Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 07:01 PM

544 posts, read 1,485,767 times

Advertisements

Thank you all so much for posting those links. I did order a map; it hasn't gotten here yet. From Google maps, it looks like the UT campus is fairly near where I'm going to be working as a personal trainer and yoga instructor, at 907 W 5th St. I'd kind of like to walk to work, or ride a bike. Anybody know what that specific area is like?

I really hate moving somewhere, and all the stress of finding housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 10:53 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigurl3000 View Post
Thank you all so much for posting those links. I did order a map; it hasn't gotten here yet. From Google maps, it looks like the UT campus is fairly near where I'm going to be working as a personal trainer and yoga instructor, at 907 W 5th St. I'd kind of like to walk to work, or ride a bike. Anybody know what that specific area is like?

That's a really nice downtown club you'll be working at, right by some new condo buildings and Whole Foods HQ. Good bus service, too. I might consider skipping the UT-area thing and just live downtown (unless it has to be a house)... The area just south of campus in the northern part of downtown has some older condo buildings -- you might be able to rent cheaply compared to the newer downtown buildings, and be within walking distance to both UT and the gym.

Example buildings would be the Cambridge tower - Cambridge Tower in Austin, TX | Austin Real Estate
or the Penthouse Condos - Penthouse Condos in Austin, TX | Downtown Austin Real Estate

You'd need to contact an apartment locator, since those are condos, to find the ones for lease... An MLS search at austinhomesearch.com would also work. There are probably apartment buildings in that downtown area, too, I just don't know the names...

Old 08-11-2009, 12:01 PM

44 posts, read 128,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondo1984 View Post
the is also the Mosaic at Mueller........ brand new development on the east of 35, just two miles from campus. You can get a 2 bedroom for $1300 but that includes cable/internet.

The prices on the website are higher than in person... also it seemed like a NON undergrad crowd, which we were looking for. THe amenities are amazing
If i am not mistaken the ut shuttle doesn't run to mueller. If it did than that would be a good option.

Most grad students live in North Campus and Far West. Also the Enfield area would be a great if you dont need to be walking distance.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:26 PM

194 posts, read 440,445 times
I just moved into a nice 2/2 with double car port and backyard. I'm in Hyde Park, and my rent is $1050. The area is old but quant, and it is very close to campus. The people are friendly. I am also a grad student, and there is no noise at all near my place. I looked all around town for a place, and Hyde Park seemed to be perfect for an older student.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,958 times
Default UT Housing Options

This place has a huge database of a bunch of properties in West and North Campus. It's a good place to start - [url]http://westcampusliving.com[/url]

Last edited by atxstudent; 10-22-2009 at 10:56 PM..

Old 10-23-2009, 07:52 AM

20 posts, read 72,323 times
A friend of mine was in just your situation when she moved to town for grad school a couple of years ago. She ended up renting a room for a month or two so that she could have time to learn the neighborhoods and get a feel for the area. She ended up renting a cute little house in French Place (just east of the University).

Old 10-23-2009, 08:35 AM

108 posts, read 254,609 times
I used to live in River Crossing Condonium on Fargo drive. It is a very nice town home community. My rent was $850 per month for a 2-2 town home.

The area is bad, but the community is pretty decent and beautiful. There are tens of oaks in the community. The deposit was $250 or something, very reasonable. You can barely get your deposit back, but I still think the community is enjoyable.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:28 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,697,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigurl3000 View Post

French Place is nice and cheaper than Hyde Park (which is also really nice, but overpriced). I would suggest living close to your job. Old West Austin has some duplexes/small homes for rent or cross the river to 78704. I was a grad student at UT for 7 years (MA and PhD) and lived in many different parts of the central city. My favorite parts are: 1) Town Lake trail (be close so you can use it easily) 2) Barton Creek Greenbelt (mountain biking/hiking/tubing/swimming holes) 3) Unique restaurants/bars and vibe in So Austin.

You might look at Grad student housing which is extremely affordable and well connected, though a bit unstable as the Brack-track issue gets worked out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin