Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 07:51 AM

24 posts, read 371,922 times

Advertisements

Yes, send me to Texas any day! Where people don't think they live in the greatest place on earth....oh wait a minute....

Old 05-19-2007, 11:22 AM
jak

12 posts, read 45,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhwest View Post
I'm Mormon and DH and I are thinking of moving to Austin. Is anyone familiar with the LDS community there? We're thinking of Dripping Springs in particular.
I am not Mormon but our neighbors/good friends are and they are happy with the church/ward that they attend. Upon their invitation we have attended some of their social functions (BBQ's, Awana camp out, Halloween party) in which we seen a lot of families and met friendly people. They attend church in Cedar Park but would say that Dripping Springs would have a lot of families too. You may need to make some phone calls to get more information. I know there is a LDS church in Lakeway too because a couple missionaries lived in the same apartment complex as us when we were renting.

Old 05-19-2007, 01:36 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times
Quote:
Being LDS outside of Utah I'm asked every week about why I don't drink or smoke or a million other things without me bringing it up.
My wife and I don't drink or smoke, and we don't go to church. Nobody ever asks us about either.

Who the heck is asking you every week why you don't drink or smoke? How do they even know and why do they care. Just curious.

Old 05-21-2007, 01:22 PM

212 posts, read 1,076,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
My wife and I don't drink or smoke, and we don't go to church. Nobody ever asks us about either.

Who the heck is asking you every week why you don't drink or smoke? How do they even know and why do they care. Just curious.
Interesting. I guess it's just the coworkers and neighbors around me who often ask my take on particular subjects. I think it might be my personality and that I keep my beliefs to myself but if someone asks me I share what I belive without preaching or thinking that I'm better than people who believe different than me.

Many of my friends are athiests, go to other churches or really don't care about religion in general. I also enjoy understaning where other people are coming from and learning about different religions in genreral, so perhaps I'm a little different that way, I'm not sure

I'm glad to hear that Austin is tolerable of others, wether they are religious or not and there is a nice variety in the area's culture and background and that those differences are appreciated and built upon rather than used to divide the community or neighborhoods. Hopefully that is the correct assumption I'm making after getting to know the area a little.

Old 05-21-2007, 01:40 PM

347 posts, read 1,567,540 times
It seems like there are a lot of Evangelical Christians in the burbs of Austin. I'm a little concerned, like the Atheists, that my kids will be told they're going to Hell since that's what Evangelicals think of Mormons.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:19 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
I know there are some more Evangelical types of churches coming up in Hutto, but I'm just not that style. I'm Baptist, but the church I go to doesn't spend much time discussing other religions, and especially doesn't slam them. We're not big on the way they tend to do that. Just teach your kids to not put so much stock in what they tell them on the playground. Only God knows how God thinks, not a human, so far as I can tell.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:24 AM

443 posts, read 1,541,693 times
I'm a militant atheist, and have had young Mormons doing mission work come by my home on several occasions. I always invite them in for a rigorous religious debate.
I have an Atheist friend in SLC who is *miserable* because of the discrimination/hatred towards non-Mormons.
I promise the Atheist community here will treat you better than the Mormon community there.

If you're a mormon, you need to go rent Orgazmo, by the guys who did southpark. Hi-larious.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:20 PM

212 posts, read 1,076,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satanoid View Post
I'm a militant atheist, and have had young Mormons doing mission work come by my home on several occasions. I always invite them in for a rigorous religious debate.
I have an Atheist friend in SLC who is *miserable* because of the discrimination/hatred towards non-Mormons.
I promise the Atheist community here will treat you better than the Mormon community there.

If you're a mormon, you need to go rent Orgazmo, by the guys who did southpark. Hi-larious.
That's too bad. It's unfortunate our people can't be more tolerant of others with differing beliefs, especially considering our history of persecution in the U.S. during our early days.

I saw Orgazmo on it's opening week in SLC (of all places) while I was going to school. As a big So Park fan I have to say I was disappointed. There were funny parts for sure but they have much better work IMHO. The fundamental plot was flawed which was hard to get over (the cost of marrying in the church - it's free by the way) so for me it just wasn't super funny. Not a movie I would recommend to any LDS people, while it may offend some (most), the humor will be lost on them as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin