Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 08:44 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,000,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
that was my point

Oh, I'm a bit slow in the head. Forgive me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 08:59 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,012 times
I say we finally put it to the test and get it out of the way. I'm starting a poll on whether this town actually wants a pro sports team at all. Anyone care to wager the percentage that will be against it? I'm guessing 85%.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:04 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
I am truly ambivalent about pro sports in Austin. I am 100% against taxpayer funding of pro sports facilities.

I don't think economically it would be easy to be successful since SA, DFW, and Houston are not far away.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:06 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
What is the going rate for a professional sports arena these days - 300MM? How would you convince Austin taxpayers to pass a bond for that? Maybe in conjuction with adding hotel and rental car taxes? ACL, SXSW, and the countless other annual festivals would be hurt by it... Besides, we barely agreed to build the WTP4, and that was a necessity.

I think Austin is trying to be the anti-city, and appeal to the niche market of those looking for something different that isn't Dallas or Houston. A pro sports team would ruin that; it just isn't in Austin's blood.
I think this is pretty perceptive. Austin has NEVER been interested in being just another wannabe Dallas/Houston/Wherever - Austin has always been interested in being Austin, and in being different from all of those other places that need such things. It's a place for "the rest of us", and shouldn't be destroyed.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:32 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I think this is pretty perceptive. Austin has NEVER been interested in being just another wannabe Dallas/Houston/Wherever - Austin has always been interested in being Austin, and in being different from all of those other places that need such things. It's a place for "the rest of us", and shouldn't be destroyed.
Yeah I can see this too, that we have other things going for us and don't need such a thing. That and the expectation that teams will be subsidized by taxpayers will kill it here.

Also it seems that people, especially the sports lovers, live vicariously through the teams they support, a kind of fantasy escapism for the desperate. Sort a "well my jobs sucks, my neighborhood sucks, there's noting to do around here, and the homelife is awful but at least the Austin _______ers are having a great year." It's a bit pathetic when the perceived best thing about your town is the for-profit pro team manned by players who really have little to do with the local community b/c they could be traded at any minute and b/c they live in the exclusive areas of town.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:01 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,292,634 times
It will never happen. Did you know that Austin is the largest city in the nation with no major pro-sports teams (no NFL, no NBA, no MLB, etc.)? With UT here none of those sports would ever have a chance.

I think the only one we might have a shot as is an NHL team.... that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Also it seems that people, especially the sports lovers, live vicariously through the teams they support, a kind of fantasy escapism for the desperate. Sort a "well my jobs sucks, my neighborhood sucks, there's noting to do around here, and the homelife is awful but at least the Austin _______ers are having a great year." It's a bit pathetic when the perceived best thing about your town is the for-profit pro team manned by players who really have little to do with the local community b/c they could be traded at any minute and b/c they live in the exclusive areas of town.
I completely agree. Cities like Cleveland and Detroit NEED pro sports teams, but we really don't here. Plus, the "super fans" you speak of that we do have in Austin would disregard anything that doesn't have burnt orange on it anyway.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:07 PM

362 posts, read 1,044,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
It will never happen. Did you know that Austin is the largest city in the nation with no major pro-sports teams (no NFL, no NBA, no MLB, etc.)? With UT here none of those sports would ever have a chance.

I think the only one we might have a shot as is an NHL team.... that's it.

I completely agree. Cities like Cleveland and Detroit NEED pro sports teams, but we really don't here. Plus, the "super fans" you speak of that we do have in Austin would disregard anything that doesn't have burnt orange on it anyway.
And those people of Boston and NY, also a desperate cry of vicarious bliss? Imagine the disappointment this city will experience when UT football falls from its ranks as a BCS competitor, it will happen eventually!

Old 04-29-2010, 01:18 PM

426 posts, read 1,673,828 times
This question comes up almost yearly and the answers are the same every time. NBA would be the furthest reach of the 4 major sports simply because the closest major league team to here is an NBA team. The Spurs market is relatively weak to begin with - why would the NBA dilute it anymore.

Whomever said the NHL was the most likely of the 4 would be dead on... it's not going to happen, but it would be the most likely of the 4 (if you ignore the NHL's internal desire to contract and never take another shot at southern expansion again).

My answer to this question very simply is Austin can't support what they have (outside of the obvious, UT football)... so what makes anyone think they'd support a major league team at major league prices. If you want to see the major league stuff, travel the 60-180 miles to see what you want... otherwise, support your Aztex, Stars, Express, Toros... even Turfcats... there are TONS of seats available at all of these games.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:18 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Honestly, I would want it to have one, but it's probably not ever going to happen. UT has a lot of influence to the city, and because of that I can't really see professional sports teams being successful in Austin. Especially the NFL.

UT is a gift and a curse, depends on how you look at it.

We have the Toros their owned by the Spurs

Old 04-29-2010, 01:21 PM

372 posts, read 1,149,164 times
Austin has pro sports teams they are just minor league teams: Round Rock Express, Austin Toros, Texas Stars. I actually kind of like this model. It's fun to see the up and coming stars of their respective sports, and it does not overshadow UT sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin