Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2007, 07:40 AM

701 posts, read 2,482,169 times

Advertisements

We are still trying to do more research before we actually get to Austin. My hubby will be working from home but we were wondering where most of the tech companies are located should he need to find work. Is it mostly north in RR area?

The reason I ask is we are trying to figure out what would be best for us, Circle C area vs. Steiner Ranch.

Circle C enjoys a closer proximity to downtown, it seems and the schools seem to be ok. We did like driving around there when we visited and the model homes seemed nice.

It seems though that Steiner has a lot more amenities (my boys love the water) and is closer to tech companies if my impression is right that they are north. There seem to be a lot more amenities there but you end up paying more as far in HOA fees (two HOAs, right?). Also I don't remember there being as much (or as close) in terms of shopping.

Also, there seem to be many relatively affordable homes in Cedar Park. I think they share the same ISD as Steiner. But what is it like there? I'm assuming they have the usual nice, friendly neighborhoods but is it pretty hill country like in Circle C and Steiner? We spent our time at a motel in Round Rock and we found ourselves driving away from there a lot...just was so flat and not as nice as Circle C or Steiner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 07:48 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,650,393 times
I just rented and moved to leander this past week and have been driving around looking for a house to buy and where I want to be at. Cedar Park is Hill country, Leander seems to be getting on the low sloping mounds type of ground. Hubby works at IBM at 183/mopac area and we have friends that work there that live all over the northside I don't know of a one that lives south of the river.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:14 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,627,381 times
Most of the tech companies seem to be on the N an NW side of Austin, but there are some all over. Freescale is East and Southwest (with a place on Parmer, too). Tokyo Electron is southeast. Small companies are all over, but there was a boom in the NW area some years ago. 78759 used to be the most densely 'hi-tech' area by company COUNT (not employee) some years ago, not sure if that is still true.

Anyway, if you don't know where you are going to work, NW is the best roll of the dice, but you could still miss .

Old 06-05-2007, 08:33 AM

Well...we don't really need to be near any particular employers. Once we move, hubby will be telecommuting. However, if he should need to find work we'd want a decent commute for him. He does work for a software company presently and his commute is currently 40 mins. give or take.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:02 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,124,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phisch View Post
We are still trying to do more research before we actually get to Austin. My hubby will be working from home but we were wondering where most of the tech companies are located should he need to find work. Is it mostly north in RR area?

[cut]

Also, there seem to be many relatively affordable homes in Cedar Park. I think they share the same ISD as Steiner. But what is it like there? I'm assuming they have the usual nice, friendly neighborhoods but is it pretty hill country like in Circle C and Steiner? We spent our time at a motel in Round Rock and we found ourselves driving away from there a lot...just was so flat and not as nice as Circle C or Steiner.
Most of the companies are N/NW and downtown.

The west side of cedar park is very nice hill country. You can still get 10 acre lots for under 100K out there (but not in a master planned community). Crystal Falls may be a master planned community in the area. I have golfed there but cant remember if the community is also called crystal falls.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:37 AM

10 acre lots? Are you serious? Wow.

Why are the prices relatively low? Is it because there's not much of a master planned community?

I guess a good question to ask would be: are the homes in master planned communities more expensive because of the built-in amenities or is it because it's just a more desirable zip code?

Freaking out a little here...we will be there soon and have no home yet! Hehe.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:41 PM

206 posts, read 1,310,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phisch View Post
10 acre lots? Are you serious? Wow.

Why are the prices relatively low? Is it because there's not much of a master planned community?

I guess a good question to ask would be: are the homes in master planned communities more expensive because of the built-in amenities or is it because it's just a more desirable zip code?

Freaking out a little here...we will be there soon and have no home yet! Hehe.
"100K-10 acre" would be too far out and will be a little inconvenient for a day commuting Tech worker in Austin.
Mainly the Zip codes get expensive in Austin based on the schools. So, if you have kids, then you need to think about "good schools".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin