Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 07:13 PM
sev sev started this thread

14 posts, read 58,839 times

Advertisements

Alright I have a question for you'all. I spent last weekend in Austin and San Antonio doing all the touristy things plus looking around for a potential relocation. In my travels throughout the two cities, I noticed a lack of options for grocery stores. I saw only 2 Randall's and a whole bunch of H.E.B's, and that was it. Am I missing something? It seems to me that there is a real monopoly and not alot of incentive to keep food prices low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 07:17 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Nope, you're not missing anything. But HEB is A LOT less expensive than most other chains - like Randall's and Krogers. We used to have other stores here, but the prices were so much lower at HEB that they pretty much put them all out of business.

We also have some Super Target and Super WalMart Stores, but I have found HEB to be even cheaper than Wal Mart on most things.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:18 PM

351 posts, read 1,431,468 times
Good observation, and yes grocery prices are high because of it.

In my experience, HEB exploits it's consumers based on demographics. They have every right to do so without any real competition.

I can find cheaper items in Laguna Beach Ca. where the average home is 1.2 million

Old 07-01-2009, 07:18 PM

743 posts, read 1,372,505 times
HEB's incentive to keep food prices low has been the growing presence of Super Walmarts (SW) in Texas. SW was stealing market share, but HEB is now holding its own, probably because shopping there is a much more enjoyable experience than shopping at SW.

Walmart is a big enough threat that HEB would lose market share if they raised prices at whim. It keeps their pricing in check.

We used to have Albertsons, but they closed shop here, and frankly, their prices were higher.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:22 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,795,213 times
I'm in agreement with the OP, and there used to be more options. Kroger, A&P, Handy Andy, HEB, Safeway, Skaggs Alpha Beta/Albertsons, and Tom Thumb/Rylanders/Randalls all were choices in Austin. Some neighborhoods don't even have a neighborhood grocery anymore, at least not within the same proximity as they once did. Forgot to mention Fiesta, but I never make my way over there. I left Whole Foods out, because it's not someplace I could shop on a regular basis.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:33 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,928,737 times
It's one of my pet peeves about Austin. For a town this size to only have 2 major grocery shopping options is wrong. Whole Foods, Central Market, Fiesta, Sun Harvest, Newflower and Super Target provide some options, but they are not one-stop shopping like HEB. I buy some things at Randalls but their overall prices are too high. I wish we had a Kroger.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:22 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,920 times
Don't get the Cali transplants started on this or they will start complaining about that Trader Joe's place.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:27 PM

575 posts, read 2,496,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzyzx View Post
Good observation, and yes grocery prices are high because of it.

In my experience, HEB exploits it's consumers based on demographics. They have every right to do so without any real competition.

I can find cheaper items in Laguna Beach Ca. where the average home is 1.2 million
Really, I will be in Laguna Beach and Laguna Niguel soon. I will make sure I visit an Albertson's etc. I think it will be a wash at worst, and 10-15% less here at best. I don't mind being wrong, but I remember being happy the groceries were less here.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:28 PM

575 posts, read 2,496,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
Don't get the Cali transplants started on this or they will start complaining about that Trader Joe's place.
Well now that YOU brought it up... Oh, never mind.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:54 PM

351 posts, read 1,431,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCalitoSteinerRanch View Post
Really, I will be in Laguna Beach and Laguna Niguel soon. I will make sure I visit an Albertson's etc. I think it will be a wash at worst, and 10-15% less here at best. I don't mind being wrong, but I remember being happy the groceries were less here.
Great, Make sure you purchase everything that I purchase
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin