Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2009, 07:28 AM

40 posts, read 103,534 times

Advertisements

OK...another thing that I have considered in moving to the Austin area (or anywhere in the south) is the idea of Southern Belles. As I had mentioned My fiance is born and raised in Queens, NYC. I have heard sme horror stories about some of the women in some "deep south" areas like Charleston or Savannah. The southern belle attitude towards an attractive woman (or any woman or that matter) from the north. Examples of back handed comments and two faced friendships.

My concern is: Will my fiance run into a abundance of tis type of attitude or is that type of person few and far between? She is a very personable girl and I would hate to move somewhere and find out that local woman can treat her like this, making her time there miserable. I know Texas is known for a friendly atmostphere, ut is it sincere?

thanks for the tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 07:44 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,627,381 times
Quote:
Examples of back handed comments and two faced friendships.
This is more of a jr high/High school rite of passage for women in most any location, I think. As for adults - as long as you hang around 'grown up' people, it is not likely to be a problem.

If you had to 'classify' the women around here (always a dangerous proposition anywhere), you are going to find a lot more 'redneck', 'cowgirl', 'granola', home-maker, and 'business professional'* than any sort of southern belle. If you are hanging our with the 6th street/college party crowd, you are likely to find a little more of the immature relationship potential.

*none of these is intended to imply any sort of a negative .

Old 05-13-2009, 08:01 AM

593 posts, read 1,378,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmorando View Post
OK...another thing that I have considered in moving to the Austin area (or anywhere in the south) is the idea of Southern Belles. As I had mentioned My fiance is born and raised in Queens, NYC. I have heard sme horror stories about some of the women in some "deep south" areas like Charleston or Savannah. The southern belle attitude towards an attractive woman (or any woman or that matter) from the north. Examples of back handed comments and two faced friendships.

My concern is: Will my fiance run into a abundance of tis type of attitude or is that type of person few and far between? She is a very personable girl and I would hate to move somewhere and find out that local woman can treat her like this, making her time there miserable. I know Texas is known for a friendly atmostphere, ut is it sincere?

thanks for the tips.

You won't find southern belle attitudes in Austin. We are a part of the South but we aren't the Deep South. Alot of our culture was shaped by our connection to southern culture but changed over time with westward expansion and the oil boom. So, please don't let your stereotypes affect your ideas of an entire geographic region of the United States.

Women are women and the ones here can be just as catty as they are in the NE, W, E, MW, etc. I'm sure if your wife is genuine then she'll make quality friends here.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:04 AM

47 posts, read 150,460 times
First....this isn't the south, so there are probably as many southern belles in NYC as Austin.

Second, I back Trainwreck's comment. It's best to avoid stereotypes, especially when you're laying them on an already defined group. As a born-raised southerner, I've not seen Southern Belle used in the sense that you do here. Gossip, shallowness, etc... are the things that ladies are meant to avoid, not embrace. I know debutantes, souther grandmothers and poor noble southern ladies, all of whom would embrace the term and take offense at the stereotype. Don't believe the "horror stories" about the south and I promise not to believe everything I hear about "Yankees". Deal?

Third....If she is as you describe, she'll do fine. Some people comment on difficulty of making friends in Austin. I assume that's more because of the nature of professional life as a young transplant (which compose most of Austin's young cohort).

Old 05-13-2009, 08:11 AM

40 posts, read 103,534 times
Default No Stereotypes..

First, let me just clarify that I am not stereotypng Texas Women as southern belles. I have heard nothing but good things from people I know who live in Texas. Due to the nature of my work and being gone for extended periods of time, I don't wan't want to find my fiance in a place where she might not be welcome. But, from all I have heard...mainly from joining groups like this one and hearing all of your input...Austin, and Texas as a whole sounds like a great place to live! I am very much looking forward to the chance later in the year to get down there to visit and get around the area.

Thanks

Old 05-13-2009, 08:19 AM

142 posts, read 501,490 times
Except for the far west, Texas IS part of the south. Many decades from now, as our melting pot continues to melt or our salad bowl continues to be tossed, I can see distinctions like "the South" becoming meaningless. But for now, most of Texas is historically and culturally part of the South.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:46 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,627,381 times
Quote:
most of Texas is historically and culturally part of the South.
....and still distinct from the southeast (or Deep South).

Old 05-13-2009, 11:29 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,651,691 times
You find this is Dallas, but it is limited in Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin