Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2009, 11:52 AM

6 posts, read 26,855 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking of moving out of California once he retires in a few years. Since "a few years" will be here before we know it, we plan to start traveling and investigating different cities outside California. Austin was recently suggested by my father, so we plan to head out and visit in the next couple of months. If you are familiar with Austin, will you please send me a list of communities (in Austin or its suburbs) that would be a good fit for my family. I have never been to Austin, so I am open to everything!! Here is our info to assist with your suggestions...

1. Even though we are moving following my husband's retirement, please keep in mind that he is 10 years older than me. We are still a very young, active family, so please do not consider us "retired."

2. We have two children, who will be around 7 and 8 yrs old when we move.

3. GREAT schools is THE MOST IMPORTANT criteria.

4. Good community for families.

5. We enjoy running and cycling, so trails would be great... but not a deal breaker.

6. I would love to have a decent size yard (enough space for a pool and two big dogs).

7. The big question... budget. We want to really scale back our mortgage so we can spend all of our free time traveling. Anything around/under $350,000 would be great... but we can always go higher if necessary.

8. Last. We are a really outgoing family and love communities where people are very friendly and polite... and neighbors actually get to know each other.

9. Please do not worry about commuting issues. I commute 30 miles INTO downtown Los Angeles, so I am guessing things cannot be any worse in Austin. Am I wrong??

Any suggestions?? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 01:07 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,433,942 times
Try SW Austin, Meridian and Circle C.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:42 PM

Thanks!

Old 07-19-2009, 01:42 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Since you say great schools are the most important criteria, and commute is not, and with your price point in mind, I'd recommend checking into these school districts with your specific kids in mind (since a school that is great for one kid might be a disaster for another): Lake Travis ISD, Leander ISD, Liberty Hill ISD, Round Rock ISD, Dripping Springs ISD. There are good schools in Austin proper, as well, of course, but those are ones you'll want to make sure to check out Go to GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community and get some feedback from parents with kids in these schools. Once you've narrowed it down a bit, call and talk to the schools themselves to get a feel for what clicks best with you. You'll find friendly communities in all of those areas.

Now, talk to us about the kind of house you'd like - size, age, style, etc. That'll help zero in on where you should be looking in particular.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:48 PM

A newer home would be ideal, although we are open to historical areas that have been maintained well. Home size: 2500 sq ft or more (3+ beds, 2+ baths). We are open to various styles. We can also go up in price if $350K will not get us into a very good area. What price range would get us into the "nicer"/safe communities, or is $350K fine?

Old 07-19-2009, 02:09 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Okay, not so much the price, but the 2500 sq. ft. or more is going to move you out of the central Austin area in your price range. Also newer, because while there is some newer infill construction in Central Austin, it's pricey.

In Liberty Hill (a bit out there, but you said commute was not an issue and there's shopping within minutes down 183), some parts of Round Rock, Cedar Park, Leander, Georgetown, Dripping Springs, looking at the MLS right now, you could get a 2700-3000 sq. ft. plus house on a half acre or more (sometimes quite a bit more), built in 2000 or later, in your price range. Drop it to a quarter of an acre, and you can find one in SWW (Village at Western Oaks) and several in the Shady Hollow area. These are all good areas, and that's with a $350,000 cap.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:10 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,055,006 times
SW Austin - Circle C, Villages at Western Oaks, Legend Oaks, Meridian, Shady Hollow
Further out SW - Belterra in Dripping Springs, also Highpoint.

NW Austin - Any newer master planned community in Leander ISD or Round Rock ISD. Steiner Ranch is popular with those fleeing California. All of Cedar Park, Leander, Round Rock are, for the most part, family friendly and oriented toward active family lifestyles and have good public schools.

With a $350K budget, you'll have plenty to choose from as long as you don't need a home bigger than around 3,000 sqft, give or take.

Housing prices should stay flat for the next year or so, then will start rising again, so your budget today with get you more than it might in three years.

Good luck,

Steve

Old 07-19-2009, 06:18 PM

205 posts, read 617,687 times
This is a copy of the post I made to the Dripping Springs/Lago Vista forum...in case you are interested in moving to a lakeside community on Lake Travis, which is just north of Austin but still in the Travis County jurisdication.
I can give direct comment about Lago Vista because my husband and I chose to buy a lot here and finished building our custom home at the end of 2008. I'm a teacher and he's a mailman. Contrary to statements made by people who don't live here, the demographic of Lago Vista has changed dramatically since its inception. Originally it was a planned vision for a resort and retirement community in the 1960s. Most of the old rundown resorts have been demolished and now there are exciting new custom homes. The new homes being built are attracting younger people - professionals and young families probably who are drawn to the lake lifestyle (10 community owned gated and patrolled lakeside parks, boat ramps, 2 golf courses (membership fee payable), beautiful hillside/lakeside/golf views, an amazing recreational facility K Oaks complete with full stage; state of the art audio/visual; holds 150 people - which hosts many of the clubs, weddings, events; free fitness center - we use it daily; a fishing shack for covered fishing out of the heat; swimming pool and pavillions; all of the aforementioned are free to use and you only pay $125 HOA per year! excellent schools (see Lago Vista ISD website for stats.)
Why did we choose to live here? The recreational ammenities are great and well maintained by the HOA. Endless walks to the lake, swimming, fishing, kayaking; hardly any traffic; lots of wildlife to enjoy - there's blue herons that nest in the cliffs by the lake; deer galore; the serenity; the number of clubs we can join - community; dance; fitness; playgroup (North Shore playgroup has more than 200 young mothers); bunko; bridge etc. The 1431 has been improved for easy connect to the new Toll Roads on 183A, 45 and 130. A new railcar service into Austin costs $1. There is a community bus. Community Library with latest technology. Fire service. The nearest emergency room is only 20 minutes away in Cedar Park now with a new hospital and numerous medical center within 30 minutes drive. There is a new town shopping center in Lago Vista with 24hr CVS; supermarket; dentists; doctor; visioncare; pizza; eateries. A couple of garden centers and the latest business to open is a car maintenance service/repair.
The street we live on is surrounded by other custom homes which are spaced apart so you don't feel like you're in "suburbia" but truly are at home by the lake able to enjoy the hill country.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:59 PM

7 posts, read 18,304 times
schnaly, i want to live by you! what is the housing market like?

Old 07-21-2009, 06:39 PM

205 posts, read 617,687 times
Tennis mom: schnaly, i want to live by you! what is the housing market like? In Lago Vista, it's been slow sales, meaning properties are on the market for longer, but the good news for us property owners is houses are selling and our property values are pretty steady (in fact our neighborhood, due to the high-end customs being built - values have risen). You can negotiate the purchase of a recently built (within 0-10 years) home and save yourself tens of thousands if you're prepared to do your homework and research. Some people have transfers or other reasons for leaving so they need to sell. Those are the most negotiable.

DO you want to build or buy an existing house?
There are properties available in all price brackets - depends on what you're looking for: hill country views (most properties have this), lakeview, golf course view or waterfront - you pay a premium for views. If you don't mind being a street or two away from the lake, still easy walking/driving distance you can buy a starter 3brm house in the 100s.
I see you are a "tennis mom" there is a tennis club in Lago Vista. It's a socially active mix of people from the hippie/artsy types to conservationists, healthnuts and military/patriotic. Hill Country Singers group; Performing Arts and organic farmers market every Saturday just began in neighboring Jonestown (3 miles away). A variety of churches to choose from non-denominational to Catholic.
If you like small community where your neighbors actually know who you are and talk to you, then this might be for you. Check out the stats for Lago Vista here at city-data.

My husband keeps asking: where does she live now, she might live in Hawaii and not consider living here, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin