Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 10:21 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,557,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodinvilleguy View Post
as said before this is all optional; the don't send in the info or have the checker use their card
Yep, carried a Kroger card in Atlanta for 8 years, never registered it. I've got to say, out here in the 'burbs many of you despise, the HEB and Randall's are busy but very clean and fairly pleasant to shop. I'll admit that shopping at Randall's without a card would be a touch painful but perhaps that is all changing now. Heck, even our Super Target is a nice store and makes it pretty easy to get in and out.

It really varies based on location...the first Randall's I visited a few years back(2222 and the Mo) was a dump(surrounded by homes over $4-500k). It has been improved but actually turned me off to the area initially.

I wouldn't be too disappointed if either one opened in Avery Ranch...as it is, driving 3-4 miles won't kill me...just combine the trip with other errands.

Now, if you want to talk Trader Joe's.....(hee-hee, had to slip that in).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 11:02 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,400,218 times
The closest HEB to me is the skanky one at Koenig and Burnet that they refuse to update. It has one of the highest sales averages per sq ft so why fix it I guess. However, I have taken a lot of my business to other stores because of it. HEB needs to realize there are other fires to fight besides competing with WalMart. I think I will check out Randall's.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:08 AM

125 posts, read 293,961 times
I agree that I do not like the card systems at grocery stores. They track preferences by zip code so I am sure the marketing department loves the card data.
On HEB is anyone else unhappy with the massive push of store brands. The last reset moved most HEB brands to the premium shelf space and national brands to lower shelves.
I do not like grocery shopping at Wally World but going to try again due to HEB private label push.
Hey HEB I like my national brands! Quit pushing the lower cost HEB stuff.
I have been in food manufacturing for over 20 years and produce both national and private label products. The private label products are lower quality.
In addition HEB’s pricing is lower in Houston due to competition.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:00 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
HEB house brands are loaded with genetically modified junk....why the heck do you think it's so cheap?......everything comes with a price....the price you pay for eating house poop at Heebs is being part of a government experiment with genetically altered foodstuff.....same with Aldi's.......cheap means government testing......simple as that....

Now lets all line up for our viral vectors for the non-existent "flu"......
government injections of deactivated mutant viruses up the nose right here please....

Thank you!
It is the same stuff, just private labeled.
The milk is made by Borden, as is the cheese.
The loafs of bread are ButterCrust
The pre-marinated Fajitas are never beat in taste test.

It is just like everything private labeled. It is not made by them, but the high volume purchasing power gets them lower cost.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:05 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSpartan View Post
Not sure about organic milk, but for a standard 1 gallon of skim milk (non-organic), HEB is about 2$ more a gallon compared to Randalls.

A gallon of milk at Randall's is $1.33, according to your math.

I think you will find them very much closer to .20¢ and HEB Hill Country Fair is still less cost.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:28 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,062,179 times
You can get milk for about 2.39 a gallon at Costco. I suppose, that is only of value if you are relatively close to either north or south Costco, otherwise, what you would save on milk you'd waste in time and gas.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:19 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,323,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
Yes. But HEB doesn't ask you for your name, address, and phone number and then scan that info in before each purchase you make. Or charge you more for not wanting to do that. Randall's does. HEB has general demographic info based on store location, but they don't have your personal info to sell to people.
They've been asking me for my zip code lately, I just press 'skip'.
I have a Randall's card that says 'Valued Customer' on it. I didn't have to give any info to get it.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:27 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,557,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
You can get milk for about 2.39 a gallon at Costco. I suppose, that is only of value if you are relatively close to either north or south Costco, otherwise, what you would save on milk you'd waste in time and gas.
Even CVS had a deal on milk this week...~$2.69/gal plus $3 back if you combined with cereal that was also on sale. Their gallon price is usually only a dollar more than their half-gal price...this is 'no-artificial growth hormone' milk from OakFarms. What's more interesting to me is the price of Arizona Teas now that I don't drink a two-liter bottle of Caf-free Diet Coke each day. Back in ATL, the 'cola wars' had either Pepsi or Coke or both @99cents per 2l or often down to 79cents...nice to have Pepsi trying so hard to get product moving in Coke-town. Outside of a convenience store, I don't think I had ever seen soft drinks for $1.79 for 2liters as a standard price until I moved here. Gotta make $$$ somewhere, I guess

Old 10-22-2009, 08:20 PM

151 posts, read 348,586 times
My normal reaction is not to want to give my address for fear of getting junk mail, but I did give it when I signed up for my Kroger card. Now, having tracked my purchases, Kroger sends me coupons in the mail for things I regularly buy. Free loaf of my bread. $1.50 off on the kind of candy I buy. $5 off if I spend $45. It's great; I'm glad I gave them my address. If it causes me to get extra junk mail, I'll just throw it away.

So, does Randall's send out coupons to their cardholders?

Old 10-22-2009, 08:30 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,885,842 times
I signed up for the Randall's card years ago, maybe 10 or so. I used real info back then, and so now I just enter in my phone number. I've never gotten any junk mail from them (or if I have, it was unnoticeable in the mix of regular junk mail).. no phone calls either. Of course, my address has changed a couple of times since then, and I've never updated my data... they never ask. I suppose they could look it up.

I went to the Randall's in Westlake and sure enough, yellow price tags everywhere and greeters in yellow t shirts explaining it... "These are our new everyday prices, it's not a sale..." I couldn't tell if it was significantly cheaper than before. Randall's has always been good for certain things, with the card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin