Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 10:10 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,320,166 times

Advertisements

City considers incentive program to reduce parking | kvue.com Austin

And it's about time! We need to incentivize the use of public transportation and discourage the bringing of cars to DT Austin. Hopefully this will help spur denser and taller residential/office development due to the would-be reduction in parking requirements and costs to developers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 11:46 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,763,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post

And it's about time! We need to incentivize the use of public transportation and discourage the bringing of cars to DT Austin. Hopefully this will help spur denser and taller residential/office development due to the would-be reduction in parking requirements and costs to developers.
Wow, incredibly disappointed in this. A 1 year pilot program? These buildings have 5 year lead times...the results wouldn't be noticible for 20 years or more...and what's with the developer to provide incentives to ride transit? Developers by and large are looking to be out of a building after construction..tenants will be in it for generations.

This is typical bs urbanism-but-not-really crap we've been getting for the last few years since we lost true leadership on the city council that really got it.

How do we get Will Wynn to run again?

Old 03-22-2013, 02:05 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,381,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post

I would love to see this happen! Seriously ... love.

As a public servant, I get a free bus pass. However, while this is an incentive, it's really not enough. The biggest problem with riding the bus is that even if you live close to downtown or even really close to your workplace, you could logically spend two hours getting to and from work. It's rare that I make the three miles from Point A to Point B in 30 minutes or less.

Just MHO, but a good incentive for people who use mass transit might be the option to telecommute a day out of each week, or perhaps they might be given X-amount of comp time when they take mass transit. I'm a big believer in reducing traffic and carbon emissions, but at the same time, I understand so many people don't take Cap Metro. A lot of the routes -- particular those into the 'burbs -- are restricted. A lot of bus stops don't have shelters, making it a total PITA when it's raining, or really hot or cold.

Then you run into the biggest problem: a lot of people -- and I'm disappointed to know some of them -- associate taking mass transit with being "poor" or "lower class." It's going to be really hard to win those hearts and minds ...

Old 03-24-2013, 07:08 PM

252 posts, read 724,718 times
This sounds like another Agenda 21/ICLEI plan that, as a side bonus, will allow the City of Austin, Inc. to create artificial scarcity of parking so they can raise prices.

I have absolutely no desire to ride a bus or other public transportation at 2:30AM on a weekend. Public transportation generally takes too long anyway.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:49 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,452,315 times
Agenda 21 huh? lol.

And nobody is saying that you HAVE to take the bus, you can drive all you want, just you will have a more difficult time finding a sea of parking lots.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:23 AM

227 posts, read 366,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triwing View Post
This sounds like another Agenda 21/ICLEI plan that, as a side bonus, will allow the City of Austin, Inc. to create artificial scarcity of parking so they can raise prices.

I have absolutely no desire to ride a bus or other public transportation at 2:30AM on a weekend. Public transportation generally takes too long anyway.

Actually, it's the current parking *requirements* which create an artificial/subsidized supply of parking. An economist wrote a book called "the high cost of free parking" or something along those lines. Free, or even relatively abundant cheap parking generated by minimum parking requirements is a public bad which is essentially subsidized and an intervention in the market. I personally have no issue on principle with interfering with the market if there's a good case for it, but when it comes to roads, parking, and a number of other issues, people seem to think they are 'free' both in terms of cost and the market, and they are not.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:00 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,739,779 times
No conspiracies here. If anything the conspiracy has been in the auto-oriented zoning and planning in post-WWII America. We are just so used to it that it is no longer controversial.

Why should there be minimum parking requirement at all? If there is so much demand for parking and the means are there, parking will be supplied at a price commensurate with the cost of land and infrastructure by the private sector. When you mandate parking minimums you force those who do not use the parking, i.e. those who do not drive to work, to subsidize those who do. You also discourage beneficial activities like carpooling that saves both parking spaces and reduces congestion.

The Austin CBD of today is not what it was 40 or even 20 years ago and this type of approach is what is needed to fit current demands.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:10 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,122,688 times
Sounds like a good idea, but Austin isn't exactly known for its public transit. I agree that parking requirements need to be changed, but all Texas cities need to better invest in their public transit.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:21 PM

554 posts, read 1,061,217 times
I worked in a building downtown that was 12 floors, 8 of which where parking garage.

Did anyone see the massive hole in the ground that needed to dug at Congress and 3rd for a parking garage at the bottom of the new construction? That ain't cheap. Density + cars = very expensive.

It would be great to see a more free market for parking.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:41 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,122,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veloman777 View Post
I worked in a building downtown that was 12 floors, 8 of which where parking garage.

Did anyone see the massive hole in the ground that needed to dug at Congress and 3rd for a parking garage at the bottom of the new construction? That ain't cheap. Density + cars = very expensive.

It would be great to see a more free market for parking.
I agree along with some private and public mass transit options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: