Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 08:11 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,332,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerunnerj
Williamson county cops not only fight and stop crime, they look for it.
I'm glad they do.

There's a reason Wilco is one of the safest places in the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 08:15 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times
Let's see, you admit you stole a laptop, then returned it, thus breaking the law, and that means you're a law-abiding citizen? Sounds to me sort of like taking a joy ride in someone else's car, without permission, then putting it back where you found it. Both are illegal; therefore, someone engaging in either does not qualify as "law-abiding citizen", no matter what they might think (or want others to think). What did you expect to happen if you stole someone else's property? Probation, it seems to me, is the best you could hope for.

When you moved to Williamson County, you then object to the fact that you were evaluated and you were required to take courses about getting your life back on track. Again, what did you expect to happen if you broke the law (and you acknowledge that you did)? Sounds to me as if the gentleman you're speaking of was doing his best to help you get your life (and your sense of ethics, apparently) straightened out. Probation and having to take some classes doesn't sound terribly onerous or abusive to me. In fact, it sounds like something you are badly in need of. Having to pay for them, because you committed a crime, seems only reasonable and, actually, part of the education in being responsible for the consequences of your own actions. (Amazing concept!)

What exactly do you consider to be reasonable treatment for someone who is on probation for a crime that they freely acknowledge (at least, on a discussion board) they committed? Really?

And law enforcement of a county having a reputation for being tough on crime is a problem for law-abiding citizens precisely how? Because criminals don't want to move there or commit crimes there?

Old 12-18-2010, 11:03 AM

4 posts, read 15,724 times
Yes, at the time I was a law abiding citizen. I turned my life around, trusted in god, and made a commitment to myself to never steal again, right after I was charged. So yes, I am a law abiding citizen. The best I could hope for would be forgiveness, which is null in the legal system. This was my first offence. Three years probation, and a 5,000 dollar fine.

You are misinterpreting my point. I was placed on probation in houston county. Was under supervision for four months there, and as soon as i had it transferred to wilco, is when the fines and classes and UA's started coming up. I'm saying that williamson county is money hungry and steals its citizens money, far more than any other county I know of. In houston county i payed for none of that junk.

And law enforcement of a county having a reputation for being tough on crime is usually not a problem for law-abiding citizens. You, for instance... have you ever committed a traffic violation? Stayed in the park 20 minutes after curfew? let your dog stop for a leak on someone elses' lawn? You may be more law abiding than others, but no one is completely law abiding.
The problem with Williamson county is that good people, due to the criminal harshness of this county, can be hurt severely. People that do make minor mistakes, then suffer from the iron fist of wilco's fullest extent of the law. Have you had a family member or loved one ever make a mistake? Im thinking not.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:29 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,779,808 times
Theres all kinds of material on the web and theres been a lot of shows on public access about the abuses of the Williamson county criminal justice system. Basically if you live there and you dont fit the mold of middle class cube worker you're in their cross hairs and they will be looking for an excuse to sink their teeth into your life. And when they do they wont let go and they dont play fair.

Old 12-18-2010, 12:18 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,848,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freerunnerj View Post
This thread is not discussing whether or not we deserve what we get if we commit crimes. Of course if we do something illegal, we are in the wrong, and legally deserve to have criminal charges filed upon us. But that's not what this discussion is about! It's about the radicalism Williamson county expresses towards crime, thus leading to unfairness and wrong by the system. Cth1086 is not saying that it's anyone's fault but his for being busted.

FYI, I was placed on probation for a felony burglary of a building. I have never been caught (nor have I used) any illegal substances. My charge was for "burglarizing" a building. And every month, I payed Williamson county to be drug tested. I also payed Williamson county for a class about substance abuse and how it affects me. I have never failed a UA.

When I was 17, I got placed on a deferred adjudication 3 yrs. probation for a state jail felony burglary of a building. I stole a laptop from a school, and returned it less than 24 hours later. This was in Houston county. I moved to Leander, TX. and transferred my community supervision to Williamson county. As soon as i transferred, the wilco probational counselor evaluated me. Do you do drugs? Did you have problems with family or friends in your childhood? Have you ever wanted to hurt anyone? No, No, and No. As far as I told him, I was a perfectly happy, law abiding citizen. And he then "recommended" (read:required) me to take three classes about getting your life back on track, good decisions, dont do drugs, etc. I get charged monthly for UA fees, even if I do not take a UA that month.
I think this board has failed to discuss Williamson county's being a revenue bowl.

I have heard countless stories, being on probation, doing community service, of how wilco is nothing but criminal. How it screws up thousands of lives that might need nothing more than reformation. Not only from the victims, but from probation officers, community service officials, judges in other counties, even wilco sheriffs/police. I had a centerville, tx. police officer once tell me about wilco. Turns out, he was a wilco cop for 20+ years. He told me that he averaged 8 arrests per day, and told me that it was all about Williamson county wanting to keep it's infamous and nationwide known reputation as being one of the hardest-on-crime counties in the U.S. How every official of every department was pressured by it's superior and governing body/official to keep that reputation.
Three days ago at the hearing to terminate my probation early, the district judge jokingly laughed with myself and my personal attorney, about how I was lucky the hearing was with Houston county, and not wilco, which as she put it "prosecutes to the FULLEST extent of the law."

Williamson county cops not only fight and stop crime, they look for it.
Let me get this straight, you are a felon, who robs people, and I am supposed to listen to you about how mean Wilco Police are? Oh yes I know, you were just a kid. It was a prank. The law doesn't apply to people like you.

You tell me you have heard thousands of stories from cops and criminals. Otherwise known as your probation officers and your running buddies. If you have tons of probation officers and all your friends are thugs, then I don't think your felony crime was an isolated incident. As with all things in life it is important to consider the source.

I have yet to hear anyone on this thread prove they were wrongfully accused. They only say "Yeah, I broke the law, and Wilco was really really mean to me about it."

It's not that hard to NOT break the law. It's not that hard to NOT break into buildings and steal things. I knew that at 7, too bad you didn't know about it at 17. We are not talking about speeding here, we are talking about felons whining that they got caught.

As usual though, austin-steve said it best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I'll just say this, same as I'd say to any screw up, victim, or whatever you are:

Your best thinking and your best decisions led to your current circumstances. Your thinking doesn't seem to be changing, so you're in store for more of the same most likely. You picked the wrong people to hang with. That was you decision and your mistake. Don't blame the system.

Steve
Everything you have written leads me to believe that you don't think your crime was a big deal, and that you should have just gotten a slap on the wrist and should be allowed to go on your merry way. The only point of contention you list is that "they were a lot easier on me in houston county".

This is the 2nd time this week that someone has pulled up a year old thread and quoted me. I wonder why? Do I have a fan club?

Old 12-18-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Yes, at the time I was a law abiding citizen. I turned my life around, trusted in god, and made a commitment to myself to never steal again, right after I was charged. So yes, I am a law abiding citizen. The best I could hope for would be forgiveness, which is null in the legal system. This was my first offence. Three years probation, and a 5,000 dollar fine.

You are misinterpreting my point. I was placed on probation in houston county. Was under supervision for four months there, and as soon as i had it transferred to wilco, is when the fines and classes and UA's started coming up. I'm saying that williamson county is money hungry and steals its citizens money, far more than any other county I know of. In houston county i payed for none of that junk.

And law enforcement of a county having a reputation for being tough on crime is usually not a problem for law-abiding citizens. You, for instance... have you ever committed a traffic violation? Stayed in the park 20 minutes after curfew? let your dog stop for a leak on someone elses' lawn? You may be more law abiding than others, but no one is completely law abiding.
The problem with Williamson county is that good people, due to the criminal harshness of this county, can be hurt severely. People that do make minor mistakes, then suffer from the iron fist of wilco's fullest extent of the law. Have you had a family member or loved one ever make a mistake? Im thinking not.
I don't think we are MISUNDERSTANDING your point. We just disagree with you.

We hear that a lot on city-data. "what, you don't agree with me? you must not understand where I am coming from."

No, no. We DO understand. We are smart folks, we understand quite well. Even TexasHorseLady, a woman I never agree with, is a smart cookie. If we disagree with you, it's not because we don't understand, it's because we think you are wrong.

To answer your question, yes, I have had a moving violation. I have quite the lead foot and have racked up an impressive array of speeding tickets spanning 3 states. And everytime I have paid my fine, done my defensive driving, and moved on. Never have I gone "jeez, how can I get out of this, how is this everyones fault but my own?"

There is a large difference between speeding and commiting a felony, and the punishments between the two are commensurate with that fact. You, whatever you are now, WERE a thief. Whatever you are now, that is what you were. And you are suffering for that past.

Your past always haunts you, regardless of how much religion you have found in the present. If only we lived in a world where you could wipe the slate clean just because you were really really sorry about it.

Regardless, Wilco does not violate the law when they prosecute criminals. They are just tough on crime. You can choose whether you live in Wilco or not. Ultimately, the people in charge of the police and judiciary of Wilco serve at the will of the public, and most people in Wilco like their low crime rate.

I mean your argument is like saying "But mom!!! Timmy's mom is letting HIM go to the concert". Well, maybe Timmy's mom is less strict. Why don't you go live at Timmy's house? Your mom, AKA Wilco, is quite the disciplinarian, you need to accept that or vote to change it, or move on. EDIT btw, why are you living in Wilco if you knew how strict it was? Are you gainfully employed or forced to live here because you are living off family/freinds?

I don't see how your life "was ruined" by the tough on crime attitude of Wilco. It sounds to me like your life "was ruined" by the choices you made.

Also, buddy, at the time you weren't "a law abiding citizen". I mean really? "I robbed an old lady this morning, but right now I am not actively breaking any laws, so RIGHT NOW I am a law abiding citizen". I don't think you understand what that phrase means. A convicted felon is not a law abiding citizen. He's the exact opposite.

Last edited by JayBrown80; 12-18-2010 at 12:45 PM..

Old 12-18-2010, 01:29 PM

4 posts, read 15,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
I don't think we are MISUNDERSTANDING your point. We just disagree with you.
We hear that a lot on city-data. "what, you don't agree with me? you must not understand where I am coming from."
No, no. We DO understand. We are smart folks, we understand quite well. Even TexasHorseLady, a woman I never agree with, is a smart cookie. If we disagree with you, it's not because we don't understand, it's because we think you are wrong.
You are completely missing what the original digression was all about. Texashorselady was talking about how the counselor was rightful in giving me the classes. I never, in my original post, mentioned what the counselor was doing was right or wrong. I was giving my testimony and trying to show how wilco did things my previous county didnt do to me. Quit being so frustratedly narrow minded, and try to get back into the argument, if you want a real one.

Quote:
Regardless, Wilco does not violate the law when they prosecute criminals. They are just tough on crime. You can choose whether you live in Wilco or not. Ultimately, the people in charge of the police and judiciary of Wilco serve at the will of the public, and most people in Wilco like their low crime rate.
Williamson county prosecutes more than just criminals. They prosecute people who spit on the sidewalk.. IE they prosecute people who do nothing wrong. And if one tiny violation is discovered, they not only charge with that but twist the law, steal, lie, and charge you untruthfully of things you haven't done.

Quote:
"I robbed an old lady this morning, but right now I am not actively breaking any laws, so RIGHT NOW I am a law abiding citizen"
Exactly!! Thank you! I don't care when it happens, If you commit a crime, change, and never commit another, then yes! You are THEN a law abiding citizen!

Old 12-18-2010, 05:18 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,688,656 times
"Williamson county prosecutes more than just criminals. They prosecute people who spit on the sidewalk.. IE they prosecute people who do nothing wrong. And if one tiny violation is discovered, they not only charge with that but twist the law, steal, lie, and charge you untruthfully of things you haven't done."

You're exaggerating. I also live in Williamson County and this is just not true.

"Thank you for displaying, in this sentence, how biased, opinionated, critical, and quit frankly, stupid, you are being in this discussion. Burglary and robbery are two completely different things. My 12 year old brother knows that. Burglary of a building has now turned into robbing people..hmmm. You, sir, are an idiot."

You burglarized a building and robbed some students the opportunity of having a computer to study on.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:55 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times
The building belongs to people. The laptop belonged to people; even if it was a school district, that school district, and the classes it teaches, are made up of, guess what, people. They certainly didn't belong to themselves. So, yes, you stole from people; don't expect us to believe that you did not just because you're trying to rationalize it to yourself that way.

By the way, I live in Williamson County. I've gotten a couple of tickets, and admitted that, yes, I did wrong and I'm suffering the consequences of my own actions. How about you try to do the same?

Old 12-18-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
You are completely missing what the original digression was all about. Texashorselady was talking about how the counselor was rightful in giving me the classes. I never, in my original post, mentioned what the counselor was doing was right or wrong. I was giving my testimony and trying to show how wilco did things my previous county didnt do to me. Quit being so frustratedly narrow minded, and try to get back into the argument, if you want a real one.

Williamson county prosecutes more than just criminals. They prosecute people who spit on the sidewalk.. IE they prosecute people who do nothing wrong. And if one tiny violation is discovered, they not only charge with that but twist the law, steal, lie, and charge you untruthfully of things you haven't done.

Exactly!! Thank you! I don't care when it happens, If you commit a crime, change, and never commit another, then yes! You are THEN a law abiding citizen!
Meh. I don't believe your assertions about Wilco police. I have yet to see anyone arrested for spitting on the sidewalk.

I am not missing any point, I just don't agree with you. You are a self admitted thief. And proud of it too. Before your post got erased I believe you said that it was "easy" and "fun as hell". Maybe Wilco isn't hard enough on you if you are proud of being a thief.

Either way, the only people on this thread who have actually complained about Wilco being a police state are either 1) convicted felons, or 2) crazy conspiracists that have posted endlessly for years that EVERY cop/government official/secret society is out to get them. I don't find either group to be a reliable source of information.

I believe in redemption, and that people can take a hold of their pasts and change for the better. One of the ways they do that is by paying back society for their asshat behavior. That is what you are currently doing. Since I am sure an aspect of your parole is not to engage in any illegal drug use, I don't know why you would complain that Wilco is forcing you to take drug tests. It seems to me that that would be a no brainer.

Of course, in your world, Wilco should just trust you that you have never taken drugs before. I mean, a thief is a trustworthy person after all.

I myself live in Travis county now, but I lived in Wilco for several years, and never had a problem with the police. Of course, I am not a felon, a thief, or a burglar. So.....there's that.

Last edited by JayBrown80; 12-18-2010 at 11:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin