it....Please call your friends and neighbors if you live in this area or any area.....Adults and children should always be aware of what is going on around them....We need the license plate number of course....Anyone know of any cams that can be purchased to place outside the home as well as inside?????

Be Safe Not Sorry
I agree. Maybe they ARE just taking a break, and then again maybe not. Kids go missing anywhere, irregardless of whether it's in the city or a suburb or even rural areas. That's happened in front of my house before while I was outside with my daughter. Some guy just sitting at the stop sign watching us. He U-turned in front of the fire station very slowly and went back in front of my house and stopped again, still watching...Until one of the firemen going on duty started walking over to see what he was up to, and then he drove away. So I tend to disagree that some people who seem to be loitering/watching are just sitting in their trucks having a lunch break.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:26 PM

468 posts, read 1,220,626 times
Send your kids over to them to sell them some lemonaide. Then you'll know what they're up to.

BTW if kids go missing, I thought the statistic was that over 90% of the cases, it is a friend or relative (usually parent) that does the abduction. Not some random stranger.

Some guy circled in front of a mom & her daughter? Umm. Maybe he was checking you out. If any officer or anyone else starts walking towards me, I tend to drive off also, mostly because I don't want to be bothered saying hello to them or possibly getting some strange fix-it ticket.

In small towns, people tend to wave 'hello' to each other when anyone drives by. What happened to that old tradition, and what's up with the "suspect everyone" replacement? Turn off the sensational nightly news to get a more normal perspective on life.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:14 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Well, we do wave at strangers here actually. But, seriously, he was just sitting there looking at us, not driving by, not looking at a map or talking on a cell phone. Just staring. I've lived in the country, in the city and in suburbia. Men just idling in their cars staring at you, no matter where, is creepy. Maybe that's just me.

I actually don't suspect everyone or that everyone's out to get me. I let my daughter talk to people she doesn't know (at least, with me present) and I don't make her wear body armour for every single activity she does outside. Normally, the policemen and firemen that are at the station don't bother doing what that one guy did (approach a vehicle just stopped on that road), but for whatever reason, it raised his radar too. So I don't think I was just being a spazz just for the heck of it. Anyway, most of the firemen that work that station come in from Westlake, other parts of Austin, RR, Cedar Park, Lakeway...they don't even live in Hutto. (It's getting late, I'm starting to ramble )

Old 04-12-2009, 02:48 PM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,707,760 times
Just curious, but did anyone in the neighborhood think to approach them and ask them what they were doing? Hey, guys...are you lost? Can I help you? etc...

Making a "loiterer" aware that you are aware is likely good thing to do! If they are up to no good, then they know you are on to them and are paying attention. If not, maybe you will have helped them out!

Old 04-12-2009, 03:26 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA View Post
Just curious, but did anyone in the neighborhood think to approach them and ask them what they were doing? Hey, guys...are you lost? Can I help you? etc...

Making a "loiterer" aware that you are aware is likely good thing to do! If they are up to no good, then they know you are on to them and are paying attention. If not, maybe you will have helped them out!
Yep, that's what I would suggest too. It's like what some banks do at their branches when you walk in (risk management). They greet you extensively and look you right in the face, so you are aware that they could identify you if they ever had to. Similarly, with the guys in the truck, go up and talk to them, look them over up and down, comment on their truck make/model/color -- and they will know they could be easily identified, which might be a pretty good deterrent if they are indeed up to no good.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:14 PM

170 posts, read 598,676 times
Love roses, I can't believe anyone would call you out for being suspicious in the situation you described. Don't ignore your radar just because someone who refuses to believe evils exists in the world tells you to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin