Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 01:02 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,783,281 times

Advertisements

Police raid Never Get Busted HQ, Barry Cooper arrested - Stephen C. Webster - Brave New Hooks - True/Slant

Theres an interesting set of blog posts about a Libertarian in the area who wanted to expose corruption in Williamson county.

Now I think what he did is misguided but I also believe the hammer that was brought down on him again and again and again is a good example of what happens when Williamson county gets its teeth into you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 01:58 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,718,260 times
Travis county did too apparantly. I don't think Florence, one of the smallest towns in Williamson County, was his best choice of place to pull that prank.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:34 PM

12,959 posts, read 13,379,778 times
Drug addict drama.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:30 PM

10,116 posts, read 19,433,050 times
Come on, its a statistics game, they want to keep their stats good, so they dismiss a lot of charges..........

Old 12-25-2010, 06:11 PM

42 posts, read 83,859 times
Milam county, a county next to williamson needs this kind of thought, I believe it is going to get to the point. I cannot wait til all criminals who do drugs are prosecuted to the fullness of the extent of the law to know better to possess marijuana and other illegal substances. Its totally uncool to bias opinions on top of facts. I have gotten a ticket in Taylor, that is a town in wilco, Oh yes, I had the fine paid, then I have been pulled over for speeding, just warnings. I am lucky to just get warnings. Anytime I travel into wilco, I play my cool. I just obey the posted speed limit signs. Things are just going to be okay. If you break the law, pay the price. I hope and pray Milam becomes the next williamson county but harsher in the prosecuting of criminals. We have way to many soft justices here. Time will tell.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:37 PM

15,273 posts, read 35,683,572 times
Heh, reading this old thread makes me think of my daughter....she will push the limits until she gets in trouble and sent to time out. After she is there about 5 seconds, she starts sobbing, "I am ready to Listen!" and then thinks it is so unfair that she has to sit through time out still...

Old 03-22-2011, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 3,098 times
I moved to WilCo because of the great reputation it has for low crime - but at what cost? I won't go into the details but I will say when a friend/family member does something that the Sheriff's Dept thinks is wrong - regardless of the situation - they will not stop until they have charges against you. In retrospect, if I had personal dealing with any of the law enforcement in WilCo - I would have moved to Bell County. They are determined to charge any person regardless of what the facts of the case may be. The judges and the DA are "proud" of thier conviction rates so they go along even when the Detective doesn't perform due diligence in investigating a crime. At some point - I will elaborate, however at this point it is still an open case. My advice? - move somewhere else!

Old 03-22-2011, 11:58 AM

53 posts, read 160,417 times
I feel safer in Austin, where there's fewer police per capita and laws are enforced with much less furor, than in Williamson county where it's almost always citizen vs. LEO. Unless you do not do anything moderately illegal (including speeding or changing lanes without signaling), you're statistically - as in, over a long enough period of time - going to incur more fines living in WilCo than costs of any thefts or damages caused by crimes in Austin.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:02 PM

53 posts, read 160,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cth1086 View Post
I am 23 years old and have never been arrested or in any major trouble in my life. I have been attending college with a full time job and "on the right course to life." My apartment lease was up so i decided to move into a house with two other people that were also looking for a new place. Not even two months after we lived there the swat team threw in flash bang grenades and swarmed the house at 7:00 am. Everyone in the house was arrested and taken to jail. Hours later when i am already in the jail i finally start to put together what the hell was going on when they brought me a sheet of paper with my charges on it. "Felony possession of Marijuana in a school zone" was what i was slapped with. Long story short one of the guys i was living with was selling marijuana out of his car and failed to let me know about it. The police investigators told me they knew i had nothing to do with it and that they had been following him for 6 months prior to this. ( four months before i lived with him ) So now im thinking that its all gonna be a misunderstanding and they will let me out in a few hours because im obviously not the guy they wanted. Well turns out that the charges stuck because they marijuana was in his backpack in a spare closet and "i lived there so i should of known about it" There were three of us in the house and he had just enough marijuana to charge us all three with the felony possession when they divided the drugs up equally. I ended up having to do 6 months in county jail and now i am on probation for 10 years. The roommate that they came after they sent strait to prison and is now serving a 3 year sentence without the possibility of getting out early. From day one they told me they knew i had nothing to do with it but they are more worried about their conviction rate in Williamson County (which i believe is in the high 90's) than right and wrong. So now i am in Drug rehab because they said im addicted to marijuana and also have to take a class on "why i need to change my lifestyle." to this day every time they send me to a new class i have to tell my story and every time i get the same response from the instructors / my probation officer..." wow you really got screwed"

If you don't always come home with more money than you left with when you go to Vegas i don't suggest moving here because even the innocent go to jail in this county
6 months in jail. 10 years probation. Felony on your record...

You should have spent more money on a lawyer. This case reeks and you shouldn't have been stuck with any charges regardless of which county was pressing charges.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,673 times
YES, YES, YES to everything Miss Cth1086 has discussed, you have hit it right on the nail sister. I too was just like all these law abiding citizens and still am, however unfortunately I too was somehow on the wrong side of the road and it was WILCO jurisdiction to my horrible luck and now I also am taking the plea bargain (5 yrs felony deferred probation w/ $2,500 fine for 1st time offense EVER IN MY WHOLE LIFE) and yes I too was told by my lawyer who at the time was the public defender for Burnet and LLano counties, DO NOT TAKE THIS TO TRIAL, YOU ARE IN WILLIAMSON COUNTY had it been any other county he would have advised differently not to mention the cost $$$$$ for a jury trial is well unless you have some wealth or rich family members YOU WOULDNT BE ABLE TO AFFORD IT I GUARANTEE. You are so right about the extremely high possibility that not all 12 jurors would find you not guilty, the statistics will tell you that you would more likely be found guilty, even if you are innocent. So YES, YES, YES, right on, amen! You are so telling the truth and even if your not, I AM AND IM LIVING IT RIGHT NOW, LIVING UNDER THE THUMB & SCRUTINY OF WILCO AND THE STATE OF TEXAS and how they so do not hesitate to remind me if I'm ever god forbid late on a monthly payment, that they own me and can and will have me pulled into court to explain to the judge why I am having trouble making my payments in a timely fashion (I'm always on time with the $$$$$, trust) this experience is the worst, most humiliating thing I have ever faced and it makes me feel uncomfortable and uneasy all the time, and I'm not doing anything that should make me feel that way, but it has taken joy and freedom out of my life!!!!!! I too was sentenced unjustly and the arresting officers knew it, but I can assure you not a single one was there in court with me on any occasion to uphold my testimony as truthful and accurate to the best of my knowledge, no sir, it would never happen, not in WILCO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin