Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 04:04 AM

312 posts, read 797,556 times

Advertisements

Hello all:

I am relatively new to this forum but have lurked on here for a couple of years, mainly in the section about my current city of Phoenix. I have a rather long post so if you will bear with me, I would appreciate your comments as I consider a possible relocation...

I am a graphic designer, living in Phoenix, AZ. Lived in Dallas 2002-2004 but frustrated because of the relatively poor job market at that time in my field. My son and my ex-wife live in Hutto (they moved there about the time I left Dallas). Have been to Hutto to visit my son on about 3-4 occasions. He is 13 now and our relationship, while always pretty good if not consistent (relations with the ex-wife have been good sometimes and downright terrible sometimes), seems to be taking on a new and positive flavor as he is entering his teen years. My son is now, finally, at the point where he will be driving the direction of the father-son relationship more and more as compared to the ex-wife.

My ex-wife plans to remain in the Austin area at least through my son's college years to take advantage of Texas' relatively good programs to get Texas kids into a quality college education.

I am thinking about moving to the area in order to be closer to him and spend more time with him on a much more regular basis.

Here are my concerns:

* I think it would be harder to find a good position as a graphic designer/production artist in Austin since it is more of a medium-sized market rather than a major metro. My field is always the hardest-hit in a recession as companies seem to consider design, advertising, marketing a discretionary expense (I work at a newspaper and we have had sharp revenue declines and layoffs to match).

* Mass transit is way underdeveloped but at least Austin is getting a rail system shortly. I do not own my own car but rent (Avis rules!) from time to time. It would be very little problem to rent a car for the weekend and drive to my son's house and spend a Saturday.

* I am African-American (as is my ex-wife and son). I don't dwell on racial issues constantly, but I do pay a little attention, and think the recent controversy over the Texas Relays/Highland Mall shutdown is a little weird...you would think a city that hosts South by Southwest each year and 80,000 people for Longhorn football any given Saturday could handle that. People are crying "racism" and even the perception of that in any city raises a red flag for me...will that affect how I am treated as a potential employee, service provider or just driving around town? So far, in my few times in town to see my kid, Austin seems to be a friendly town where people get along and are a little more laid back and willing to talk to you, engage in friendly conversation, than in a larger city...so hopefully there's no huge problem with race relations. Dallas, because of its history, always seemed to have a bothersome problem under the surface with race, much more so than Atlanta, where I lived before I moved to Dallas.

* San Antonio seems a little more like a "big city" than Austin. I grew up in Oakland, California, so I compare my notion of "big city" to my childhood/teenage memories (and occasional current research and conversations with a few family still there) of San Francisco. I lived in Dallas, as I mentioned, thought it was OK, reasonable cost of living, decent mass transit system, and would have liked it a lot more if the job market wasn't so weird (and the Rangers were based in the city of Dallas). It seemed that Dallas never really came out of the "dot-com bust" recession. I have also lived in Atlanta, Oklahoma City and Raleigh. I tend to like large metro areas more than mid-sized cities, but Austin seems at least as tolerable as a Raleigh-Durham, which is also a "college town" with a technology focus (meaning I will meet and be surrounded by educated professional people).

* Access to quality media was a concern in past years (good radio, TV, news outlets) but with a broadband Internet connection that concern has been eliminated. I live in Phoenix but rarely listen to or watch local Phoenix media, as I have access to the best outlets nationally on my computer.

My main focus in life right now, as it has been for at least the last 10 years, is 1) starting a freelance graphic design business (harder than you might think) and 2) remarrying and starting another family (also harder than you might think). I'm 39, still young enough to do that but not a young fresh-outta-college kid any more.

I may not even choose to make the move - I have moved 6 or 7 times since graduating from the University of Arizona (where I met my ex; my son was born in Tucson and lived there until he was about 7 or 8) and at 39 I ain't gonna keep city-hopping much longer. Phoenix, while hurting right now and dominated by right wing wacko Republicans (at least in state politics and in the suburbs) seems to remain a good place for me to be...the weather is excellent and the "big city" amenities are OK and in the process of improving/increasing...but if I can find the right woman in Austin or San Antonio while getting, at long last, a graphic design firm off the ground AND staying in touch with my son MUCH more than a twice-yearly visit, that would be nice.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 08:22 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,162,494 times
I don't think the Texas Relays issue should taint your opinion of Austin. The mall (Highand Mall) that closed early is deteriorating. The mall is close to UT, and is a convenient hangout for kids competing in all day events. UT is the home for many all day all weekend events. The Texas Relays start early in the mornings and run through 10 p.m.. So a kid that races in the morning might need to kill half a day before they race again at night. So instead of sitting in the sun all day at the track they may go to the mall instead. So the mall gets many kids who are not shoppers - instead they are purely hanging out.

Last year the mall experienced some incidents during the Texas Relays and this year took the easy way out instead of doing what they needed to do - improve security.

During the Texas Relays the city hosted an outdoor music event for most of Saturday and featured entertainers that might appeal most to an African American crowd. This didn't get much media coverage.

I don't know about the job market for you. I am in software, where the market is soft but not dead. But Austin is the home of a major advertiser (GSD&M), and many companies whose web fronts are managed in Austin. All kinds of software and hardware companies are based in Austin.

I am not African American so take my comments as is. Issues, whatever they are, raised by the African American community, seem to get plenty of media attention. Nelson Lender of the NAACP is very active.

I know a number of African American families that live in high income areas that might be considered more typically white. I believe these people are comfortable in their daily life. My kids go to Lake Travis schools where African Americans are a small minority - but I believe the kids do well and are treated well. My kids have been in this school system for 12+ years and I'm quite sure I would have heard of racial problems. I believe Austin is a city that in general welcomes people of almost all backgrounds and color. It has a solid economy, somewhat stablized by the state government and UT.

Your concern about transportation infrastructure is valid. If you manage to live close to work - you can get by without a car. The buses have grown in popularity but I have never ridden one. And the first light rail tracks should open in mid-May.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:14 AM

428 posts, read 1,064,763 times
I say move to Austin. I can't even imagine being away from my son for six days, let alone six months. A good father is the single most important thing in a young man's life (no offense to single mom's out there - you have the toughest job on earth).

While many, many women (my own mother included) are capable of shouldering both roles, a man-to-be needs the footsteps of a man-that-is to follow in order to really blossom into all that he can be. So, I say move to Austin, your son is worth any sacrifice you might have to make.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:17 AM

2,185 posts, read 6,432,719 times
Highland Mall did ask for officers and security but the Chief of Police told them no. They did try.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:20 AM

399 posts, read 974,133 times
I have a friend who is a freelance graphic designer; he moved here back in August and it seems that he's found steady work, but he lives with his fiancee who also works - I dunno that he'd be able to make it on his own. I think the field is very competitive here, and smaller than it would be in a larger city.

I've lived here for 7 years and have had probably a dozen friends who have moved to larger cities over the years (NYC, LA, SF, Houston, etc.) - while Austin is about as big a city as I can handle and I will probably never leave. That is to say, if you really like large cities, you very well may get bored with Austin after a couple of years.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:57 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,049,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micmac99 View Post
Here are my concerns:

* I think it would be harder to find a good position as a graphic designer/production artist in Austin since it is more of a medium-sized market rather than a major metro. My field is always the hardest-hit in a recession as companies seem to consider design, advertising, marketing a discretionary expense (I work at a newspaper and we have had sharp revenue declines and layoffs to match).

* Mass transit is way underdeveloped but at least Austin is getting a rail system shortly. I do not own my own car but rent (Avis rules!) from time to time. It would be very little problem to rent a car for the weekend and drive to my son's house and spend a Saturday.

* I am African-American (as is my ex-wife and son). I don't dwell on racial issues constantly, but I do pay a little attention, and think the recent controversy over the Texas Relays/Highland Mall shutdown is a little weird...you would think a city that hosts South by Southwest each year and 80,000 people for Longhorn football any given Saturday could handle that. People are crying "racism" and even the perception of that in any city raises a red flag for me...will that affect how I am treated as a potential employee, service provider or just driving around town? So far, in my few times in town to see my kid, Austin seems to be a friendly town where people get along and are a little more laid back and willing to talk to you, engage in friendly conversation, than in a larger city...so hopefully there's no huge problem with race relations. Dallas, because of its history, always seemed to have a bothersome problem under the surface with race, much more so than Atlanta, where I lived before I moved to Dallas.
I can't say much about the market for a graphic designer as my field is architecture and construction, which is suffering. I do think your age and experience would give you an edge in finding a job here as we have a large young and inexperienced population.

I have lived in LA, Pheonix and Denver and now Austin since 1977. I honestly think that there is so little racism here that organizations like the NAACP and the Minority Owned Business Enterprises jump at any chance to say "Racisim is rampant in Austin" in order to justify their existence. Check out this editorial and especially the responses to it. Not the kind of race weekend visitors to Austin expected (http://www.statesman.com/search/content/editorial/stories/04/10/0410protest_edit.html - broken link)

Quote:
Highland Mall General Manager Jeff Gionnette said it wasn't racism but a question of safety. He had asked City Manager Marc Ott for help managing an anticipated overflow crowd estimated at more than 20,000. In a February letter to Ott, Gionnette said the crowd would make for a dangerous situation that could result in a "mass-casualty event."

In the past, Austin police assigned about 50 officers to the area around the mall. For 2009, Gionnette wanted 80 officers, said Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo. The chief said he could afford 30 and suggested the mall contract for off-duty officers. Without an adequate contingent of trained officers, Gionnette said the mall couldn't safely manage the expected crowd.
This comment below the editorial was very relevant I think:

Quote:
Stern wrote:
Highland Mall provided an extra 120 security officers for this event. As a highland mall employee I was here during the texas relays. We saw a DECREASE in paying customers. In 2007 there was a shooting. This was not a racial driven closing. It had to do with the fact that unfortunately there was not enough security to keep the mall open during this time. Honestly after the mall the closed the officers were here for hours trying to keep the peace. There was no way to keep the mall open with the lack of extra police. The austin police couldn't afford to provide the extra security. This protest is childish and an attempt to grab headlines for a non-event. It is ridicolous honestly. If the people that are protesting were here during the events watching the police trying to get the people that were out in the parking blocking traffic, dancing on cars, and just causing a scene. The mall is a place to shop not a club. People were walking around with camcorders, yelling, and starting trouble. There were multiple people smoking marijuana outside the mall and drug deals happening in the bathroom. How is this racial? If it had been any other race doing the same thing the same result would have been expected.
Given the problems in the past, the drop in business, the mall being on the verge of bankruptcy, the Police Departments budget shortfall this year, the shortage of funds to supplement the mall's security and the potential liability of the mall if anyone was injured, I have to say that the Mall owners used good judgement in closing it down. Considering that our mayor is African-American, and our Chief of Police is hispanic, I'm surprised that they did not put forth the extra cost to provide the police protection requested by the Mall. Since they did not it seemed especially hypocritical to me for the Mayor to criticize the Mall owners for closing down.

Most other festivals in Austin are in the pubic streets or parks, where there is no single business owner at risk for the liabilities if accidents or violence occurred. It is completely different matter for a private business owner to take those kinds of risks.

I have stopped going to Highland Mall because it has been so crowded and hard to move around in, it felt dangerous on a normal weekend. If there were ever a panic the exits are few and far between, and very hard to get to.

Taking a look at the movies on YouTube of the mall crowds during the Texas Relay you will see very few shopping bags, and the photos of people hanging out in the food court had no food or drinks on their tables. Why would any business want to go to the expense of all this just to loose money and increase their risk?

Old 04-11-2009, 12:32 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,552 times
I'm a graphic/web designer w/ 15 years experience. It took me 3 months (4 if you count the month I spent sending out resumes from Socal) to find a full-time job after moving here without knowing anyone, and I took a pay cut. Quite honestly, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot out there for designers right now. And, like you said, marketing/graphics is the first thing a company gets rid of when they're making cutbacks. I turned down one company who wanted to pay me $45K/year.

Sooooo... it's tough right now, but not impossible. Just make sure you come here with enough money to live on for several months.

Freelancing is tough, too. A LOT of people want to work in trade or for free, which I don't do anymore. I do still pick up some paying freelancing jobs here and there though.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:18 PM

"...People were walking around with camcorders, yelling, and starting trouble. There were multiple people smoking marijuana outside the mall and drug deals happening in the bathroom...."

That sounds a little like the Freaknik controversy in Atlanta a few years back (I lived there from 1996-98 and 1999-2001) - and the city of Atlanta, known for its politically active and influential Black community, basically said "no more Freaknik" after major companies threatened to pull their conventions from the city during the weekend that Freaknik (or "Black College Spring Break") occurred. In Atlanta people were stopping in the middle of interstates and dancing on cars, and I believe there were allegations of sexual assaults on young women.

I think most of the events and crowds relocated to South Florida eventually.

I looked up the Texas Relays on Wikipedia and it sounds like it's way too much of a long-standing tradition for Austin to drive out of town, so I hope something positive comes out of the controversy. Maybe if UT (either the athletics dept. or student-based groups) got more involved in planning the non-athletic events?

Old 04-11-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
I'm a graphic/web designer w/ 15 years experience. It took me 3 months (4 if you count the month I spent sending out resumes from Socal) to find a full-time job after moving here without knowing anyone, and I took a pay cut. Quite honestly, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot out there for designers right now. And, like you said, marketing/graphics is the first thing a company gets rid of when they're making cutbacks. I turned down one company who wanted to pay me $45K/year.

Sooooo... it's tough right now, but not impossible. Just make sure you come here with enough money to live on for several months.

Freelancing is tough, too. A LOT of people want to work in trade or for free, which I don't do anymore. I do still pick up some paying freelancing jobs here and there though.
I am familiar with GSD&M and heard they laid off a bunch of people a little while ago. I work at the Arizona Republic and the advertising design department, through layoffs and people resigning, is about less than half the staff level it was two years ago, and the only reason we're not totally slammed is that the ad volume has plummeted. I have considered sending my resume to the Statesman but I am very leery of the newspaper business right now.

What are your impressions of the following as potential employers (not necessarily in graphic design/advertising):

Dell Computer

UT Austin

State of Texas agencies

The healthcare sector

Customer service call centers (kind of a secondary industry I have experience in)

Old 04-11-2009, 02:10 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,162,494 times
Dell is a terrible company to work for. In 25 years living here - and working in the software business the entire time - I have known dozens of Dell employees. Not a single one said they liked working there. That doesn't mean you can't do well there. It is a cut-throat company that will never make any best employers lists.

I think working for UT can be good. Not quite as civil service oriented as working for the state of Texas, but lower stress, lower pay, than private sector.

Can't say about healthcare other than it is growing. Several new major healthcare facilities are under construction near Lake Travis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin