Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 01:09 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,290,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Not true, they were assaulted in the City Hall parking garage 3 blocks away from the gay bar.
And you know for a fact that they weren't followed from the gay bar to the garage? You don't have a problem assuming anything and everything else about this attack.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:14 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
People lie all the time. Take that husband and wife a while back who claimed their son was inside of a ballon that floated away. I didn't believe that when I first heard it either. And I was right. So yes, I don't believe everything I hear in the news.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
And you know for a fact that they weren't followed from the gay bar to the garage? You don't have a problem assuming anything and everything else about this attack.
Yes, I don't think that is believable either. That four black men hung out near Oilcan Harry's waiting for victims to appear and then followed them 3 blocks down dark deserted streets and waited until they went into a government building to attack two complete strangers. Yep, hardly believable. There are way to many questionable claims asserted in this story.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:39 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Quote:
Yes, I don't think that is believable either. That four black men hung out near Oilcan Harry's waiting for victims to appear and then followed them 3 blocks down dark deserted streets and waited until they went into a government building to attack two complete strangers. Yep, hardly believable. There are way to many questionable claims asserted in this story.
That's a lot more believable than your assertion that inside a deserted parking garage, with only 2 groups of guys -- 2 gay men in pink softball uniforms and a group of 4 young black guys -- that somehow the four young straight guys wouldn't notice that the other two were gay?

If anything, I'd say a group of young guys like that would probably be MORE perceptive of these sort of things... any potential flaw or thing to tease about the other guys... more so than a typical adult.

Anyway, the police chief and city leaders seem to believe their story. And if it turns out not to be true, they'd have done so much more damage to their own cause. So I don't see the reason to be so suspicious of the victims right off the bat.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Yes I would be making the same statements regardless of gender or race. They claim they were suddenly attacked without any warning or provocation by complete strangers.
Well, I guess we just have to take your word on that, don't we? We have to trust that you are not holding their lifestyle choice against them, in the back of your mind? I mean, that never happens, right?

Quote:
It is very rare that ever happens unless robbery or rape are the motivators.
What about all the "hit someone in the face and run" assaults on 6th street? No robbery or rape involved in that. Just violence by young, drunk, angry people. Possibly gang initiation as well. And that could be the case here, too.

Quote:
There are usually words and insults exchanged before a physical attack takes place. I think there is more to the story then they have let on.
So what? If the 4 young straight guys started taunting those two gay guys, and they responded back with words or cursing, that doesn't justify the assault. Nor does it make it something other than a hate crime.

We don't know exactly what happened, but if it were purely a "fight" with nothing more involved, why wouldn't the four guys come forward and say so?

Old 02-28-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Well, I guess we just have to take your word on that, don't we? We have to trust that you are not holding their lifestyle choice against them, in the back of your mind? I mean, that never happens, right?
So just because they are gay I should believe anything they say? Gay's never lie or exaggerate or dramatize?

Quote:
What about all the "hit someone in the face and run" assaults on 6th street? No robbery or rape involved in that. Just violence by young, drunk, angry people. Possibly gang initiation as well. And that could be the case here, too.
And those aren't classified as hate crimes are they?

Quote:
So what? If the 4 young straight guys started taunting those two gay guys, and they responded back with words or cursing, that doesn't justify the assault. Nor does it make it something other than a hate crime.
I didn't say it was justified, but that makes it a pretty normal everyday assault, not a hate crime.

Quote:
We don't know exactly what happened, but if it were purely a "fight" with nothing more involved, why wouldn't the four guys come forward and say so?
Its still a crime. Why would they want to come forward and face criminal charges and false accusations?

Old 02-28-2010, 02:10 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,268,510 times
Note to all gay people. AVOID AUSTIN unless you would like to be the butt of numerous hate crimes by hillbillies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore07 View Post

Old 02-28-2010, 02:16 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,290,293 times
Quote:
So just because they are gay I should believe anything they say? Gay's never lie or exaggerate or dramatize?
Keep digging

Old 02-28-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
That's a lot more believable than your assertion that inside a deserted parking garage, with only 2 groups of guys -- 2 gay men in pink softball uniforms and a group of 4 young black guys -- that somehow the four young straight guys wouldn't notice that the other two were gay?
It is not believable to me. Oh, so now we are supposed to be able to tell if someone is gay just by looking at them? It's not like they were dressed in drag. If I saw them on the street I would not have immediately assumed they were gay, they looked pretty normal to me.

Quote:
Anyway, the police chief and city leaders seem to believe their story. And if it turns out not to be true, they'd have done so much more damage to their own cause. So I don't see the reason to be so suspicious of the victims right off the bat.
I'm not so sure, I noticed the police officer using the word alleged, they have to investigate regardless of what they believe. The Mayor is just practicing good politics.

I wasn't suspicious of them right off the bat. I grew suspicious after listening to their story. To much of it isn't believable to me.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
So now all gays are lying, exagerrating drama queens? (yet you couldn't tell that they were gay, if it was just you and them in a parking garage)

See, the hyperbole game is easy. I never said you had to believe their story, but I do find it strange you dismiss it so easily. Your immediate assumption that their story is probably made-up, along with your subsequent choice of ways to justify that position... that's what I find a bit off-putting.

Quote:
I didn't say it was justified, but that makes it a pretty normal everyday assault, not a hate crime.
You said unprovoked acts of violence without a rape or robbery motive are rare. I simply pointed out that there are several recent examples of exactly that, in same general area no less. We will wait and see if it is a hate crime or not; but assaults without provocation or a rape or robbery motivation do happen here, and to ignore that possibility is irresponsible.

Quote:
I'm not so sure, I noticed the police officer using the word alleged, they have to investigate regardless of what they believe. The Mayor is just practicing good politics.
Which article has the police officer using the word alleged? Do you have a link? Were they talking about the suspects, in which case they must always use that word? Or did they actually say "alleged assault"?

Quote:
I wasn't suspicious of them right off the bat. I grew suspicious after listening to their story. To much of it isn't believable to me.
You were the very first person reply to this topic, and this was your statement at the time:

Quote:
Note it is described as a "reported attack". From the comments it is apparent that I'm not the only person wondering if it actually happened.
How is that not being suspicious right off the bat? You were obviously suspicious enough to immediately question their story, on a large public discussion forum no less. If you grew suspicious over time, seems like you maybe should have waited a bit to pull that trigger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: