Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 01:35 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times

Advertisements

1) Whoever said that they imagine drivers in NYC are rude and aggressive-- Residents of NYC tend not to drive very much. They tend to walk or take public transportation. Cab drivers are a bit of another story, however, I know how happy it makes everyone to pretend the northeast is the rudest place on Earth and Austin is the friendliest.

I learned to drive in the Northeast, but have done the bulk of my driving in Texas. I travel around the country for work and frequently have the opportunity to drive in other areas. I drove Friday afternoon at rush hour from New York City (La Guardia Airport) to Hartford and, frankly, there is nothing different about driving here in the northeast-- or California-- and Austin.

Driving is driving and I think people see what they want to see. Luddites who hate cell phones see lots of problems with distracted drivers on cell phones. Pro-Austin politeness folks want to see Austin as polite so they see "Texas standoffs." It's all pretty ridiculous, because what really dictates driving style is speed limits, number of lanes, amount of traffic, quality of the roads versus imaginary regionalism.

But again, it's another opportunity to pretend Austin is somehow different and better-- so go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 03:35 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,795,213 times
Yet, in any city, driving style is also dependent upon familiarity with the route you're taking. People who drive a route every day know which lane to be in, which exit to take and alternate routes if they miss an exit or take the wrong one. If you're not familiar with the layout and back streets, it adds to your own personal stress as you deal with heavy traffic.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:33 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,151,970 times
Not another driving in Austin thread! These always end well.

I'm from NY and I'm always friendly on the road, I think I waved twice this morning on the way in (and it wasn't the "I already cut you off so I'll wave" wave either I was always taught "nose first, goes first."

If however, you try to cut in front of me while I've been waiting patiently in the turning lane for 30 minutes to get on Mopac...it ain't happening.

If you wander into my lane while putting on your makeup (or texting, etc), I will honk, long and loud.

I got back from a visit to LI a few weeks ago and my driving was very aggressive for about a week after I returned. That may have had something to do with driving a rental all out for a week.

Drive safely.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:57 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,567,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
Yet, in any city, driving style is also dependent upon familiarity with the route you're taking. People who drive a route every day know which lane to be in, which exit to take and alternate routes if they miss an exit or take the wrong one. If you're not familiar with the layout and back streets, it adds to your own personal stress as you deal with heavy traffic.
Especially if the streets are laid out all cattywampus like some in Austin are.
My private theory is that they haven't had the money to move most of the signs that say "Right Lane Must Turn Right' and what not...so by the time you actually see them, after inching along the access road for awhile, it's too late to do anything about it.

Some of those signs were perfectlt placed before so many people moved to Austin and the lines go longer.

Etc Etc.

Also lots of college kids and stuff...I wish I could find a list of statistics that measures 'accidents caused by recklessness ~ by city'

Anyone?

Old 09-14-2009, 04:51 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
I, for one, try to let people in who've obviously been caught by being so far back and not knowing the lane goes away. And I've been let in numerous times when I've been caught in similar situations.

If I miss my turn and realize it at the last minute, you know what I do? I go around the block, or to the next exit and take it and come back. Simple!

However, I can tell you, in a new or relatively-new city, my GPS would never leave my side!

Old 09-15-2009, 09:18 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,783,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
It's probably due to the amount of newcomers here. When I first arrived, I was pleasantly surprised by "the wave" but it took me a while to get used to incorporating it myself.

It's all about the local customs. Where I'm from it's discourteous to impede the flow of traffic by not taking your right of way, driving in the left lane at a slower rate than people driving in the right lane, or pulling out in front of someone who is traveling because they are entitled to have others adjust their driving for them (what mickey65 mentioned). Here, people get their panties in a bunch if you don't coo at them by waving. It's a petty thing to get angry over, but hey-- it's Texas.
When someone opens a door for another, they should say "Thanks" with a smile.

When someone allows another to enter traffic (by slowing down) they should toss them a wave.

If one thinks that requesting this (or expecting this) has anything to do with "cooing" or "having panties in a bunch"....then they are showing goofy logic....& (imo) they should reconsider the state they're living in.

& it's been been a tradition (or law) in Texas to use the left lane for passing, so i agree that impeding the right of way in the left lane is "discourteous".....I'm guessing these "impeders" are probably transplants.

Last edited by hound 109; 09-15-2009 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: making things third person

Old 09-15-2009, 10:02 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
When someone opens a door for you, you should say "Thanks" with a smile.

When someone allows you to enter traffic (by slowing down) you should toss them a wave.

If you think that requesting this (or expecting this) has anything to do with "cooing" or "having panties in a bunch"....then you are showing goofy logic....& (imo) you should reconsider the state you're living in.

& it's been been a tradition (or law) in Texas to use the left lane for passing, so i agree that impeding the right of way in the left lane is "discourteous".....I'm guessing these "impeders" are probably transplants.
I don't know about that. When I suggested on a thread last year that passing in the left lane was the law, a couple of native Texans that post here regularly took me to task saying that it wasn't and that if people are driving the speed limit in the left lane then it doesn't matter that there is faster traffic waiting to pass. Now, if one reads Texas TRANSPORTATION CODE, TITLE 7. VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC, SUBTITLE C. RULES OF THE ROAD
CHAPTER 545. OPERATION AND MOVEMENT OF VEHICLES, I am inclined that you are right about it being the law. However, it wasn't transplants that jumped all over me suggesting I was incorrect about it.

Last edited by Jennibc; 09-15-2009 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: subsitute there for their

Old 09-15-2009, 10:07 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,928,737 times
I have to drive up 183 between Burnet and Oak Knoll several times a week. The hwy goes from 3 lanes to 2 to allow the traffic merging from Mopac to have their own lane. Every single time I drive that stretch of hwy I am utterly amazed that people stay in the lane that's disappearing right up until they are forced to merge. I wish there was some better signage indicating that folks need to merge left. Those little signs showing one lane ending are pretty useless.

There are a couple of other roads with merging lanes and people stay in the lane that's ending and then get mad at you when your lane meets theirs -Spicewood Springs just West of Mesa and Metric southbound right before 183. The signs indicating which lanes are ending don't seem to be relevant.

I have to say though, I noticed when I was in California recently, they have these giant arrows painted on the lane that's going away directing people into the the correct lane. I thought it was a great idea except that no one paid any attention to them there either!

Old 09-15-2009, 10:11 AM

786 posts, read 2,762,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
I don't know about that. When I suggested on a thread last year that passing in the left lane was the law, a couple of native Texans that post here regularly took me to task saying that it wasn't and that if people are driving the speed limit in the left lane then it doesn't matter that there is faster traffic waiting to pass. Now, if one reads Texas TRANSPORTATION CODE, TITLE 7. VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC, SUBTITLE C. RULES OF THE ROAD
CHAPTER 545. OPERATION AND MOVEMENT OF VEHICLES, I am inclined that you are right about it being the law. However, it wasn't transplants that jumped all over me suggesting I was incorrect about it.

NO Jen!!!!! Don't bring this up again. The forum barely survived that last battle on this subject.

I agree that poor left lane driving practice is one of the biggest issues here, regardless of whether they are driving too fast or too slow. And I can't tell if its transplants or locals.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:51 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Sorry, but this native Texas who's been driving in this state for some (oh, Lord, has it been that long?) 44 years now begs to disagree with you (and so do the state statutes). In specific areas TxDOT has the authority, if they so choose, to post that that specific area is a left lane for passing only area, but that does not apply to any area that is not so posted. That you want to drive like a bat out of hell doesn't make it the law that everyone who doesn't has to get out of your way. (With the usual caveat that yes, I DO get out of the way, if I should happen to be in the left lane, of such Batman wannabes because I want to pass them by the side of the road with the nice man with the flashing lights a little later on.) "Slower traffic move right" does not mean "speed limit does not count if you're in the left lane so anyone who isn't driving as fast as you want to above the limit is impeding you and they're the problem, not you" - it means "if you're driving less than the speed limit, move right".

Just to get that straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: