Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 05:26 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,040,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
Ah, yes, the Glory Days. My brother could drink, behind the wheel, while driving, at age 18. Legally. Then they pushed it to 19, then 21, concurrently ramping up the law to the over-reaching BS of .08 and mandatory blood tests. Meanwhile many people, and every single female, today is on her phone when behind the wheel. That's not sexist, I can document it.
Good point per cell use.......seems that there are about 1001 things cops can pull you over for now....and indeed, you have essentially NO rights against involuntary search and seizure of not only your possessions, but even your person, per forced blood tests....still hard to believe that they can hold you down and forcefeed a needle in your arm to pull out personal bodily fluids.......not to mention finger and probe everything in your car under the cover of seatbelt laws(ultimate trojan law that supercedes essentially all your rights).....

Welcome to the Police States of America(PS of A)......buy your ticket and step on down!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncronejr View Post
I remember getting beer from a beer "pop machine" when I was stationed at Ft Sam Houston back in the early 80's
Bases still have those.....but now they have water and juice dispensers as well to keep up with the times.....we need more beer pop machines.....
how about machines that mix drinks, like the old pop machines that shot syryp in your glass?

Old 07-01-2009, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
I hate the one that's up now, too. But, if that's a canine drunk, it's the weirdest-looking dog I've ever seen.
Meant to type feline, but, that cat is pretty ballsy, so he could be considered doglike......

Old 07-01-2009, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
My dad would always stop at 'Stop and Go' and pick up a Coors. He'd drive me home while sipping on that. Can you believe it? Oh, and no seatbelts or airbags. Somehow we survived.
The "twins" were grandfathered into the old drinking laws.....had a special
right in Texas state constitution to do whatever they jolly well pleased with alcohol.....

Moderator cut: image removed

Same with the old man...yes junior, you can get a DUI, be a bellicose, drunken lush, and STILL become president........still helps to have a rich
daddy though....

Last edited by Marka; 08-15-2014 at 11:28 AM..

Old 07-01-2009, 05:57 AM

Guns and beer.....very bad idea....

Past closing hour at Shady Grove....

Drunk Texas Armadillo(drinking lone star, what else?)

Old 07-01-2009, 07:23 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,113,557 times
Yep, I remember the good old days when you could drive around drinking beer, then they changed it so the driver could not have an open bottle but passengers could. I wonder how the driving while intoxicated statistics have changed since those laws were enacted. Somehow I bet they have not been reduced.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:00 AM

324 posts, read 1,312,807 times
you can still have a open container in texas. In order to be charged with an open container, the officer has to see you taking a drink and you have to be intoxicated. everyone bought the story that you could no longer even have an open beer in your cupholder. not true. read the law.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:09 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,808,944 times
Get over it, Gore lost. So did Kerry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
The "twins" were grandfathered into the old drinking laws.....had a special
right in Texas state constitution to do whatever they jolly well pleased with alcohol.....

Same with the old man...yes junior, you can get a DUI, be a bellicose, drunken lush, and STILL become president........still helps to have a rich
daddy though....

Old 07-01-2009, 09:42 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,023,374 times
I dunno how the law is written now but, around '93, I learned in defensive driving (of all places and taught on the side by a cop of all people) that the way the law was written, the alcohol had the be in the original container for you to get a ticket. If it was in a styrofoam cup or other generic container, just because it looked, smelled, and tasted like alcohol didn't make it alcohol without a lab test...which supposedly led to all the beverage drive throughs where you could get a margarita to go.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:18 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,279,993 times
Thanks for stirring up good memories, back in '83 when my brother lived in Austin we started out his wedding trip in New Orleans-my grandfather bought me a hurricane and I could drink while walking around Jackson Square-Very Cool, all legal- no fake ID like back in Illinois. Then we did his wedding in Baton Rouge and then drove to Austin. Remember driving through the outer-bands of Hurricane Allison? on I-10.
His buddy reassured me it was quite legal to drink and drive in Austin (& TX). His advise was-"Be careful though, because if a cop sees you its an invitation for him to pull you over and make sure you're not DUI'ing. So I took the family station wagon by myself with a cold one (and one reserve) and went cruising.. Texas made a very good first impression on me
Side note-living in GA in '86 it was OK for passengers to have open containers and I learned what "To GO Cups" were all about. I really liked the song from then with the lyrics" 50 thou a year, buy a lotta beer-the future's so bright, I gotta wear shades" Too bad it took so long to reach that 50 thou a year level, but we still had fun and did alright!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin