Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 06:35 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
I am surprized to hear that the median price is $190... that is good news. I was under the impression that you can't find anything decent in Austin for less than $250 and that most of the decent homes are $300 and up.
The problem is finding decent quality housing. The only reason I live 9 miles from downtown is that 90% of the housing between myself and downtown is "tear-down". Finding new construction, close-in for less than 250K is the holy-grail of homeownership as far as I'm concerned. Forget good schools even..this is why people are packing in Circle C and surrounding areas. The only other place to find a house in a decent district that isn't falling down would be around SouthPark Meadows at the < 250K pricepoint or even further out near Brodie/1626.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
South of Slaughter is not really "near" SoCo, unfortunately.
if you want to get technical, So.Congress actually stops at Slaughter, I don't think you can get any closer than that.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:45 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
jobert, I'd be interested to see a house that you would consider a "tear-down". And what you'd consider to be an acceptable house. Sometimes people consider houses to be tear-downs that are perfectly livable, just don't have all the latest bells and whistles (that some other people don't happen to want, come right down to it - there are some people who won't buy a house if it has granite, for example, if it doesn't fit the original design and style of the house), so it's hard to assume what someone means when they use that term.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:15 AM

For me, "tear down" is a house 1000sf or less, foundation problems, over 40 years old with an a/c bill that reflects the decay of insulative properties of the exterior envelope.

Basically if it has no architectural value outside of being a small box for housing a person with hideous maintenance costs.

unfortunately, the description above pertains to most housing within 8 miles of downtown for <250K. The cheapest area is in North Austin near Rundberg/35, but that's the worst area in Austin. You are looking at anywhere between $2-$5/sf for everywhere else. If have more than 500K, you are in good shape.

okay, argue.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:51 AM

434 posts, read 1,080,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OA 5599 View Post
I would like to point out that rail noise can become very bearable. I lived less than a block from a very active rail line for two years (not in Austin), in a relatively poorly-constructed wood-frame house built in the 1940's. After a month or two of living there I was able to sleep right through trails rolling through town. I'm sure in a more modern building with better soundproofing it would be even easier.
LOL. Well, the Spring tower is about 10 to 15 yards from the track AND it's a corner section with a 90 degree turn. Rail cars make the loudest noise (both high-pitch and low-pitch) when they are making a turn. I don't know what constitutes "modern" "sound-proofing" but I don't think for a second that the noise level heard at 30th floor should be deemed tolerable or that any smart buyer who's willing to shell out 300K or more should settle for such a lousy place and location.

There is a thread about unbearably noisy footsteps from units above. It's an opportunity for you to make some money by showing people how to sleep through the noise in a month or two - some have not been able to do that after 2 years.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:42 PM

938 posts, read 3,506,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinite45 View Post
LOL. Well, the Spring tower is about 10 to 15 yards from the track AND it's a corner section with a 90 degree turn. Rail cars make the loudest noise (both high-pitch and low-pitch) when they are making a turn. I don't know what constitutes "modern" "sound-proofing" but I don't think for a second that the noise level heard at 30th floor should be deemed tolerable or that any smart buyer who's willing to shell out 300K or more should settle for such a lousy place and location.

There is a thread about unbearably noisy footsteps from units above. It's an opportunity for you to make some money by showing people how to sleep through the noise in a month or two - some have not been able to do that after 2 years.
Modern = a building built recently with better windows and insulation. The house I lived in was pretty crappy and old...the noise came right through the walls. Trails also have to slow down around that turn (I spend a lot of time around Town Lake and they go quite slow over the bridge), so although the wheels will be squeaking, the sound of the train itself won't be anywhere near as "thundering" because it is so slow.

My point is that living next to a rail line is certainly not unbearable, as I lived very close to one for two years, where the trains came through fairly fast and often. Would I pay $300k for a condo in downtown Austin, however? Hell no, for $300k I'd expect a nice house in a decent neighborhood with a yard and a garage, and in fact the housing prices in Austin are one reason I'm settling down in a more affordable city, where I will be able to buy a very nice home for that much money.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:01 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OA 5599 View Post
My point is that living next to a rail line is certainly not unbearable, as I lived very close to one for two years, where the trains came through fairly fast and often. Would I pay $300k for a condo in downtown Austin, however? Hell no, for $300k I'd expect a nice house in a decent neighborhood with a yard and a garage, and in fact the housing prices in Austin are one reason I'm settling down in a more affordable city, where I will be able to buy a very nice home for that much money.
I agree... it's not for everyone, but some people like living near the rail, or at least tolerate it quite easily. And it's not like something new in downtown living, lots of places have been built right along the tracks... like the old Railyard apartments (condos now), the 404 Rio Grande (former Goodwill site), Gables West Ave, etc.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:20 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
For me, "tear down" is a house 1000sf or less, foundation problems, over 40 years old with an a/c bill that reflects the decay of insulative properties of the exterior envelope.

Basically if it has no architectural value outside of being a small box for housing a person with hideous maintenance costs.

unfortunately, the description above pertains to most housing within 8 miles of downtown for <250K. The cheapest area is in North Austin near Rundberg/35, but that's the worst area in Austin. You are looking at anywhere between $2-$5/sf for everywhere else. If have more than 500K, you are in good shape.

okay, argue.
Well, I'm not going to argue, I'm just going to point out that I can find many houses in that price range closer to downtown (if downtown is your primary destination, which for many, most, people in Austin it's not) that do not fit your description. I can find quite a few that DO fit your description that people will pay MORE than $250,000 for, but that's another matter. They will, of course, be over 40 years old in many cases, but that in and of itself is not an indicator of a home being a "tear down" and in some cases is quite the opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin