Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 06:12 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,054,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
What little southern influence Houston has is from Cajuns from Louisiana and you claim Cajuns aren't "southern" so by that logic Houston isn't either.

I admit southern Louisiana is different than other southern states because of the French influence, but northern Louisiana is very much the deep South.
I also have to add that Houston does feel very Southern because of the culture and the history. Yes it has more Hispanic influence than places east of it, but that's becoming more and more common in other Southern cities as well. Houston is green, has lots of pine trees, and a semi-tropical climate, all are things that I would associate with coastal areas in the South. A lot of the local architecture in Houston is more traditional to the South than the Southwest. There are stucco homes in Houston, but they are few and far in between the many brick and wooden, plantation style homes. There's also plenty of fried foods and sweet tea to go around.
To me, Houston is like a flatter, larger version of Atlanta, and on top of that Houston has more in common with most large Southern cities like Atlanta than it does with El Paso, and in some cases it may have more in common with cities further east of it than San Antonio or even Austin. Galveston definitely has more in common with New Orleans than most cities in Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Driving North on MoPac today from Circle C I saw numerous clumps of prickly pear cactus growing in the wooded undeveloped areas along side the highway. It reminded me of this post. You can go walking in the woods and greenbelts all around Austin and find cactus in most of them.

Native Cactus grows all over Texas and even in tropical climates. Cactus is not just a desert plant.

I've seen some really cool looking cactus growing on top of a rocky a cliff above the ocean in the Virgin Islands, where they get tons of rain.
My apologies. I have noticed that in Austin, but I always assumed that they were brought in by people from elsewhere and became common through 'invading' as a non-native species, kind of like how eucalyptus are common in Southern California despite being non-native. However, evidence to the contrary has been shown to me, and I can accept that.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:20 PM

7 posts, read 11,944 times
Default Austin is in the South but with an unique mix

As someone who has lived in the Deep South, I feel Austin Southern, but not truely Southern like Deep South. Texas, in general, doesn't feel like truely Southern or Southwestern, either. I also agree that Texas itself is in another universe as well as Oklahoma. But some Central Texas areas tend to share lots of common things with the South(although Wikipedia says that Austin is in the Southwest) in terms of population, history and cuisine. If you have ever visited Austin or have lived there for years, you might have noticed about the natural scenes of Austin -- lakes, hilly areas, cedar trees, etc. which are non-existents in the dry, desert Southwest. Personally, many things east of i-35 seem more like South -- the further east you go, the more Southern. I noticed that Austin was built to segregate between White and Black along the highway i-35, which was called "Negro District" at the time. And that feels very "Southern" when it comes to the our slavery history of the South (Please don't forget that TX was one of the confederates) As someone above already has mentioned, Hays HS has a football team named "Rebels". That being said, Austin has more Black population than any other Southwestern cities. Well, you hardly see any black people nowadays in Austin, the city is experiencing Black Flight because of the ongoing gentrification of the area and the Hispanic population has been increasing during the decades due to their higher birth rates, those remained early Tejanos and the proximity to Mexico also played a significant role in the demographic changes. I mean, unlike South Texas area or the Southwest, Hispanic population in Austin seems slightly newer than San Antonio but a bit older than my hometown (Now, my hometown has many Hispanics, too). Speaking in terms of food --- The sweet tea, BBQ and fried chickens(Church's is a Texan thing, although it is headquartered in GA now) which are very common things in the South. The Mexican food? Where in the US can't one find Mexican dishes? Chicagoland has more Mexican dishes than Austin as far as I know. Damn, I love tacos!! You can also find Southern Hospitality in Central Texas. Have you ever been to Giddings? Bryan? Or am I the only one who has experienced their Southern Hospitality? As we go back to the geography of Austin --- in the outskirts (mostly SW/NW) you can find some scorpions and more nopals than eastern portion of the city which shares more things with the Southwest. And the weather in that area tends to be slightly drier and cooler. Another reason why Austin is in the South can be described with the automobiles that Texans drive, they drive more American, especially the trucks. Oh, I almost forgot about their music scene....the country music.... the Mr. live music festival "South by Southwest" maybe lots of Austinite or Central Texas things have to do with these words.

Last edited by michaeltx94; 08-17-2014 at 06:41 PM.. Reason: to emphasize some words

Old 09-06-2014, 09:00 PM

81 posts, read 192,307 times
Default Austin is south, or southwestern?

Austin has elements of all, but I think Austin is mostly Southwestern.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:33 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,772,002 times
For me, and certain Austinites might object, Austin feels definitely and defiantly Texan. Of the other big cities, Houston is the largest city in western Louisiana or the Dubai of the U.S., San Antonio in many ways a Mexican provincial capital (a smaller Monterrey), Dallas (A rich man's OKC) is the largest city on the southern great plains, has as much in common with Denver as it does with Houston or Austin or San Antonio. Fort Worth is the charming cow town where the West begins. El Paso should have been the capital of New Mexico. They are all Texan cities, but only Austin is only Texan. Jerry Jeff Walker once called Austin the eastern most city in California but he is wrong, Austin is neither southern, nor southwestern, nor Western, nor Californian, or it is all of them. Basically it is just Texan.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:30 PM

847 posts, read 766,922 times
from a nature point of view Austin is quite southern and no western at all.
That is we have no beautiful mountain vista in our horizons.

From political Point of View Austin is probably right in the center. with that respect you could compare Austin to Colorado kind of place.

From a cultural point of view Austin is more Texan than southern.

if it was not university of Texas, some other educational institutions and the state capital my guess is that Austin would have been more like Dallas.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:43 PM

340 posts, read 645,707 times
In case anyone hasn't mentioned it yet, there is a book on this very topic. Where the West Begins: Debating Texas Identity

Old 09-08-2014, 03:51 PM

847 posts, read 766,922 times
IMHO Texas identity is misnomer.

people in North Texas are really more of Oakie than Texans.

People living within 100 miles Elpaso has more of West Identity than Texas.

People living in East Texas are probably more similar to folks living in Arkansans and Louisiana.

That's because Geography has a gravitational pole where folks living close to the border will inherently have different lifestyles.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:33 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
After driving extensively through the South, I've determined that since Austin does not have a Waffle House at every Interstate Exit, it can NOT be considered part of the South.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:23 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Topography explains everything.
Attached Thumbnails
Is Austin a southern, southwestern, or western city?-untitled.png  

Old 09-12-2014, 12:33 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Topography explains everything.
What topographical feature is "confused"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin