Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 12:59 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,470,165 times

Advertisements

I don't particularly care for Steiner Ranch, orbius, if only because I can remember how beautiful it was out there before it was built (and because of how it ruined the views - and thus, of course, lowered to some extent the property values, - of the people who were there before in smaller numbers).

As for it being "my neighborhood" and thus my opinion being tainted by some "loyalty" to it, I live out in the country, far from Steiner Ranch (north of Georgetown). Bad guess, that one, in your attempt at attack ad hominem.

What I was pointing out was the fact that there are numerous studies that show that better lighting, while it reduces the fear of crime, doesn't reduce it, and in some cases, has even increased it when better (read: more) lighting was installed, contrary to the expectations when the lighting was "improved". So, if you're afraid of the dark, you'll feel safer with a lot more light, but you won't be safer. That's the case whether it's Steiner Ranch or somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 10:48 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,784,250 times
You will notice in the post after I talked about my opinion of the streetlights I addressed the rest of the post to MM. Thats why the next paragraph begins with MM, .

Old 12-07-2009, 04:50 PM

322 posts, read 904,344 times
my desire for streetlights actually has everything to do with being able to see when driving. Last night we went to Wimberley and it was dark and foggy on that two lane road and I hit a deer (common I know). It did not inspire me to want to move out there and have to deal with that every time I went aywhere. I don't really feel anymore fear about crime when it's dark. I just like to see where I'm going. Though getting out the middle of nowhere to stargaze is nice. It's just not fun to have to commute and go places on twisty, windy, country roads on dark, foggy nights.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:05 AM

809 posts, read 1,864,042 times
Let me just say I LOVE STEINER RANCH! I wouldn't mind moving there one day. I always ride through checking on houses for sale.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:39 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,131,401 times
It always amazes me how polarizing the Steiner Ranch topic is. From my experience people either love it or hate it for valid reasons. They also seem to feel the need to make the other side agree with them.

It wasn't right for me but it is nice, before buying, I would check out all the areas around town and find the one that fits you.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:14 AM

11 posts, read 17,296 times
If you like Steiner Ranch, then you should consider Belterra. Very similar neighborhood, but much smaller (1/2 the size). Great school district (Dripping Springs), but located in a much better area. Views are awesome, amenities are endless and the people here are really nice. There is a new Ele. School located in Belterra & it is rated Exemplary. The middle & high school are both Recognized and are located in Dripping Springs (7 miles away).

I know that the entrance / exit of Steiner is an issue - Belterra has a protected light at the main entrance & 2 other entrances / exits that lead to a protected light on Hwy 290 West.

I've lived here for several years now & cannot imagine a better place to raise a family, make new friends (very active HOA & neighborhood groups) and plant my roots. Commute to Austin is a straight shot & about 20 minutes, in good traffic.

Check it out if you have time. Website: belterratexas.com There is a Welcome Center here too, they can give you a lot of information - they were very helpful when we moved in.

Good luck!

Old 12-10-2009, 11:20 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,470,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittymama View Post
my desire for streetlights actually has everything to do with being able to see when driving. Last night we went to Wimberley and it was dark and foggy on that two lane road and I hit a deer (common I know). It did not inspire me to want to move out there and have to deal with that every time I went aywhere. I don't really feel anymore fear about crime when it's dark. I just like to see where I'm going. Though getting out the middle of nowhere to stargaze is nice. It's just not fun to have to commute and go places on twisty, windy, country roads on dark, foggy nights.
Interestingly, I find it HARDER to drive where there are a lot of lights (particularly oncoming lights) than I do on a dark country road where the lights are my headlights and the occasional oncoming vehicle. I do a fair amount of both kinds of driving - one of the reasons I wanted to move to the country was because of how much I enjoyed the experience of driving country roads. On a clear night with a full or almost-full moon, you can even turn off your headlights and be able to see well enough to drive, if not speed, down the road because your eyes adjust to the darkness quite quickly (even my old eyes).

Not to mention, in fog, at night, lights make it harder to see because they reflect off the fog making it into a dense white cloud visually. So, it's harder to drive in town with a lot of lights in the fog than without as many, in my experience, though in town the fog doesn't tend to be as dense in the first place.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:40 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,026,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeAustinGirl View Post
If you like Steiner Ranch, then you should consider Belterra....the middle & high school are both Recognized and are located in Dripping Springs (7 miles away).
That's why I would never buy there. If you have junior high kids or HS kids (w/o car) and you don't want them on the bus, you've just added 14 miles in morning traffic to your commute.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:51 AM

322 posts, read 904,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Interestingly, I find it HARDER to drive where there are a lot of lights (particularly oncoming lights) than I do on a dark country road where the lights are my headlights and the occasional oncoming vehicle. I do a fair amount of both kinds of driving - one of the reasons I wanted to move to the country was because of how much I enjoyed the experience of driving country roads. On a clear night with a full or almost-full moon, you can even turn off your headlights and be able to see well enough to drive, if not speed, down the road because your eyes adjust to the darkness quite quickly (even my old eyes).

Not to mention, in fog, at night, lights make it harder to see because they reflect off the fog making it into a dense white cloud visually. So, it's harder to drive in town with a lot of lights in the fog than without as many, in my experience, though in town the fog doesn't tend to be as dense in the first place.
Maybe that's really it - the in town fog isn't as bad as out of town fog. I do love driving country roads in the daytime, especially on beautiful sunny days. But then I like to go just about anywhere on a beautiful sunny day, and when it is cold and dark, tend to want to have to drive as little as possible.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:01 PM

19 posts, read 107,977 times
I live in Steiner and I love it. I live towards the back in Bella Mar and it takes me about 7 minutes to leave the subdivision. I really don't mind the drive. There is a new stop light that has pretty much diminished the morning traffic at that intersection. In Steiner, you have a pizza place, wine bar and bistro, new sushi fusion place, Thai restaurant, a market that has some groceries and sandwiches an ice cream shop, a gas station and a new Steakhouse. I find it very convenient. I like that we are near the lake and have all the nature trails and parks. It is kid friendly and people are always out and about. For me and my family it works. We wanted to be in the NW part of Austin by the lake. We liked Riverplace, but we wanted to build new and Riverplace's new construction was out of our price range. I also love to go to the Hill Country Galleria. It has tons of new eateries, shopping, movies and a library. It takes me about 20 minutes to get there. Downtown takes about 25 minutes not during peak hours. I guess the only negative are the taxes, which coming from Florida are high. I get over the taxes when I see how great our schools are. I hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin