Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 12:57 PM

174 posts, read 501,859 times

Advertisements

I guess when people get on the forum and say I'm being negative about things I'm really just providing my experience when living in Austin.
I would like to see people be more objective about things
Potentially Austin could be a great city but it assuredly has it's problems and
ignoring the problem isn't really the solution

Last edited by thedude72; 04-28-2009 at 01:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 01:19 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude72 View Post
I guess when people get on the forum and say I'm being negative about things I'm really just providing my experience when living in Austin.
hey man, we b**** and moan all the time here if you hadn't noticed already.
There are things that suck and things that are great, we do a fine job of addressing both in this forum. There has been countless redundant threads about the following: weather, sprawl, traffic, attitudes, the heat, natural beauty, amenities, the Longhorns, housing costs, schools, austin vibe, the music scene, etc. to the point of boorishness. Why don't you start a thread about threads I guess? I have no idea if this is even a valid thread topic I'm speaking to..

Old 04-28-2009, 03:45 PM

80 posts, read 251,123 times
I would be the first to agree with you that Austin has a lot of problems. For the majority of time that I have lived here, most salaries have not been on par with the realistic cost of living.

My biggest complaint: Expenses keep going up-up-up -- rent, real estate, food, entertainment -- but wages don't rise commensurately to cover the additional expenditure. This makes it very difficult for me to recommend moving to Austin for anyone who doesn't have a really good job lined up, savings to rely on, or family/friends to live with.

Austin is not expensive, per se ... certainly there are more expensive cities to live in. But when I research other cities with a similar cost of living and find that the population there makes a lot more money, or when I look at the average salaries in little bunk towns in Texas that are very inexpensive to live in and find them on par with Austin's, that cannot be a good thing.

This was happening before the recession/depression.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:48 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,435,039 times
People say that Austin has a lot of problems, but you don't see any of them leaving do you? Deep down, they all love it here.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:21 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustTheTemp View Post
most salaries have not been on par with the realistic cost of living.
The only reason it's expensive here is because everyone is trying to crowd into desirable hill country areas on the western side of the city. There are a lot of areas not worth the price beign asked... Look east of 35. there is a lottttt of housing for less than $75 a sf. You can live within 5 miles of downtown for this price if you look hard enough.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:44 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
On other posts you say things like:

"Austin is a crap city coated in sugar,and you can always count on an Austinite to keep adding more crap and more sugar."

From my few weeks on this forum I have seen many posts by people who are critical of Austin, yet quite happy overall with their life here. Austin is not trouble free. I haven't seen a single post here that says that.

It seems like your entire experience in Austin has been negative. That is too bad. You seem to think everyone smokes pot. The pay is too low. Blah blah blah.

Why are you here in this city? Have you lived someplace you were happy? If so you really should go there. Because Austin isn't going to change because you ***** and moan here. After 25 years I STILL LIKE IT HERE.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:55 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
For anyone considering taking this thread seriously, I recommend first reviewing previous posts by the OP.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:03 PM

468 posts, read 1,220,626 times
Quote:

posting here isn't the solution either. either run for office to fix the problems or admit that you're just ranting & raving.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:45 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Default 17 years and out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
People say that Austin has a lot of problems, but you don't see any of them leaving do you? Deep down, they all love it here.
Just for the record-- I am leaving... Back to New England. After all this time still feels more like home. Nothing wrong with Austin-- It's not perfect-- But It's not home.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:51 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,001,394 times
Well, you can ignore all my negative posts because I don't live there yet. My opinions are mostly based on my limited ability to clearly see anything. I'm not sure what fair and balanced you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin