Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 01:51 PM

35 posts, read 101,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Still getting aftershocks here.
And then some ay!

Im definately feeling edgy, a sleepless night with a few 5+ aftershocks will do that to you. Its been about 2 hours since I felt one, thats been a nice relief. Small mercy and all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 03:52 PM

134 posts, read 515,055 times
Hanging in there. The people in NZ are so very resilent and strong. Just amazing - going through 7 but still standing proud as a society. In most places there will be chaos and lootings etc. Soon it will be much better and there will so much to tell.
My friend's family are quite stressed out with all the aftershocks but comforting the young ones as a family. It also helps that the basic utility is there and even the internet so at least they can skype their loved ones.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:36 PM

35 posts, read 101,098 times
Oh man. So tired. Even though this has long gone from the worlds news we are still getting aftershocks. Woken twice during the night.

Really want a good nights sleep. My son still refuses to sleep in his own bed, he's camped out under the kitchen table. Its a cool set up he's got under there, poor bastard scared as all hell.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:05 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,234,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Still getting aftershocks here.
The aftershocks are very hard to deal with. Usually they get smaller and further apart and at that point the kids go back to their own beds. Hate to say it, but probably some where down the line (say 9 mos to a year from now) you will probably be hit with another big one that will be called an "aftershock". Big but not as big as your original. So be prepared. Nothing heavy above your heads.

In Calif we'd get hit by (yet another) aftershock and call out "4.7!" "3.9!" as a way to put a little humor into the situation. Or the ever-popular, "Grab your (surf) boards people, we're ridin' another one in!"

Still thinking of all of you. Be well!

Old 09-13-2010, 07:25 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,735,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovski View Post
Oh man. So tired. Even though this has long gone from the worlds news we are still getting aftershocks. Woken twice during the night.

Really want a good nights sleep. My son still refuses to sleep in his own bed, he's camped out under the kitchen table. Its a cool set up he's got under there, poor bastard scared as all hell.
So sorry to hear this markovski. Your poor little guy, being so scared like that. Hopefully as more time goes by, his fears will dissipate.

I went through a quake here in Perth when I was about 7 or 8. I still remember being absolutely terrified once we knew what it was. I was at a friend's house and desperately wanted to go home but I was too afraid to leave the safety of my friend and her family. I also remember being at school after it, and once in a while a student would say they felt an aftershock and the whole school would have to evacuate and stand outside on the playground waiting for the school to fall down (we hoped ). No such luck, and we'd have to go back into class. But I remember being nervous for a while. It's not a small thing. All the best with dealing with it. Give him lots of hugs.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:39 PM

141 posts, read 342,596 times
Hi Guys. Im from Christchurch and have just had a bit of read of this thread. Here's an update...
Most of the buildings that collapsed were of brick construction and in the centre of the city, although some of the oplder suburban buildings also sufferred. The State of Emergency has now been lifted (last Thursday) although some streets remain closed and some buildings are still taped off. Almost all the water is back on but sewage still remains a problem with discharges into local rivers as breaks to pipes are still being attended to. Could take months to fix. Roads are also slowly being repaired. So far, the EQC has had 64,000 insurance claims for damages to dwellings and is expected to top 100,000 claims. The cost is expected to be in excess of $2b. We are still getting aftershocks, the largest yesterday a 4.5M, although aftershocks are getting fewer.
On a more personal note, our house has had some damage, the major being a crack through the concrete pad foundation. Some cracking in walls and ceiling and a few bricks loose outside. The kids are back sleeping upstairs, although on Thursday night we had a swarm of aftershocks so brought them back downstairs, just in case. Their school, unfortunately, is extensively damaged with the possibility it wont reopen. They are currently being schooled at another temporary site til the end of the term (this week), then who knows what happens after their 2 week break.
This link gives you a timelapse of the quake and aftershocks www.christchurchquakemap.co.nz

Last edited by muir33; 09-18-2010 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: Link didnt work

Old 09-18-2010, 05:33 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,735,093 times
Thanks for the update, muir33. So sorry to hear of the damage to your house. Nothing structural obviously. Hopefully?? Dealing with aftershocks must be a nightmare.

All the best!

Old 09-18-2010, 05:45 PM

Thanks. We had a structural engineer through Friday...everything OK so now a matter of waiting for the insurance assessor. Aftershocks are getting less..last one was about 10-30pm last night (13 hours ago). We've got a bit complacent now with them although still run for the doorframes if one lasts for just a bit too long for comfort! We've got provisions packed in the car just in case.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:48 AM

Update: 1838 aftershocks since Sept 4th and counting.... Had a couple of good ones over the last 24 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand