Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 02:48 PM

102 posts, read 266,059 times

Advertisements

While i agree with giving bicyclists safety and space should the city ban texting while driving?

Ban on texting while driving to be discussed Thursday (http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/2009/08/25/0825texting.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 02:53 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,781,477 times
Of course they should ban texting! They're not going far enough in my book, drivers talking on non-hands free cellphones are a downright menace. If not for me paying 100% attention and executing emergency manouvers cell phone talkers would have wrecked me about 5 times in the last year alone.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:03 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,062,834 times
I typically think the less government control the better, but in this case, texting while driving should be banned. It's right up there with driving under the influence. See Texting While Driving Kills Virtual Pedestrians | LiveScience

Old 08-25-2009, 03:15 PM

139 posts, read 350,976 times

YouTube - CAUGHT ON TAPE: Texting While Driving

Old 08-25-2009, 03:15 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,109,315 times
The city, state, and federal government should ALL ban texting while driving. It is worse than drinking while driving!

Enforcement might be tricky but if records show that someone was texting just before a serious accident that caused a fatality -- then I want that driver in jail!

Old 08-25-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
The city, state, and federal government should ALL ban texting while driving. It is worse than drinking while driving!

Enforcement might be tricky but if records show that someone was texting just before a serious accident that caused a fatality -- then I want that driver in jail!
Federal government cannot ban it because public welfare (which includes traffic laws) is constitutionally a state's right to regulate. What the fed can do is withhold federal highway funds much the way the Reagan administration did in the eighties to get all states to raise the legal drinking age to 21.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:26 PM

While about cell phone use rather than texting, this is an especially poignant video about the ramifications of distracted driving.
YouTube - Death by Cell Phone: If You Care, We Can Make a Difference

Old 08-25-2009, 03:48 PM

786 posts, read 2,762,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satxguero View Post
While i agree with giving bicyclists safety and space should the city ban texting while driving?

Ban on texting while driving to be discussed Thursday (http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/2009/08/25/0825texting.html - broken link)

While I totally support the ban on texting, I cannot fully agree with the bicycle safety buffer. I agree in principle that cyclists must be able to safely share the road, but as the news item pointed out last night, the new rule will allow a bike to legally take up an entire driving lane. This will just increase frustrations and I think, lead to more incidents. Effectively, a two lane road just became one lane and a bike lane.

I can't wait until some vigilante cyclists take the law to the limit and completely block traffic down town by claiming their 3 foot buffer zone.

One of the cyclists summed it up nicely. Forget the buffer zone. Put in more bike lanes.

I'm glad I do not have to go down town too often, and especially not during the day. It'll be interesting while this thing sorts itself out.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:55 PM

192 posts, read 595,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
While about cell phone use rather than texting, this is an especially poignant video about the ramifications of distracted driving.
YouTube - Death by Cell Phone: If You Care, We Can Make a Difference
Rather than??

They're BOTH dangerous, and should BOTH be banned, for Christ's sake. You CANNOT look at the road and the screen or the buttons while you're dialing or texting. Pull off into a parking lot or something instead of putting other peoples' lives in danger.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cha Ching View Post
Rather than??

They're BOTH dangerous, and should BOTH be banned, for Christ's sake. You CANNOT look at the road and the screen or the buttons while you're dialing or texting. Pull off into a parking lot or something instead of putting other peoples' lives in danger.
The use of the word rather was simply to state that the video was not about texting. I am not sure if you indignation is directed at me, but obviously I support a ban on both, that was the point of posting the video.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin