Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 09:53 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,287,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Ugly ? Ulgy ? Why I think they are so "Texas"
Exactly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 10:17 AM

428 posts, read 1,064,763 times
I like 'em. They have a certain charm to them that makes me think of the good old days of the 50s-early 70s. Not to mention they're great landmarks.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:39 AM

334 posts, read 915,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlx View Post
This one off 620 is actually pretty nice
That lighthouse-looking thing is a water tower? Cool! I guess that is one answer to the question of how to make them more aesthetically pleasing.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:01 PM

629 posts, read 1,652,949 times
Since many people seem to have a cursory interest in elevated water storage tanks (EST), here's my stab at a very general EST 101, just in case anyone wanted to know more about about those big balls of water looming over your head...

EST's come in 3 basic designs: multi-column (far right in image below), pedisphere or spheriod (second to right), and the composite/fluted colum (two left designs). The style chosen largely depends on the size of the tank being built, since some styles are more economical as you get smaller or larger in size. But other factors like aesthetic preference and geographic location also determine the tank style.

(image excerpted from Caldwell Tank promo material)

As far as design goes, the stem or support or column (the vertical part of the tank that has many different names) typically contains only an inflow/outflow pipe, overflow pipe, and access ladder. The actual tank is confined to the 'bulb' at the top. But these tanks have almost infinite designs, e.g. I've seen one EST where the stem was extra-wide and contained office and storage space in addition to the typical pipes and access ladders.

EST's can vary quite a bit in capacity, but the most common sizes seen in developed areas range between half a million to 2 million gallons of water. That is the MAX capacity of the tank, but the actual water level in the tank is almost constantly varying.

For a typical municipal EST, a water treatment plant will pump water into the distribution system continuously. When there is low demand, such as in the middle of the night, much of this water being produced by the treatment plant will pump into the EST. During higher demand period, such as in the morning and evening, demand in the system will be greater than what the treatment plant is producing, so some of the water stored in the EST drains back into the distribution system and to your faucets, showers, etc. This is basically a continuous cycling process. Fire and other heavy water demand events rely on EST's to provide adequate pressure and supply in a (hopefully) short, high demand period.

EST's can cost anywhere from a few hundred thousand to tens of millions of dollars. In my experience, the major tank contractors in Texas are Landmark Structures, CB&I, Caldwell Tanks, Phoenix Fabricators, and a few others that slip my mind at the moment. Each tank contractor typically has a range of sizes and styles that they compete for. For example, CB&I takes pride in the fact that they basically developed the modern 'pedisphere' style tank we see everywhere, whereas Landmark perfected and is known for their composite tank.

So...now you know.

And knowing is half the battle!

Old 02-11-2010, 12:08 PM

Landmark built the composite EST in front of Cabela's in Buda and they are currently finishing up the new EST in east Austin. See it at this link: Landmark Structures - Builders of Composite Elevated Water Storage Towers (http://www.teamlandmark.com/water_storage/ws_special_interest - broken link)

CB&I link: CB&I : Waterspheroids®

Phoenix link: Phoenix Fabricators & Erectors : Image Gallery

Caldwell link: Caldwell Tanks - Tank Styles (http://www.caldwelltanks.com/tanks/tank_styles.htm - broken link)

Old 02-11-2010, 12:34 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,102,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J1ndo View Post
You didn't really laugh out loud at your monitor, did you? That'd be the first time I ever made anyone laugh about something as pedestrian as a hill top water tank.
Actually, I let out a chuckle. I had a vision of the town (big enough to be a city) in NJ where I grew up, kicking out a bunch of stores on the main avenue just to put water tanks (the main avenue was the "ridge" of a small hill). The closest water tank I saw was down the shore in Jersey.

As a kid, I thought those water tanks out in the country were for putting out fires. I knew our water came from a reservoir upstate where it was pumped - it was across from a farm stand where my grandmother used to take us to pick out our halloween pumpkins.

So yeah, it was a chuckle comparing your lack of understanding of cities with my remembered naivete at country water tanks.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:15 PM

334 posts, read 915,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
So yeah, it was a chuckle comparing your lack of understanding of cities with my remembered naivete at country water tanks.
Well, heck, I want to laugh at my lack of understanding too! Enlighten me as to my lack of understanding of cities when it comes to water pressure.

Remember, you're the one imagining that, because I said hilltops are often used as water towers, that I meant every single hill in a town will be used for that purpose. I want to take credit for making you laugh, but you thought that silly image up yourself.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:21 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,728,481 times
The reason we have water tanks in Texas is because we don't have enough hills.

Where I grew up in Oregon there was no need to build water tanks because there are plenty of hills surrounding every town and it is simpler to build large reservoirs on the hills. The city of Portland, for example, has water reservoirs stashed all over the place on the tops of hills. I lived near a big reservoir on top of Mt. Tabor in SE Portland.

Here in Texas, hills are much more rare, and where they do exist, they are so desired that people snatch them up for the view property. All the nice hilltops in west Austin are prime real estate. Although I think there is a city reservoir on top of Mt. Bonnell.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Here in Texas, hills are much more rare, and where they do exist, they are so desired that people snatch them up for the view property. All the nice hilltops in west Austin are prime real estate. Although I think there is a city reservoir on top of Mt. Bonnell.
The ginormous water storage tank at Mopac and Shoreline Drive in north Austin is essentially at the top of a large hill. When conditions allow (economic and otherwise), higher elevations are the obvious place to store water, just like low elevations are the obvious place to put a wastewater treatment plant.

And for the large majority of small to medium sized municipalities and water suppliers, EST's and other storage tanks are an integral component of their water distribution system.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:07 AM

163 posts, read 318,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesonofgray View Post
We already do, to the extent budgets allow.

If you don't like the results, then offer up your own suggestions.
there are several "out of the box" ideas that government agencies are notorious for avoiding. one idea off the top of my head would be to allow local artists to paint the towers for non-profit.

this of course would be based on the artists interest in heights. to avoid legal recourse, the painter would be required to sign a safety waiver, in case they fell and became injured...or dead. i'm quite sure you'd find a capable illustrator or painter in austin who would be willing to work for free, if their art was on a flippin water tower. if the tower was painted for free, the only remaining cost would be that of a crane rental, operators fee, abd paint/materials. i'm sure even those particular costs could be avoided by the city, if thought out creatively.

you could also allow graphic designers to create designs that could be printed on an appropriate material to attach to the tower without damage. however, you would be more limited to the tower shape, than you would with a freehand painter. both of these methods could also be used to simply allow the tower to blend in with the background. i.e. clouds, blue sky, trees, etc.

another idea would be to attach items to the tower to give it a different look. steampunk comes to mind as an interesting approach.

i'm sure there are many further ideas, if given even an ounce of thought to aesthetics. however an "ounce of thought" is one ounce less than nearly any local or county government is capable of providing in this regard.

here are some decent ideas:

http://photopostsblog.com/wp-content...r-towers12.jpg

http://photopostsblog.com/wp-content...r-towers14.jpg

http://photopostsblog.com/wp-content...r-towers28.jpg

Last edited by absolutely; 02-12-2010 at 01:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin