Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 07:57 AM

4 posts, read 11,480 times

Advertisements

Hi all.

My wife and I are considering Canyon Creek for our young family. I know about the quality of schools and the commute to downtown but know very little about the neighborhood itself. I've found a few things from old threads on here but would love to hear from people who are familiar with the neighborhood (residents, parks, pools, other amenities, etc.).

Thank you in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 08:16 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,124,153 times
one thing to be aware of is that canyon creek is zoned to two different districts. otherwise it is a pretty generic suburb.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:51 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,215,221 times
It's very nice - scenic, with the large oaks everywhere although the newest parts not as much - and highly coveted. The homes are generally large throughout the various pockets of the development, which have different names. We looked at RRISD homes in the area during our home search a year ago but finally decided the extra commute time on 620 wasn't worth it based on our work locations. That said, families love Canyon Creek Elem school -- top rated. The park is very nice and our friends like the trails. We have several very close friends who live in Canyon Creek.

You will get more sq feet for your money here than neighborhoods due east zoned to Spicewood Elem and Laurel Mountain and the homes will be newer.

The RRISD portion of Canyon Creek is zoned to Westwood HS just like the neighborhoods above BUT they go to different middle schools (Canyon Vista MS vs. Noel Grisham MS for Canyon Creek.) Canyon Vista MS is ranked higher but who knows where Grisham will be in a decade.

The homes GO QUICKLY. A year ago, they were going for close to asking price or over and within two days of going on the market. Frankly, the neighborhood is dominated by one realtor who knows her sh*t when it comes to selling homes there. She sells more in that neighborhood than all others combined.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:20 AM

318 posts, read 670,178 times
We looked very briefly in there. Seemed to have a great community vibe~we drove through on one of the neighborhood festival days.

I didn't like that the houses seemed on top of one another and I didn't like the drive down 620.

However, the neighborhood itself seems very nice.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:39 AM

326 posts, read 684,906 times
Canyon Creek is zoned to two different districts? Where's the cutoff? I was under the impression that the entire neighborhood was zoned to Westwood HS in RRISD. My family is currently house-hunting once again and this neighborhood is just one of our many options. I've lived in the LT area all of my life so I don't have much inside information on the neighborhood. However, from outsider appearances alone, I like the neighborhood a lot. I like the location because there's a lot of good amenities nearby.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:19 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,124,153 times
http://www.roundrockisd.org/Modules/...cumentid=18480

Old 03-17-2013, 09:34 PM

64 posts, read 131,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTravisAlum View Post
Canyon Creek is zoned to two different districts? Where's the cutoff? I was under the impression that the entire neighborhood was zoned to Westwood HS in RRISD. My family is currently house-hunting once again and this neighborhood is just one of our many options. I've lived in the LT area all of my life so I don't have much inside information on the neighborhood. However, from outsider appearances alone, I like the neighborhood a lot. I like the location because there's a lot of good amenities nearby.
A small portion of Canyon Creek is zoned to Leander ISD and goes to Vandegrift High School. Either school is a great choice for a kid's public education. In fact, I would say that Four Points Middle School (LISD School) is better than Grishim Middle School only because Purple Sage Elementary and Anderson Mill Elementary schools are not as great.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:19 AM

320 posts, read 486,905 times
There are only a few streets closer to 620 that are zoned LISD, Grandview Hills Elementary - an IB school. http://www.leanderisd.org/users/0001...StreetList.pdf.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:03 AM

326 posts, read 684,906 times
Quote:
Oh BTW, after going through this again, my family decided to stay put. We've tried many times, but, in the end, we just can't leave the LT area. There are too many pros that outweigh the cons, and we have strong roots here. Just thought I'd let ya know where we ended up!!

Old 05-20-2013, 12:42 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,315,579 times
Quote:
Oh BTW, after going through this again, my family decided to stay put. We've tried many times, but, in the end, we just can't leave the LT area. There are too many pros that outweigh the cons, and we have strong roots here. Just thought I'd let ya know where we ended up!!
Curious, what do you consider the cons of the LT area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin