Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 09:56 AM

653 posts, read 1,795,924 times

Advertisements

According to an email, I just got from the person who is in charge of the MUD (Deed) Restrictions

"Shingles must be of a composite nature. No tile, tin or other such material is likely to be approved."

So the concept of "green" building is not nearly as important as appearance?

Is most of Austin like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 10:21 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,210,881 times
I did not think the Municipal Utility District was involved in those issues. The MUD is a legal entity empowered to provide water, sewage, drainage and other similar functions within its boundaries.

Perhaps this note comes from the HOA instead?

But I think the general answer is - No it is not like that all over Austin. In some areas a composition roof is prohibited.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:48 AM

It is the MUD that enforces "Deed Restrictions".

I once thought this was an HOA activity, hence I asked my Realtor the wrong questions, when I asked about HOA restrictions. (I still think he may have known what I meant, because I was pretty certain the conversation mentioned my not wanting someone else to dictate such things as color of my home. But on this, I am giving the benefit of the doubt. I did not ask the right question and do not remember the exact conversation.)
It was only later, talking to neighbors, I discovered that the MUD enforced something called "Deed Restrictions".

I can not just choose a different neighborhood. I do not drive, so I either need to be able to walk to work, or it has to be a reasonable bus trip (short with no transfers). Otherwise the advantages of owning a home decrease, and living in an apartment close to work becomes a better option for me.

OR
I make an offer on the house, contingent on getting a roof I am comfortable buying, approved by the committee.
The problem is that this route could end up costing me a lot in inspection costs, and I could lose.

I kind of feel bad, not buying a house, after all the work the Realtor has done. (He did work really hard.)
But I do not want to spend money on a roof, that is not as environmentally responsible as I consider reasonable, based on what is now available.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:52 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,210,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenkeeney View Post
It is the MUD that enforces "Deed Restrictions".

I once thought this was an HOA activity, hence I asked my Realtor the wrong questions, when I asked about HOA restrictions. (I still think he may have known what I meant, because I was pretty certain the conversation mentioned my not wanting someone else to dictate such things as color of my home. But on this, I am giving the benefit of the doubt. I did not ask the right question and do not remember the exact conversation.)
It was only later, talking to neighbors, I discovered that the MUD enforced something called "Deed Restrictions".

I can not just choose a different neighborhood. I do not drive, so I either need to be able to walk to work, or it has to be a reasonable bus trip (short with no transfers). Otherwise the advantages of owning a home decrease, and living in an apartment close to work becomes a better option for me.

OR
I make an offer on the house, contingent on getting a roof I am comfortable buying, approved by the committee.
The problem is that this route could end up costing me a lot in inspection costs, and I could lose.

I kind of feel bad, not buying a house, after all the work the Realtor has done. (He did work really hard.)
But I do not want to spend money on a roof, that is not as environmentally responsible as I consider reasonable, based on what is now available.
I understand your desire to be "green." But does the roof need to be replaced? Or is it in good condition but you just want to replace it?

Old 05-18-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I understand your desire to be "green." But does the roof need to be replaced? Or is it in good condition but you just want to replace it?
The particular house, I am now considering, is in need of a new roof.
It is leaking.

However, the reason I am considering that specific house, is because I want something I can turn into an energy efficient home, and would not want to replace a roof that does not need replacing.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:41 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,897,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenkeeney View Post
The particular house, I am now considering, is in need of a new roof.
It is leaking.

However, the reason I am considering that specific house, is because I want something I can turn into an energy efficient home, and would not want to replace a roof that does not need replacing.
Did you specifically ask an Architectural Committee member about a metal roof? Because the deed restrictions are often very old, they can't easily be updated, and often variances are granted to address this. If there are indeed other metal roofs in the neighborhood, they wouldn't have much to back a refusal.

Of course, if you want to use a "green" composite shingle, you can always get something like : http://www.gaf.com/Roofing/Residenti...s-Shingles.asp

Old 05-18-2010, 01:44 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,066,989 times
Time to lobby your state legislator about introducing a bill that makes it illegal for deed restrictions to exclude green building practices.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:11 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,113,557 times
If you really want a metal roof, then...

First, I would verify that there actually is a "Deed Restriction" that says this. I can imagine if it is an old subdivision they may have prohibited corrugated or flat sheet metal "tin" roofs (galvanized steel) back then, like you sometimes see on sheds and farm buildings, as it rusts and discolors pretty quickly. But modern metal roofs are a far cry from "tin" roofs. Few real architects would object to them.

Second, these so called "architectural" committees don't always have complete authority to ban anything they don't like. Their authority is usually limited to upholding the official deed restrictions on the property. So I would verify what actual authority they have.

However, You wrote:

Quote:
As Atxcio pointed out above, there are very green energy efficient shingles available, they could not only give you an energy efficient roof, but it could entitle you to a tax credit:

Quote:
Tax Credit…
Get up to $1,500 (30% of material cost) back from the government in the form of tax credit on colors that are Energy Star® qualified*

Old 05-18-2010, 04:10 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,583,836 times
Solar panels and metal roofs are some of the issues that homeowners seem to have in HOA or, in this case MUD controlled subdivisions.

At one time satellite dishes were considered the eyesore but that issue got overruled at the Fed level and no one can be denied their satellite TV anymore.

Time to send those emails to your rep for a change..hopefully at the Fed level so that people all over America who want to go green via solar, wind and metal roofs are not prohibited from doing so.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:16 PM

3,085 posts, read 3,272,714 times
Another thing to consider is that if the restriction is purely an aesthetic one, that you can purchase metal roofs that look like shingles (as well as tile or shakes) vs the "standard" flat sheets. This will cost you more but it might be a way to get around the restriction but still get you the benefits of going metal. You can also check out companies that make shingles that have reflective materials embedded in them.

If that doesn't work and you still want to "go green", perhaps you can take the money you save by going with shingles and apply it to other green features (e.g. better attic insulation, radiant barriers, well placed trees, rain water collection, etc, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin