Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 09:49 PM

93 posts, read 470,382 times

Advertisements

I see on the map where we are looking to purchase, we are very close to a soil conservation service site. So I'm a city slicker and have no idea what this means even when I google it....Is this a fancy word for city dump??! If not would this be a bad thing to live close to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 11:07 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Maybe you can info on this site:
Home Page | Texas State Soil and Water Conservation Board

It's definitely NOT a garbage dump.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:35 AM

93 posts, read 470,382 times
Thanks for the link. I was reading this last night. I still can't tell if this is a good thing to live next to or not.

Where I am from we have Water Reclamation Sites but these are water/sewage plants. Anyone from the Chicago area know the lovely smell in Stickney, IL?? LOL!!!

Old 10-09-2009, 10:42 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Maybe you can info on this site:
Home Page | Texas State Soil and Water Conservation Board

It's definitely NOT a garbage dump.
I could not find anything on that website that explained what a "soil conservation service site" is, but perhaps the OP could call the county regional office and find out. Regional Office Service Areas | Texas State Soil and Water Conservation Board

Old 12-05-2009, 12:51 PM
RFJ

1 posts, read 49,567 times
I am doing a research paper on Water Management. I am including a portion about Soil Conservation Service Sites. I am having trouble finding information about them myself. I do know that they are reservoirs built to prevent soil erosion. There are a total of 11 of them in Hays County alone. I think they started in the they late thirties or early fourties. As far as public access to the sites. I am not sure if all of them are public or not. I do know that if the State stocks the body of water with fish the land owner is required to allow public access. I grew up fishing many of these lakes and they are very nice small bodies of water.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:39 PM

697 posts, read 3,019,964 times
Try the county offices of the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), which was known as the Soil Conservation Service (SCS) until sometime in the early 1990s (I think). The NRCS is an agency of the US Department of Agriculture, started during the Great Depression to help address the problem of soil loss in farming areas through erosion. They typically have offices in most counties and work in concert with state-funded conservation districts at the county level to implement programs and services in the district.

You can find USDA Service Centers here.

My father was a career SCS/NRCS employee in Arkansas, ending up as a district conservationist (in charge of a county-level office) for the last decade or so before he retired, and my sister worked as an NRCS technician for a few years right out of college.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:07 PM

155 posts, read 377,417 times
Exclamation Is Hwy 380 Slight East of Coit in Prestwyck Subdivision in McKinney a Good Location?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4t4 View Post
I see on the map where we are looking to purchase, we are very close to a soil conservation service site. So I'm a city slicker and have no idea what this means even when I google it....Is this a fancy word for city dump??! If not would this be a bad thing to live close to?
The Google Map shows the Prestwyck Subdivision in McKinney as slightly East of Coit on Hwy. 380.
There are two Soil Conservation Service Sites. What on earth are these?

*** Do Soil Conservation Service Sites bring done Property values? ***

Do they create odors or pollution?

Is this a MUD District in the 380 & Coit area?

Old 06-28-2013, 08:24 PM

181 posts, read 429,324 times
Default Soil Con. sites.

I live in Cedar Park and there are some of these around me. Don't know where I found the info, but I want to hike them. They are private land and the owners get paid not to plant on the land.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:05 PM

1 posts, read 29,958 times
I grew up in East Texas and we have hundreds of them around and 2 on our land. They're basically small lakes with large dirt dams built by state on private land. This was done pre WW II and right after for water reserves during emergencies as we did not have many lakes at that time. They're great to fish and hunt around however this is private land not state. You MUST contact the land owner for permission to use or you would be trespassing an more than likely shot.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:14 AM

181 posts, read 429,324 times
I asked the same question about two years ago because there is a nice piece of land that borders old 183 north of Avery Ranch. Back in the past the owner, it is private land, used to let people fish and boat on it. At some time he closed it to the public because of trash left behind. I stopped hiking it when I found out about it being private land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin