Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 08:44 AM

206 posts, read 483,988 times

Advertisements

Looks like it was a cluster - who could have guessed it.

See comments to this report:
Rail service draws criticism, crowds | KXAN.com

Interesting things to note:
- people South of Leander were taking the northbound train to make sure they could get downtown, since southbound trains were too full.
- people paid for a day pass but couldn't use it b/c the train was too crowded, time and time again
- people seem to be complaining about too few trains (or infrequency of pickup)
- some people got downtown by train, but ended up taking buses home

Logic tells me they should have charged more than a $6 for a day pass to discourage some of the use, but they surely will take this to show why they need to spend another few million for add'l trains.

Anyone have any stats on weekday use so far? Saturday probably was a bigger day than their average week is and it still wouldn't allow them to make any money. I don't want to subsidize this forever, so I'd like to see it run for a profit or break-even.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 11:16 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,529,683 times
Until Capital Metro gets their act together (which is 99% likely to never happen), I will never use any of their transportation services. Every other city I've been to that has public transportation services has more competent people running those services. Why is Austin's transportation authority so bad?

Old 05-02-2010, 11:20 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,893,911 times
I guess the lesson for now is they should NEVER, EVER run it on a Saturday with a Longhorn game. Or anything else important going on downtown. There would be riots.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:34 AM

426 posts, read 1,674,795 times
I'm with calien in hoping they use this as a piece of evidence for increased service and ideally, expanding the system to more lines. While it sucks for the people who did try to use it, I personally am glad to see the high demand for the service. I'm very hopeful for greater service and expansion and any step in that direction is a right one... albeit I realize it's going to be a slow, painful process (and yeah, more than likely mismanaged also, but that's how we roll in Texas).

Old 05-02-2010, 11:43 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,116,334 times
An efficient service would require dedicated track (no sharing with freight) and dual lines plus many more cars. The costs quickly become astronomical! It would reach a billion dollars without much effort (particularly expanding the right away for dual track).

Old 05-02-2010, 12:00 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,102,856 times
It is an encouraging sign to me that there is actually enough demand to have overloaded the system. Apparently the Pecan Street Festival was the attraction. It seems like Capital Metro should be able to monitor ticket sales and cut off sales when it is likely the system will be overloaded. I can't help but wonder why they sold so many more day passes then they could handle.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:19 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,005,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I can't help but wonder why they sold so many more day passes then they could handle.

I'd be willing to bet you know why.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:53 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,872,226 times
This Cap MetroRail keeps getting better and better ,....grabs some popcorn and waits for the next problem

Old 05-03-2010, 09:28 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,270,040 times
As a former employee in the "transportation" industry, I can tell you that Capital Metro has always been a flawed business. Almost from day 1, they have had horrible management issues, money issues, and planning issues. Capital Metro has lost money all but 2 years of it's existance.

I can remember working an internship with Sacramento Regional Transit back in 1996 and hearing about the "Train wreck" that was Capital Metro in Austin, TX. Oddly enough, back then I know two things about Austin. 1) it was the capital of Texas 2) It had a really messed up transit system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
Until Capital Metro gets their act together (which is 99% likely to never happen), I will never use any of their transportation services. Every other city I've been to that has public transportation services has more competent people running those services. Why is Austin's transportation authority so bad?

Old 05-03-2010, 10:16 AM

246 posts, read 858,368 times
I would hope the people criticizing because there were too many riders aren't the same people who criticized earlier because they didn't think the train ran where people would want to ride it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin