Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 10:48 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
It does actually. Just as NYC is nothing like parts of Sicily, yet there are thousands of immigrants in NYC from Sicily, the same applies to Houston. Yes there are thousands of Louisiana transplants to Houston, but that doesn't make Houston like New Orleans anymore than NYC is like Palermo.
Yeah, two cities on different continents is the same thing as two cities 5 hours away from each other.

Again, I never said Houston and New Orleans were similar cities. They are two different cities with some cultural parallels. Two completely different statements.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:54 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Quote:
And that no zoning culture caused HOAs like Cinco Ranch which mean all homes are uniform. Ironically, you actually have more freedom in New Orleans than in Houston about what kind of home to own, etc... Yes there are restrictions but the stock is so varied that you can find a home to fit your personality.

Anybody that has lived in New Orleans can tell you the culture there is unmatched by anything in Houston. So you either sell out to money or you live in a corrupt but culturally rich city.
According to your own profile, YOU haven't lived in New Orleans (or Houston), so how is it that you've managed to become such an expert on both cities?

Old 05-24-2013, 10:55 AM

42 posts, read 61,521 times
Of course, we'll always be Gamecock fans, through and through. I am eternally grateful to the University of South Carolina for my husband's ability to earn a steady paycheck. And I look good in garnet and black. But it's nice to know that listing your preferred team isn't required on the Welcome to Texas questionnaire.

I don't think we'll have much trouble switching from the Rockies to the Rangers, though we're far more interested in college baseball than pro. Does UT have a decent baseball program? That was my favorite thing about Columbia, being able to go to USC (wait, that means something different out here too, doesn't it?) baseball games.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:57 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
You forgot Puh-Cun. That is what old time Texans say.
Well, I'm about as old time Texan as they come (4th generation through all four grandparents, been here longer than the Republic, had folks at San Jacinto), and I've never heard that one. What part of old time Texas are you talking about?

Old 05-24-2013, 11:04 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoeubanks View Post
Hey, now that sounds like my kind of place!
If you're serious, you might want to look into Apache Shores, then. Right down 620 from Cedar Park (though past Steiner), and it's got that kind of mixture that's so appealing.

Actually, my own experience is that that's not as uncommon as you're being told. Yes, there are subdivisions that are like that, but if you get out of them, you'll find that kind of mixture lots of places. My daughter even commented on it a few years ago: "A mansion right next to a mobile home - that's Texas, for you!"

It's true that status is based more on what you accomplish than on who your parents were, though there's a little bit of the latter here. That means that you can be friends with rich and poor alike, because "what you accomplish" is not restricted to dollars. As said, being a state where historically someone could be rich in an instant, then poor just as quickly, the attitude is that dollars come and go, character is with you always.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:32 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,954 times
Quote:
I don't think we'll have much trouble switching from the Rockies to the Rangers, though we're far more interested in college baseball than pro. Does UT have a decent baseball program? That was my favorite thing about Columbia, being able to go to USC (wait, that means something different out here too, doesn't it?) baseball games.
Yes, UT normally has a pretty good baseball team, but they've been terrible this year (One of your former Rockies Huston Street is a UT alum as well as Roger Clemens). You are in luck for baseball in that Round Rock has one of the best minor league facilities in the country with Dell Diamond and is currently the AAA team of the Rangers. They have great promotions including fireworks after the games on Fridays, cheap outfield lawn seating ($7), $1 hot dog nights, etc.

2013 Promotions | Round Rock Express Promotions

Old 05-24-2013, 11:42 AM

42 posts, read 61,521 times
Thanks mark311! We'll be all over that. I'll take a live minor league over a major any day.

TexasHorseLady, that kind of area isn't one we'd consider negative or bad, as it's what we're accustomed to. I don't really mind the varying social standings. But I've also never lived in a master planned community type place, so I really can't say either way.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:05 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,907,683 times
OK, here we go:

"Gimme' sum uh' dat pecan pah."

pee-CAN, old East Texas rural (think oilfield)
PEE-can, the way Yankees pronounce it
puh-CON, LBJ said it this way
peh-CAHN, normal modern Central Texas usage

Quote:
pecan (n.)
1712, paccan "the pecan tree," or a related hickory, from French pacane, from an Algonquian word meaning "nut" (cf. Cree pakan "hard-shelled nut," Ojibwa bagaan, Abenaki pagann, Fox /paka:ni/)

Old 05-24-2013, 12:12 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times
Quote:
Of course, we'll always be Gamecock fans, through and through. I am eternally grateful to the University of South Carolina for my husband's ability to earn a steady paycheck. And I look good in garnet and black. But it's nice to know that listing your preferred team isn't required on the Welcome to Texas questionnaire.
I almost punched out Frank Drayton, heir to Drayton Hall, in Big John's in Charleston when Texas defeated Carolina in the 1975 CWS. Mr. Drayton was a little drunk, and a lot obnoxious.

Two years later, being sterling examples of "too poor to paint, too proud to whitewash", they donated Drayton Hall to the National Trust for Historic Preservation.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:29 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:

Another Gamecock alum here. Grew up three miles out North Main St. in Eau Claire. Hit my first tennis ball on the courts of Columbia College.

It could get interesting when the garnet of South Carolina meets the maroon of A & M. I was disappointed years ago when USC(the original) went to a more maroon/burgundy color to distinguish from Georgia's red.

I drove to the Mills-Hyatt House(as it was known in the early '70s) to pick up a scholarship from the SC State Employees Assoc. I thought I was on a different planet and wasn't sure what language the native Charlestonians were speaking! I just knew they all sounded like politicians ! Quite interesting to hear about 'west of the Ashley' or being from Mt. Pleasant, etc as though you were assigned a particular station in life that would never change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin