Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 11:03 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,875 times

Advertisements

News regarding the future of suburban development in SW Austin:

Travis County pulls support for Texas 45 Southwest

The funding for the SW SH45 (toll)way is off the table until 2015 at the earliest - when CAMPO meets to approve their CAMPO 2040 plan. I have my opinions on the matter, but would like to here what others think of this....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 11:07 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,268,510 times
That shouldn't have really come as a surprise to anyone. I find it rather insteresting that many of the people in Buda and South Austin are complaining because their commute is so bad. I guess I don't understand why you would move there in the first place if you KNEW the road system was horrible. I have been in Austin for 7 years and lived in 4 different locations. EVERYTIME I made sure where i moved there was a decent freeway or tollway that would insure that I rarely if ever sat in traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
News regarding the future of suburban development in SW Austin:

Travis County pulls support for Texas 45 Southwest

The funding for the SW SH45 (toll)way is off the table until 2015 at the earliest - when CAMPO meets to approve their CAMPO 2040 plan. I have my opinions on the matter, but would like to here what others think of this....

Old 05-12-2010, 11:17 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Officials have been promising to build that road for years, they even partially funded it to get design and preliminary work started. Some people moved to that area based on the promises the road would be built.

Also when the opened up through traffic to South Brodie Lane that neighborhood, Shady Hollow, was promised that SH45 would be built so that excess traffic would not be funneling through that neighborhood.

This is a real betrayal of those promises. This does not personally effect me, but if I lived in Shady Hollow I'd be P.O'd. I've seen how much worse the traffic is on Brodie since they did that.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:19 AM

409 posts, read 873,891 times
I think a better use of money is to build a direct connection from 290W to Mopac north and south

Old 05-12-2010, 11:58 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonegg View Post
I think a better use of money is to build a direct connection from 290W to Mopac north and south
That is what the long term plan is for SH45 SW.

I don't have a problem with them deciding to postpone funding SH 45. I agree that improving the Y intersection is probably more important right now.

But this motion they approved completely removes SH45 SW from the Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization 's 2035 plan and transportation improvement plan. Which means it won't even be considered in the future.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:32 PM

I think it will obviously stunt development in some parts of SW Austin and overall it will be a good thing as it will stop the spread of our urban boundaries, but there will be winners and losers.

The losers will be those areas that don't have immediate access to a highway and must use a clogged Brodie lane (and an eventually clogged Manchacha Rd): Shady Hollow, Hays, far west Buda and Manchacha. The winners of this will be Circle C as now they can continue to let traffic percolate through Shady Hollow as not to overload their beloved Mopac. I think people will think twice about building a house in SW Austin, but many will continue to do so anyways, which a bit disconcerting. Things could get really bad over the next decade.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
But this motion they approved completely removes SH45 SW from the Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization 's 2035 plan and transportation improvement plan. Which means it won't even be considered in the future.

I think Shady Hollow might have to buck up and take the ROW on either side to expand Brodie between 1626 and Slaughter. It's the nuclear option for them, but might need to be done, or the neighborhood will be strangled to death.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:06 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,965 times
Quote:
I think it will obviously stunt development in some parts of SW Austin and overall it will be a good thing as it will stop the spread of our urban boundaries, but there will be winners and losers.
History has shown that the "don't build it and they won't come" mentality hasn't prevented growth from happening anywhere in Austin. This idea in the 80s has led to the current hodgepodge undersized highway network. 1 million people later, you'd think elected officials would understand this.

Quote:
The winners of this will be Circle C as now they can continue to let traffic percolate through Shady Hollow as not to overload their beloved Mopac.
Probably 90% of the Brodie traffic gets on Mopac at either Slaughter or Deer Ln. I don't know how the traffic on Mopac would be any different for Circle C other than on the south end below Slaughter.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:15 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
About a year ago we under contract to purchase a house in Shady Hollow but after the inspection the owner wouldn't make any concessions for repairs. We didn't go through with the purchase as a result. After reading this I am especially relieved we didn't go through with buying that house.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:20 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
History has shown that the "don't build it and they won't come" mentality hasn't prevented growth from happening anywhere in Austin. This idea in the 80s has led to the current hodgepodge undersized highway network. 1 million people later, you'd think elected officials would understand this.

Probably 90% of the Brodie traffic gets on Mopac at either Slaughter or Deer Ln. I don't know how the traffic on Mopac would be any different for Circle C other than on the south end below Slaughter.
Most of Circle C IS below Slaughter. There's just CC North, Vintage Place, and Park Place which are all really tiny little neighborhoods. If you look at a map it seems like 80 percent or greater of the neighborhood is south of that. It's not just the traffic that people sit in because for most people that's only a three mile stretch at most (if the exit on Escarpment onto 45 and then north on Mopac). I imagine it is the noise too. Less Mopac traffic means less noise for the main part of Circle C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin