Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 01:19 PM

42 posts, read 61,521 times

Advertisements

I've been reading through old threads trying to find some insight, but haven't really found what I'm looking for. If you know where I should be looking, please point me that way.

My husband has been transferred to Austin, and he, myself, our 8 month old and a sometimes smelly Jack Russell are moving mid-July. We've been in Denver for a couple of years, and Columbia, SC before that. Both born and raised in the Carolinas.

Everyone has told us we'll love it there, but always seems to follow up with "You need to remember, it's more of a Southwestern than Southern city." What does this mean, exactly? We already know that it won't be anything like Charleston or Atlanta, that's a given. But never having lived or traveled in the Southwest, what are some characteristics you'd put on a Southwestern City?

We're not concerned with the lack of quote/unquote Southernism. We've been in about the most unsouthern place in the country and made out just fine. And I don't mean this to start an argument between the two. I'm mostly just curious as to what it means to be a Southwestern city.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:30 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,737,268 times
Personally, I think people who would want to Austin to be a "southwestern" city would like to 'overlook' Austin's southern past. However, a city's history is what it is..and no amount of whitewashing is going to change that or its people.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:34 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Well, I guess it depends on who you ask, but having worked across the SE US and over as far as AZ (and mostly in TX), some things that are more SW than southern (some serious, some tongue in cheek):
- Tex-Mex is pervasive;
- BBQ is beef instead of pork;
- Ice tea is almost always served unsweetened (although many/most people then sweeten it);
- Austin will be less humid and will have less rain then most of the 'southern' U.S;
- The gov't is less 'heavy' compared to the SE and (imho) less corrupt than a lot of the reconstruction states;

And, on a separate topic, I have found that the Hispanic population to be much better integrated and/or accepted in Texas than I ever witnessed in GA or Mississippi. The intensity of racism toward Hispanics in parts of the SE was a bit disturbing, and I have not seen anything like that in or around Austin. Related (sort of) is the fact that the AA population in Austin (and much of Texas) is pretty small whereas the Asian population is somewhat larger than the SE.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:51 PM

We're big fans of bbq, no matter what critter it comes from. And I've gotten used to the (what was once) appalling lack of sweet tea. I dare say (GASP) I even prefer it that way most of the time!

Are folks friendly? And not that cloying fake friendliness you get a lot of the time in the South (I can say that, because I've been guilty of it on more than one or two occasions...bless your heart), but just genuine good people?

Old 05-23-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Are folks friendly? And not that cloying fake friendliness you get a lot of the time in the South (I can say that, because I've been guilty of it on more than one or two occasions...bless your heart), but just genuine good people?
It depends, ofc . There are threads complaining about clerks/customers wasting time exchanging pleasantries, and others claiming is a fake friendliness, but I find that people in general are honestly friendly, by and large. I also think most people get what they give via non-verbals clues, but eh.

The young lady at the Whole Foods cafe down the street calls me 'sweetie', but she calls pretty much everyone that and it is, I expect, an honest mannerism from her upbringing. It is a bit out of the norm, but she interacts with construction workers on up to high-dollar lawyers and I have yet to hear someone offended. In any case, I consider that a 'southernism', but it is a bit out of the norm. I see her probably 3 or 4 times a week (as do several of my co-workers) and everyone pretty much gets the basics of everyone else - how is the family, how is school, how did your weekend go, etc.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:05 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
I think if you took the "western" part of Colorado and moved it south, you would have people very much like Texans. By "western" I don't mean geographically - but the cowboy attitude. Not the Aspen crowd. Not the Boulder crowd. And most certainly not the part that doesn't like guns.

Texas separates itself from the "South" with:

- we speak faster, but not necessarily fast
- we are more genuine in our friendliness
- less institutionalized racism
- Tim Love over Paula Deen

Old 05-23-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
- but the cowboy attitude. Not the Aspen crowd. Not the Boulder crowd. And most certainly not the part that doesn't like guns.
You just described all the reasons I'm kind of glad we're leaving CO. Although when I found out that Austin has a bag ban at the grocery stores and saw Hippy Hollow on the map, I began to wonder if we were moving to Boulder South....

Then I looked up Hippy Hollow. That was a bit of a surprise Some ultra conservative (which we are not) friends here were completely aghast when I told them about it. But the way I see it, at least Austin warns you of where the naked hippies will be. In Boulder, you never know when one is going to come strolling down Pearl St.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:19 PM

498 posts, read 572,037 times
We lived in Fort Collins for the last 5 years. We were in the Boulder/Lafayette area most every week. Both of us grew up in Alabama. Have lived in California, Florida, Alabama,and Texas. We have sold our house in Colorado and we are headed to Austin. Have been renting there for the last 8 months. You will like it. People are friendly and have just enough "Southern" for me to feel comfortable. You can always head out to Alpine or Lubbock to get a "Western" fix. I do know what you mean about "southern friendliness" because I still have sisters in Alabama.......Bless ur heart (BIG TIME). We had trouble fitting in with the Colorada style. Love the mountains but also love Texas. Austin is a great city. You will fit just fine.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Then I looked up Hippy Hollow. That was a bit of a surprise Some ultra conservative (which we are not) friends here were completely aghast when I told them about it. But the way I see it, at least Austin warns you of where the naked hippies will be. In Boulder, you never know when one is going to come strolling down Pearl St.
There is definitely a liberal (libertarian) current in some parts of Austin that are not as prevalent (at least as much so) in other parts of Texas. You really don't run into naked every day, but you might get pretty close at Hippie hollow, Campbell's hole (when it has water), Barton Springs Pool, Eeyore's birthday party, etc. Leslie is gone, and that has reduced the chances downtown of hairy men in thongs, but not entirely eliminated it.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:31 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,783,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I think if you took the "western" part of Colorado and moved it south, you would have people very much like Texans. By "western" I don't mean geographically - but the cowboy attitude. Not the Aspen crowd. Not the Boulder crowd. And most certainly not the part that doesn't like guns.

Texas separates itself from the "South" with:

- we speak faster, but not necessarily fast
- we are more genuine in our friendliness
- less institutionalized racism
- Tim Love over Paula Deen
yes...and....

- Hotter, but less humid.
- alt/country over nashville country.
- beef over pork. (but most of us will eat both )
- breakfast taco over grits/ham.
- Hispanic the dominant minority....until it becomes the majority.
- the hills, trees & taxes are smaller....& we're ok with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin