Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 08:07 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,685,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I still like the sound of that.
I would live in the Sahara desert if I found a legal way to make a decent income and get "supplies."

Did NOBODY notice I mentioned that Bathurst is 3 hrs away, home to major V8-Supercar races?
Yes, I could see how trundle would be boring, but a day trip could take you to a lot of interesting places, imho.
Bathurst at least is still in the hills, Orange less so and by the time you get out near Trundle, it's mostly flat, dry and hot.

I'm a country man, but it's not my type of terrain. Just depends what you want I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 12:00 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,732,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Good grief, do you realise how small Trundle is and how desolate?

I haven't been there but I lived 4 hours south of Trundle in Griffith. Americans are not particularly welcome in small places like that, just a warning.

I would do a whole lot of research if I was moving my entire family to a tiny place in another country.

I doubt whether an American cop can work in Australia, but you would have to contact the Police Recruitment there.
Many small towns are "hit and miss" as to whether you will be accepted or not and/or the town is friendly.
Many small towns don't even like cityslickers or coastal people, and would often take many years to be accepted as part of the brethren, if at all.
I am biased, but I dislike small country towns intensely.
I have had my go, never again. You need to be off the land, or a country person to truly like it.
Forget about day trips, as suggested by CC. Putting 8 kids in the car, you'll be going about as far as Parkes only - at least there is "the Dish" there, and the annual Elvis festival.
As far as Christians go, there is no real "bible belt" in Oz, most are atheists and church attendance rates are woeful - particularly in the cities.
I would check the town out first before relocating there.

Last edited by Derek40; 11-07-2010 at 12:10 PM..

Old 11-07-2010, 02:33 PM

158 posts, read 215,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I love how those who exist in some craphole urban area always think the country is some form of Hell...not just in regards to this thread but elsewhere.

To me,I could think of nothing worse than living in some place like Sydney...or Atlanta...or any city really.

No, there are plenty of fantastic areas in the country. Some I'd move to in a flash. Just as plentyful are, in my opinion towns that are hell holes. Plenty of both in the city as well.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:36 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,925,710 times
As with many places in Australia that are called towns i suspect Trundle is a place that blink your eyes and your through it, probably one road in and the same road out. Think very carefully about this move, are you used to such isolation and having no family around for support. You would also need a very large vehicle to move your family around and petrol is not cheap in Australia. Not to mention the lack of health facilites like doctors and hospitals large country towns are great but if this place is as i think it is don't do it !!!!

Old 11-08-2010, 12:08 AM

387 posts, read 871,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
As with many places in Australia that are called towns i suspect Trundle is a place that blink your eyes and your through it, probably one road in and the same road out. Think very carefully about this move, are you used to such isolation and having no family around for support. You would also need a very large vehicle to move your family around and petrol is not cheap in Australia. Not to mention the lack of health facilites like doctors and hospitals large country towns are great but if this place is as i think it is don't do it !!!!
Wondering if there is another town in Australia that might suit better? Bigger than Trundle and with more facilities ....but still inexpensive ???
Best wishes ....hoping you find what you are looking for

Old 11-09-2010, 01:23 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,351,936 times
Grass ain't always greener on this side of the TS! For some forsaken reason, many Kiwis seem to think this country is the land of milk and honey - it ain't!

Crisis forces charities to send homeless Kiwis back home | Herald Sun

Australian charities fly Kiwi beggars home | NATIONAL News (http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/australian-charities-fly-kiwi-beggars-home-3882878 - broken link)

Old 11-11-2010, 01:17 AM

6,046 posts, read 5,963,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
Grass ain't always greener on this side of the TS! For some forsaken reason, many Kiwis seem to think this country is the land of milk and honey - it ain't!

Crisis forces charities to send homeless Kiwis back home | Herald Sun

Australian charities fly Kiwi beggars home | NATIONAL News (http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/australian-charities-fly-kiwi-beggars-home-3882878 - broken link)
Perhaps unfairly targeting Kiwis,but the sad fact is that people are needing to resort to begging in the first place.
Question being are we witnessing the development of an under class in Australia of proportions or are these folk the unfortunate types that has gone with live in the city sine the begining?

Old 11-11-2010, 01:43 AM

790 posts, read 1,733,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I love how those who exist in some craphole urban area always think the country is some form of Hell...not just in regards to this thread but elsewhere.

To me,I could think of nothing worse than living in some place like Sydney...or Atlanta...or any city really.
Not to mention less crime, greater camaraderie within the town, etc. There are certainly pluses.

As to the original poster, I would say go for it if it were just you and your partner. However, having so many children to look after, it'll be far too difficult and stressful for what it's worth. You should be able to find a similar experience somewhere in America. The place is very remote and hot and dry so try some place in New Mexico or something.

Of course, if you're absolutely determined to try Trundle, then yes, snakes and spiders are a problem out there. Just avoid them. Kangaroos are not other than when you're driving. Australians are predominantly christians, but religion isn't particularly emphasized as it is in the US and religious arguments like creationism are very unpopular here. Whether you'll be accepted is difficult to say. It's a tiny town of 300, quite a few of them internationals, so you would probably get to know everyone's names and if the town is promoting this opportunity, then it's likely it's opening its arms. Things that would help your chances are not to preach your religion, not to boast about the US or criticize Australia and if anyone ever jokes or insults you by ridiculing your religion or nationality, just laugh it off - sometimes it might be aussie humor that you're just not understanding.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:47 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,963,227 times
Wouldn't think there would be many "internationals"persume foreign born is what is meant in a town such as Trundle.
One should perhaps be aware it can take Australians some time to warm to outsiders and can be very hit and miss. Folk tend to be rather reserved by American standards,at least i have found.
In fact a lot folk don't speak a lot on any of the big topics be that religion or politics or the arts,possibly a bit of a strain for some folk who feel so inclined to discuss issues and may well find themselves living in an intellectually arid enviroment.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:16 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,351,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Perhaps unfairly targeting Kiwis,but the sad fact is that people are needing to resort to begging in the first place.
Question being are we witnessing the development of an under class in Australia of proportions or are these folk the unfortunate types that has gone with live in the city sine the begining?
I don't have any problems with Kiwis moving here, after all a lot of Aussies move there which is quite fair

The point is it's always a great idea to have a job (and a PLACE) lined up BEFORE making the move here. Do lots of research/homework too. Just because it works out for one person doesn't mean it will for the other. The majority of "beggars" do come from NZ which isn't surprising given a lot of Kiwis move here in search of better-paying jobs which doesn't really ring true in many cases.

Kiwis ARE not entitled to pensions (and related-concessions), Medicare and register onto the Housing Commission waiting list over the first two years from date of arrival permanently (this was made law around 2000/2001). In the case of the latter - need to have Australian citizenship. The number of people registered on the Housing Commission list currently stands at 950,000.

I dealt, about a year ago, with a client who had significant health & mental problems, he came here from the South Island of NZ, expecting to get the pension & a cheap-rent HC flat AFTER hearing such advice from "friends". Needless to say he ended up on the streets of Sydney for a few months before being referred to my "work". We had to send him back to NZ because all his family live there & could look/care after/for him properly in which expenses - such as emergency accomodation and flights etc - is not covered by the NZ government but our charities - we should be putting this money towards looking after one of our own.

Reality needs to be looked at first before "dreams". We have a duty of care and responsibility BUT that doesn't mean we should have to take care of other "countries" citizens. We should be looking after our own first, after all that's what we pay tax for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand