Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 09:36 PM

139 posts, read 350,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Yes, but it appears to be the Californians who,when they get to the Land of Reasonable Grocery Prices, can't seem to let go of the idea that they just have to have a Trader Joe's, much moreso than other relocatees talk about it. So they get stuck with it appearing to be just a California Cult.
Trader Joe's IS reasonable prices! As cheap (or cheaper) as HEB, but organic (or close to it) type quality. This is why they are cultish about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 09:49 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,317,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaggie View Post
Well, don't knock it until you try it.

I know I have only lived in Texas for 30 of my 46 years so I am not a "life long Texan" like you so I actually have shopped at BOTH both HEB and Trader Joes and I like both stores very much. They are quite different in what they offer and if TJs was to come to Austin I would shop at both and for different reasons.

Maybe you should hold back your contempt of the store (and those who like and miss it) until you have actually step foot in one.
I've never shopped in one, so I don't understand the following, but if- and when- they come, I'll be sure to take a look around.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:51 PM

515 posts, read 1,396,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
But Trader Joe's is in far more markets than just CA. I agree it is something of a cult, but when you lived in high cost of living areas like some of us have where groceries are 20 to 30 percent higher, TJ's was a lifesaver. I don't think it would be as a big a deal here to me now that we have an HEB close by, but back in Seattle it saved our budget.
I agree. Trader Joe's is not a California thing, they are in a lot of other states too. Trader Joe's is wonderful not only because of the great food choices, but you can't beat their prices. That's the one thing I really miss when we finally move to Austin. I know Austin has some great markets (I've been to Central Market), but I LOVE Trader Joe's.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:52 PM

14 posts, read 31,663 times
Hey, I poo-poo'ed Aldi until I actually went there. The prices are awesome, the produce is not "questionable," it's great. Many good buys there. Take it from someone who went from "Executive" to "thrifty," it's good.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:58 PM

I just kind of wonder how a store can have products that are organic and wholesome AND bargain basement priced. Are they really cheaper than farmers market produce???

Old 06-17-2009, 10:08 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,124,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I just kind of wonder how a store can have products that are organic and wholesome AND bargain basement priced. Are they really cheaper than farmers market produce???
I never really got the produce there. It is much more about the quality of the frozen foods, nuts, pastas, breads, wine, candies, and cheese for me.

Their frozen cheesecake is the best cheesecake I have ever had, and I have had cheesecakes in many fancy restaurants all over the US.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodinvilleguy View Post
I never really got the produce there. It is much more about the quality of the frozen foods, nuts, pastas, breads, wine, candies, and cheese for me.

Their frozen cheesecake is the best cheesecake I have ever had, and I have had cheesecakes in many fancy restaurants all over the US.
Well, I guess that would make sense for some, then. I buy zero to very few 'convenience foods'. I am the one who shops the perimeter of a grocery store, and love to cook. I do buy pastas and of course..wine...so I would probably check it out for that. It would have to be really amazing, though. And the Hawaiian shirts...eh.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:59 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,124,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Well, I guess that would make sense for some, then. I buy zero to very few 'convenience foods'. I am the one who shops the perimeter of a grocery store, and love to cook. I do buy pastas and of course..wine...so I would probably check it out for that. It would have to be really amazing, though. And the Hawaiian shirts...eh.
By frozen, typically I don't get convience foods. I usually get frozen veggies, fish, or fruit. The quality of the veggies is amazing, and studies have shown that frozen veggies are many times actually more nutritious than fresh. of course now I grow a lot of my own veggies.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:36 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,534,987 times
I thought I would die without Central Market when I moved. Now I would certainly die without Trader Joes. Amazing products, great prices, small stores that you can get in and out quickly with super cool checkout staff. You could only hope this would come to Texas. And why are they so cheap? NO ADVERTISING NECESSARY. Great to shop with kids in TJ's. They don't bat an eye at what's on the shelf unless they have eaten and liked it. And FYI, 2 BUCK CHUCK Chardonnay is such a big deal because it won some pretty big CA wine competitions on blind taste tests. My in-laws live near Napa and they thought it was the funniest thing ever. And yeah, I am a pretty big foodie myself. TJ's is where I get 90% of my groceries.

Last edited by texastrigirl; 06-17-2009 at 11:41 PM.. Reason: add

Old 06-17-2009, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post
I thought I would die without Central Market when I moved. Now I would certainly die without Trader Joes. Amazing products, great prices, small stores that you can get in and out quickly with super cool checkout staff. You could only hope this would come to Texas. And why are they so cheap? NO ADVERTISING NECESSARY. Great to shop with kids in TJ's. They don't bat an eye at what's on the shelf unless they have eaten and liked it. And FYI, 2 BUCK CHUCK Chardonnay is such a big deal because it won some pretty big CA wine competitions on blind taste tests. My in-laws live near Napa and they thought it was the funniest thing ever. And yeah, I am a pretty big foodie myself. TJ's is where I get 90% of my groceries.
Ha, I thought 'two buck chuck' was ground beef! It sounds less nasty now that I know it's wine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin