Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2010, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,769 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am moving to Austin in August with my soon to be fiancee. She will be attending UT for her masters and I will be working in one of two situations. Looking for suggestions on where to live based on the two scenarios.

I am pretty open on rent prices though would prefer an apartment or townhouse/condo. We'll be there at least 2-3 years and depending on the stay, may purchase a home within that time period. If I must give a figure, We're looking for something with a garage and preferably 2 bedrooms (though one is workable) with a max monthly apartment rent of $1500 though lower is better since we're saving for a down. She won't be working more than 20 hours a week while attending UT (I'll foregoe considering her salary for now) - So salary in the mid 70's.

Once she is done, probably in the low 100's combined so looking for home suggestions here too (good schools a plus for future family) that won't break the bank.

Scenario A: My existing employer allows me to telecommute. Prefer nearest proximity to UT or downtown with easy access to UT via shuttle (If metro actually helps here, by all means suggest but I heard the metro wasn't great)?

Scenario B: I work in the riata area for a large tech company. I'll need to drive to work of course so what's the best compromise for a living situation, given her need to be near UT. Is there any "ideal" location to look so I won't go batty over the commute? I am from socal so used to traffic but the last few years have been blessed with a 20 minute commute.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

ps: Is it normal for every listing to be from a real estate agent? You kind of find your own apartments in CA but in Austin it seems like EVERY listing is actually a third party (So if you have any suggestion on someone I should deal with, suggest away)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 06:20 PM

629 posts, read 1,653,777 times
Garage will be hard, since I don't know of any central apartments that have garages. If that is a must, you'll have to live around the Arboretum area, which will be a super easy commute for you but not for your fiancee.

Boy would I love to telecommute.

Edit: By garage, I mean individual 1 or 2 car garage, which is what I assume you want. There are plenty of "mid-rises" in the central parts of town that have parking garages.

Last edited by thesonofgray; 04-28-2010 at 06:35 PM..

Old 06-25-2010, 12:50 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
If you're looking for a house, duplex, or condo for lease, most of them will be listed with agents and on the MLS. You can check out Austin Home Search (http://www.austinhomesearch.com/Static/homeset.aspx - broken link)and search for them there.

If you're looking for apartments, you'll likely want to use an apartment locator service.

Given your scenario, you might want to split the commute and live somewhere like Northwest Hills (lots of grad students there, and it would be between your two necessities if you work in the Riata area). As for garage, do you mean an enclosed garage for just your apartment or do you mean covered parking? The latter will be relatively easy to find with an apartment, the former, not so much. You'd be more likely to find that with a condo than with an apartment.

Try searching by zip code 78759 and 78731.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:39 PM

122 posts, read 360,405 times
we live in mosaic at mueller, paying less1350 for a 2 bedroom place north of campus, but also certainly easy to get north, since you are going opposite of the traffic. It's only one exit from campus (the AIrport road exit), but my husband works off mopac and it's really easy to get htere too- since everyone is coming the opposite way.

It's super nice too.... Mosaic at Mueller Austin Apartments | Apartments in Austin Texas

DEFINITELY try to get a view away from the pool though- we look onto th park and it's super quite and much prettier.

mosaic at mueller is the name.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:51 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
The UT shuttle busses are good, there is one that runs from the area near Far West Blvd. West of Mopac where there are quite a few apartments, good access to grocery stores and recreation and would give you an easy commute to the Riata area.

System-Wide Shuttle Route Map | Parking & Transportation Services (PTS) | The University of Texas at Austin (http://www.utexas.edu/parking/transportation/shuttle/austin-bus.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin