Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 04:45 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,841,486 times

Advertisements

The one thing that Austinites offer one another is tolerance...so Flea market people can hang at the same taco place as lawyers...

I hope you can live and let live?

since Austin's battle cry is "Keep Austin Weird".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 11:26 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,296,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intmd8r View Post
I like that the hotter it gets, the drier it gets. I decided to do a little more research and found that you are correct; which makes me happy!

The data I was originally looking at gave the high temp for the day and the high dew point, but those two usually did not correspond, which was what I didn't realize. I then found some data that showed the temps and corresponding dew points throughout the day, and it appears that the high dew points occur mostly in the middle of the night and first thing in the morning, and then "burn off" as the day goes on and the temps go up.

I was looking at one particular random day in August and it showed the high was 100.6 and the high dew point was like 80. But upon further research, the dew points were right around the low to mid 60's for much of the afternoon when the temps were high.

So it definitely appears, on average, to be less humid there than I was anticipating.
Yep, that sums it up. The early morning has much more moisture in the air, but it is also in the low 70s at that point and comfortable. The afternoons are very hot and dry, and it really sucks, but at least it's not muggy.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:48 PM

189 posts, read 296,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
You are attempting to hijack the thread and change it from "the differences between Seattle and Austin" to "Fat people are disgusting, stop eating ice cream you hogs."
You're the only one hijacking anything. This poster didn't ask what you are concerned about when moving to a location did they? Just cause price per square foot is your thing, it doesn't have to be for others.

Some people live in L.A. or N.Y. because they like being at the fore front of fashion with people that take care of themselves. That is important for some people. Some people like price per square foot.

My intial post helped answer the posters question explaining that yes, there are obese people here too. Your intial post is putting down how some people feel about a certain topic.

I've lived in cities where people were fit, and to be overweight there you stand out. That is incentive enough for many people to try to be fit. You also don't find so many fast food joints in those kind of cities and there are more healthy eating options. Those are concerns to some people when deciding where to live.

This is also about a lifestyle question. Seeing people beat their children makes some people angry, and it also makes some people angry to see obese parents give their obese children junk food. Some cities look down upon that more than others, it's a viable question and concern when picking a city to live in, and some people might want to know if you are going to have to witness that kind of activity on a daily basis before moving there.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:51 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,855,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattV View Post
You're the only one hijacking anything. This poster didn't ask what you are concerned about when moving to a location did they? Just cause price per square foot is your thing, it doesn't have to be for others.

Price per square foot is not my thing. Obviously the sarcasm is lost on you. Oh well.

If you are the type of person that is so disgusted by fat people that it is a factor for you in your decision where you move, then more power to you. If it offends you so much that you have to explain to the OP your story about fat people daring to eat ice cream in public in front of you, more power to you too. I think there are worse things in the world to be. Like a thief or a liar. Which is why I expressed surprise that anyone would make that a factor in their move. I would think that it would be obvious that there are fat people in EVERY city in the world. It is not really an Austin specific thing.

But by all means Matt, warn all posters in the Austin Forum that there are obese people here in Austin. We wouldn't know they exist if you didn't tell us.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:28 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,439,953 times
I used to live in Seattle, my Mom came to visit and said, "Why is everyone dressed in black, why are you wearing black?". I told her that everyone wears black because it rains all the time, and we are depressed because of it. Come to Austin, I moved here 10 years ago from Seattle and never looked back.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:35 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,129,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
I used to live in Seattle, my Mom came to visit and said, "Why is everyone dressed in black, why are you wearing black?". I told her that everyone wears black because it rains all the time, and we are depressed because of it. Come to Austin, I moved here 10 years ago from Seattle and never looked back.
there is a reason why Starbucks, Tully's, and Seattle's Best coffee started in Seattle and has invented the coffee stands. You can't go more than 1/2 mile without passing a coffee stand :-) Caffeine and Zanex replaces Vitamin D.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:49 PM

197 posts, read 613,340 times
Thanks for all the feedback!!! I'm loving everything I am hearing so far!
For all the people worried - No, the comment wasn't an anti-fat comment, but more of a lifestyle question.
Do the majority of people in Austin like to keep themselves up and have good personal standards of grooming and health? A lot of people in Seattle have let themselves go, their houses go, their cars go, and their kids go, which is frustrating when you are trying to raise a family.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:59 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,855,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burlshoe114 View Post
Thanks for all the feedback!!! I'm loving everything I am hearing so far!
For all the people worried - No, the comment wasn't an anti-fat comment, but more of a lifestyle question.
Do the majority of people in Austin like to keep themselves up and have good personal standards of grooming and health? A lot of people in Seattle have let themselves go, their houses go, their cars go, and their kids go, which is frustrating when you are trying to raise a family.
I understand your question. I don't think anyone can say that about ANY city though. Certain neighborhoods are run down, certain ones are not. In any city you can find both. It's not specific to Austin. No one can tell you the majority of Austin is fit. They just don't know. That's why I think you shouldn't consider it as a factor in your move.

We are in the South. The south has a lot of problems with obesity, especially in lower income homes. It's well established that low income equals less access to healthier foods/gym memberships equals obesity. There is a huge government study that says that in relation to Mississippi's obesity problem.

You could probably find well kept neighborhoods with fit trim people in Seattle, you just pay to live next to them. The same is true in Austin. If you live downtown on Lady Bird Lake or in Hyde Park, you will be surrounded by TONS of fit athletic people that are always jogging and drinking protein shakes. But you will pay a lot to have them be your neighbors. If you live in a lower income neighborhood that doesn't have easy access to healthy food or outdoor spaces for excercise, then you probably will find less healthy people.

Hopefully that will help answer your question.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:34 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,124,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
The grass is always greener.
"The grass is always greener." in Seattle in the summer time.

But it is often greener in Austin in the winter.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:43 PM

17 posts, read 49,613 times
We lived in Texas in 1998 for 2 years. After twelve years and 4 other cities (in 2 other states); I would go back to Texas in a heartbeat. Texans have pride like no other state we've lived in. I have only lived in 8 states mind you but for what it is worth. We still keep in touch with our neighbors and found everyone outgoing, fun and easy to get along with. Church was awesome, Schools were awesome and the neighborhoods we very active. We spent a lot of weekends touring at museums (Texas Ranger Museum was the boys favorite & the girls were all about the Riverwalk), Seaworld, Alamo, Bastrop; we kept busy and loved the diversity of affordable things to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin