Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 12:25 PM

439 posts, read 1,256,302 times

Advertisements

We got and offer that was 60 thousand less then asking yesterday . Our home has only been on the market less then 2 weeks. Our home is in Q-tip condition and looks like a model home. The 3 realtors we interviewed ask me if I wanted a part time job in stageing even. They all love my decorating skills.

All the showings so far have been 10+ comments about our home. What is the average offer on a home there that is great condition. Are you guys getting low ball offers too. Is 10-15 % less then asking the norm?

Debbie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 12:40 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,432,372 times
Is it overpriced for the area? What area is it in and how much per square foot. Some out here in SW Austin aren't selling because they are overpriced. Not saying that yours is. That offer seems rather low if it is priced correctly, I wouldn't take it if you've been on the market only 2 weeks. But, it all depends on pricing.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:49 PM

433 posts, read 1,657,287 times
There's really no way to answer that without seeing CMAs to see if your house is priced correctly.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:54 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,990 times
I don't think you can say that anything is the norm. There are many reasons for a low offer. A couple reasons might have nothing to do with your house, but the amount that the buyer is pre-approved for or wants to spend. Our realtor had us look at homes that we knew we couldn't afford and we did put in a low-ball type offer one time just to see how desperate the seller was and to see if we could get this home into our price range.

I think the key is that you don't let this type of offer offend you. It's apparent that they liked your house enough to put in an offer so that's a good thing. You now have the opportunity to counter. As others have stated, you do also need to make sure you are priced correctly.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:06 PM

439 posts, read 1,256,302 times
We are not over priced, the realtor tour had comments cards with that?, 13 realtors came through, 10 filled them out abd all said it was priced right and 7 out of the 10 gave us a prefect 10 down the list.

I still need my question answered about Austin norm on offers these days on right priced homes good condition. 10-15% less off asking????

Debbie

Old 05-05-2009, 01:18 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Don't think there is a norm at all, since realtors (and individuals) will have different approaches and strategies. Take the offer for what it is - 60k below what you are asking. I am assuming that the house is in the 400k - 600k range if 60k is 10 to 15% low. I would never make an offer on a house that low if it was in line with the comps in the area. It sounds like they are hoping you are desperate (you never know) and may just have to dump the house.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:18 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,432,372 times
You really can't determine that, it all depends on area, what's selling, what's not selling. Out here in SW Austin, people are getting pretty close to asking price if it is priced compared to comps in the area. 10-15% less seems to be really low. You need to provide more info, perhaps a link to your MLS listing.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:24 PM

786 posts, read 2,761,099 times
What the Realtors say and what the buyers feel can be two different things. When we were selling our home in Toronto last year we had four different agents say the house was properly priced, and could be seen as under priced. But we waited over 2 months for the first offer that came in even lower. We ended up negotiating to a price we could accept just before the bottom dropped out of the Canadian dollar.

We went full asking on the house we bought here, but that was within 2 days of coming on the market, it fit us perfectly and there was a lot of interest. We wanted to get an offer accepted before possible multiple offers came in.

Since your home is only on the market for a couple of weeks, it could be someone trying to see if you will go for a quick bargain price. Counter back with close to your asking price and see what happens. Opening offers are no indication of what they may end up agreeing to.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:25 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Oh, that is a good comparison point. We had three comps for our tax protest (fingers crossed).
- One went pending in 3 days and sold in 24 at full price - $104.5/sf.
- One was on the market just over 2 months and sold for 95% of asking price, $99.25/sf.
- One took just under 4 months and sold at 89% of the asking price, $98.50/sf.

These house are almost identical size (+/- 7'), age (+/- 1 year), and within about 200yards from each other. I can't tell you what offers were made, obviously, but I can show you what was accepted eventually.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:09 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Some buyers or house flippers are probably going around town looking for a steal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: