Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 11:11 PM

13 posts, read 39,333 times

Advertisements

Okay Thanks,

So the upshot is that an Asian American (especially a Eurasian) is unlikely to experience the prejudice in Australia that typical Asian immigrants from China experience, since I will be viewed more as an American.

In terms of the business culture of Australia, I will state some specific things that I was wondering:

A. How important is it to have gone to an Ivy League school or its Australian equivalent to get ahead in business? It seems that here in New York City as well as a few other places, there is a system within the business world almost as rigid as Apartheid or caste system, where you certain doors are glued shut if you didn't go to an Ivy school no matter how bright and talented you are. There is little tolerance here in New York for late bloomers. If you didn't get into the right school at age 18 and don't have your own condo at 30, you are viewed as dead.

2. How is the workplace culture different from the workplace culture of the USA?

3. Are there any advantages to starting a business in Australia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 10:20 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidmacintosh View Post
Okay Thanks,

So the upshot is that an Asian American (especially a Eurasian) is unlikely to experience the prejudice in Australia that typical Asian immigrants from China experience, since I will be viewed more as an American.

In terms of the business culture of Australia, I will state some specific things that I was wondering:

A. How important is it to have gone to an Ivy League school or its Australian equivalent to get ahead in business? It seems that here in New York City as well as a few other places, there is a system within the business world almost as rigid as Apartheid or caste system, where you certain doors are glued shut if you didn't go to an Ivy school no matter how bright and talented you are. There is little tolerance here in New York for late bloomers. If you didn't get into the right school at age 18 and don't have your own condo at 30, you are viewed as dead.

2. How is the workplace culture different from the workplace culture of the USA?

If you can do the job right, we don't really give a stuff if you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth, or went to some ancient fancy pants college.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:42 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Quote:
Okay Thanks,

I've known around 1000 university students from down under. I could probably count on one hand, maybe, the number of people that gave a damn about what school they go to. Most people in Australia live in a few major cities. University students go to whatever local uni is available, typically. There isn't really dorm life, big frats or sororities, 80000 seat stadiums for college sports, no big alumni organizations and boosters, etc.

The whole american system of "oh you went to so and so, wow", no one could give a rats ass about in Australia. If you strutted around with that attitude you'd get the **** taken.

How is the workplace culture different? Well from my perspective, the down side AND upside is Americans are very business oriented, do deals quickly, get stuff done and take it all and themselves very seriously. The Australian attitude is a bit more, uh, go with the flow.

Starting a business down under I don't think is different than anywhere else. If it is where your interest lies, where you want to live, where you want to work, the people that would buy your product and service and so on, then it is what you do.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:42 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
I'm Ivy and it did not matter in Oz that I went to Columbia.

BTW, I've never experience the "if you don't have a condo by 30 you are dead" attitude among my friends in NY.. maybe you need a new circle of friends? I experienced some semblance of that when I worked with a blud chip law firm, but working for corporations in NY, I did not come across this apartheid.

BTW, where are you getting your information that someone from China will experience prejudice? What news sources are you referring to?

I can tell you that I had no fear or assumption about prejudice in Oz before I got there and had no issues when I lived in Oz. Just have a sense of humor, adapt, have a thick skin (and throw it back when people make fun of you).. and you will be all right, regardless of skin colour or academic qualification.

The work environment in Oz is more laid back than what you will experience in NY, with some exceptions. Macquarie Investment Bank is more aggressive than the typical Australian firm.

Quote:
Okay Thanks,

Last edited by minibrings; 07-26-2010 at 07:52 PM..

Old 07-27-2010, 03:08 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,731,932 times
If you want a business career, Sydney and Melbourne are the financial capitals.
Perth and Brisbane are not that far behind, Adelaide less so.
Generally prejudice is not overly pronounce in Oz, particularly the capital cities.
In a place like Sydney, you would not stand out at all, as it is an international city, with plenty of different races and accents.
Regional centres, tend to more xenophobic, and this applies even to things like homosexuals etc - where these individuals tend to lay low.
In a place like Newcastle and the Hunter Valley, it is very anglo in nature, and few immigrants, and it could be slightly cold as opposed to hostile, particularly in smaller centres. This depends on the neighbourhood you are in.
In face some smaller country towns don't even like anyone that moves to their town as an outsider, totally debunking the theory that country people are friendlier than city people. In some of these places you are in actual fact more of a villain as an "out-of-towner" or an interstater, than you are as an international immigrant.
Generally starting a business is quite difficult in Australia, and often a low income can be expected. (I have owned my own business).
I would stick to a safety first option of a well-paid job, with guarenteed holidays, superannuation etc - which is why I now work in the public service (government job) - and no longer own a business.

Last edited by Derek40; 07-27-2010 at 03:36 PM..

Old 07-27-2010, 06:36 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
If you want a business career, Sydney and Melbourne are the financial capitals.
Perth and Brisbane are not that far behind, Adelaide less so.
Generally prejudice is not overly pronounce in Oz, particularly the capital cities.
In a place like Sydney, you would not stand out at all, as it is an international city, with plenty of different races and accents.
Regional centres, tend to more xenophobic, and this applies even to things like homosexuals etc - where these individuals tend to lay low.
In a place like Newcastle and the Hunter Valley, it is very anglo in nature, and few immigrants, and it could be slightly cold as opposed to hostile, particularly in smaller centres. This depends on the neighbourhood you are in.
In face some smaller country towns don't even like anyone that moves to their town as an outsider, totally debunking the theory that country people are friendlier than city people. In some of these places you are in actual fact more of a villain as an "out-of-towner" or an interstater, than you are as an international immigrant.
Generally starting a business is quite difficult in Australia, and often a low income can be expected. (I have owned my own business).
I would stick to a safety first option of a well-paid job, with guarenteed holidays, superannuation etc - which is why I now work in the public service (government job) - and no longer own a business.
It does depend alot on the specific town, so don't come with any preconceived notions about 'all small towns being like this' or generalisations like the 'city is more tolerant.' In my experience actual racism (as opposed to just treating you as a curiosity because they're not used to seeing 'your type') is as bad or worse in certain parts of the cities (sometimes where there are large immigrant communities). Country towns can be a bit more conservative in their outlook, as you'd expect, but I think a slim minority would see you as a 'villain.' If one or two Africans come to town it's not such a big deal, but if dozens start arriving (like parts of the capital cities) that could breed resentment.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:25 PM

63 posts, read 217,071 times
Quote:
Hello,

I am an American from New York City that is considering moving to several countries. Australia is one of them. I am of mixed Asian and White Heritage and look Eur-Asian or White AND Chinese.

My questions are the following:

1. Will I be seen be Australians as an Asian, an American, or both?

2. For the Australians who are racist aganist nonwhites, are they as racist aganist mixed race people or non-whites from other Western Countries? In other words, would they view an African or Asian American from the US, the same as a Immigrant from Africa or China?

2. What is the Business and Entrepreneurial culture like of Australia? What are the advantages and disadvantages of having a business career in Australia compared to the United States ( in particular New York City)?

I would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks

Firstly, there are no racisms in Australia. Stop worrying about that sort of crap. Having said that let me say this, there will always be a minority of harmless groups of Inbrediotic Bogans that may try to convince you they are racists. EPIC FAIL !!!

However, these are the only things you must learn fast:

Snakes
Spiders
Sharks
Blue bottle box jelly fish
Crocadiles
Poisonous Plants
and Pauline Hanson (No one cares for this Period Head she is a wannabee racist without intelligence) EPIC FAIL.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:32 PM

63 posts, read 217,071 times
I must admit if you are an Arab Muslim you will find yourself alienated from the rest of the world. This of course is self inflicted.

I am a full on Asian without any Asian friends and surrounded by white people. They dont hate me at all or dislike me for being Asian.

As long as you say hello to them and smile at them and talk to them you will be respected. Just to let you in on a secret, most working class Aussies do not really like Americans. They think you are loud mouth and over the top, self centred and obnoxious. So tell them you are a Canadian for your own safety.

Just bring your Asian ass over you will be fine this is not America or 3rd world country. This IS AUSTRALIA.

Last edited by 1Asian; 07-27-2010 at 09:41 PM..

Old 07-28-2010, 03:37 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Asian View Post
Firstly, there are no racisms in Australia. Stop worrying about that sort of crap. Having said that let me say this, there will always be a minority of harmless groups of Inbrediotic Bogans that may try to convince you they are racists. EPIC FAIL !!!

However, these are the only things you must learn fast:

Snakes
Spiders
Sharks
Blue bottle box jelly fish
Crocadiles
Poisonous Plants
and Pauline Hanson (No one cares for this Period Head she is a wannabee racist without intelligence) EPIC FAIL.
period head? really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Asian View Post
I must admit if you are an Arab Muslim you will find yourself alienated from the rest of the world. This of course is self inflicted.

I am a full on Asian without any Asian friends and surrounded by white people. They dont hate me at all or dislike me for being Asian.

As long as you say hello to them and smile at them and talk to them you will be respected. Just to let you in on a secret, most working class Aussies do not really like Americans. They think you are loud mouth and over the top, self centred and obnoxious. So tell them you are a Canadian for your own safety.

Just bring your Asian ass over you will be fine this is not America or 3rd world country. This IS AUSTRALIA.
no, arabs are just fine here too.
we like americans.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:32 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
period head? really?
no, arabs are just fine here too.
we like americans.
Nice response Ozgal. I think its funny some people in Oz think racism is prevalent in the US and quite a few in the US think the same about Oz. Reality is its no worse or better in either country and the real answer is it depends where you are (well stated by Trimac). Oz isn't Nirvana, but then again, neither is the US (unless of course, you're Jacqs who can't wait to escape convictland).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand