Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 01:34 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,576,108 times

Advertisements

I've actually been on the UT shuttles and they are pretty nice. I wouldn't group them in with the rest of the buses around town. I wonder if the filthiness that the Op saw in the past two weeks was somewhat related to bus/shuttle use during ACL. A lot of the buses that were running the ACL shuttle to and from Zilker and Republic Square were filthy due to the muddy/treated sewage conditions of ACL. They probably didn't have a chance to clean them before they went back to their regular routes last week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 01:46 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,234,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Even if Austin stayed at the exact population of today, it would still need to improve its PT. Add in the inevitable growth and there is potentially a real possibility in the next 20 years of this city getting L.A.-ish.
Only LA has a much better public transportation system, believe it or not. It's not even close to, say, NY, Boston, or Chicago... but you CAN get around safely and relatively easily using their bus system. I did for a little while, anyway. I was surprised by how relatively painless it was.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:03 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,576,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
Only LA has a much better public transportation system, believe it or not. It's not even close to, say, NY, Boston, or Chicago... but you CAN get around safely and relatively easily using their bus system. I did for a little while, anyway. I was surprised by how relatively painless it was.
I would hope that it does have better public transportation because of its size and the crazy amount of taxes that people have to pay there. I think it's still the second largest city in the nation. The city of L.A. is 5 times the population of Austin. The L.A. metro population is about 7 or 8 times the size of the Austin metro population.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:17 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,650,196 times
Quote:
but you CAN get around safely and relatively easily using their bus system.
My brother has ridden the busses in Austin for the past 20 years (he hasn't owned a car in that time). He actually says that they run very close to schedule. He goes to almost every meeting that cap metro has that is public, just to keep up with what is going on. Anyway, there have been times that he has had to bum a ride, but mostly when he was working shift work and the busses did not run that late.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:51 PM

634 posts, read 1,448,738 times
"My brother has ridden the busses in Austin for the past 20 years (he hasn't owned a car in that time). He actually says that they run very close to schedule"

Tis true with some routes. 1L/1M, 5, 3 (sometimes), 10 (sometimes), 7, are usually very easy to catch, but there are so many other routes for which one is essentially left at the mercy of the often unkind Public Transportation Gods.

Also, does your brother live relatively central? I'm merely curious as that can really impact the level of service one receives.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:21 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,959,965 times
Are the central services better? What were your experiences with the UT shuttle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic9460678748 View Post
"My brother has ridden the busses in Austin for the past 20 years (he hasn't owned a car in that time). He actually says that they run very close to schedule"

Tis true with some routes. 1L/1M, 5, 3 (sometimes), 10 (sometimes), 7, are usually very easy to catch, but there are so many other routes for which one is essentially left at the mercy of the often unkind Public Transportation Gods.

Also, does your brother live relatively central? I'm merely curious as that can really impact the level of service one receives.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:55 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,900,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post

Good point. I guess I'm just thinking that the farther/wider Austin spreads, the more expensive it will be to build rail and expand bus service. Because of Austin's relatively small footprint, it would seem that getting a handle on the area now would be much easier than 10-15 years from now when the city doubles.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:38 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,781,477 times
If Austin doesnt pick a stance pretty soon the entire city will grind to a halt and the people will leave. You cant allow big box stores and strip malls to develop where they want albeit in piecemeal, purposefully limit road building/road size and build toll roads as infrastructure, and make a few gestures toward public transport but ultimately be indifferent towards it. Something will give.
I dont like Round Rock but I at least respect their thought process. We're going to be a strip mall city and we're going to build efficent and large roads to service those stores. That at least makes sense.

Austin is going in 5 different directions at once and none of these directions fit with each other.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:58 PM

8 posts, read 34,543 times
I used the UT shuttles exclusively for 3 years when I was a student at UT. Some days I'd make multiple trips to campus because of my terrible schedule.

They weren't horrible, but not great either. I got from point A to point B, and it definitely was better than paying for gas and parking permits to get to campus everyday.

Major issue was that around student apartments off campus during morning and afternoon rush, the bus would load up to max capacity before even finishing the route. Sucky to watch the bus completely drive right past your stop when you're trying to catch a class or worse, an exam. Many times, I found myself walking an extra 15 minutes to the previous stop to get a standing room only spot. Doesn't sound bad, but when you add 15 minutes to walk to the stop, another 10 to go further to the one ahead, a 30 minute ride through rush hour traffic, and another 10 to walk to class...that adds up to a long commute time for living 5 miles away. Especially bad when you've had a bad breakfast burrito; stop and go traffic for half an hour does not help at all

Old 10-13-2009, 11:17 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,702,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
You've just described the bus riding experiences that I've had in San Diego, San Jose, and San Francisco as well. Are there cities where this isn't the case for riding the bus?
I used the bus system in Denver, and can't say it was any different than what was described either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin