Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 07:45 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,880,765 times

Advertisements

Six hours drive isn't a day trip???
LOL,I just drove over 700 miles in one day,350 miles one way and I also did a little work while up there.I have driven over 1050 miles in one day.

As to small towns,funny how it always seems to be the town that is unfriendly and NEVER the person complaining....

I think IF it was possible it would have been a life experience,if it worked out great,if not what have you lost?

We are moving to an area with the highest unemployment in that state,I have no job lined up and we will be living in a 'barn'(true it is now a cozy home but that is what it started out being) down a 1/4 mile long driveway that leads to a rough private road.

People need to live a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 10:40 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,818,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
A very wise decision...it would never have worked out. USA not really so bad that you would want to decamp to a place like Trundle.
Personally I would pick Trundle over anywhere Canada,
assuming I could expect to stay employed and afford to travel a bit on holidays.

Can't find stats for Trundle, but nearby Condobolin:
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...w_050137.shtml
Forbes:
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...w_065103.shtml
Parkes:
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...w_065026.shtml
Peak Hill:
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...w_050031.shtml

Basically these show there is no time of year clouds are more common than blue sky,
summers are 30+ C (86+ F), 8 months a year are 21+ C (70+ F)
and that their annual average morning low is like Toronto's annual average daytime high.
I think I would like their weather better than Sydney's.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 11-06-2010 at 10:58 AM..

Old 11-06-2010, 12:42 PM

4 posts, read 7,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
A very wise decision...it would never have worked out. USA not really so bad that you would want to decamp to a place like Trundle.
No, Im not complaining about the US, I love my country. I was just up for the adventure.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:58 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,987,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessiBell4 View Post
LOTS OF QUESTIONS......

Here is the story. We are a family of 10 (Mom, Dad, 8 young children). We are wanting a change. We are going to be selling our home and will have about $100,000 dollars to move and do whatever with. We also have a montly income of $2,200 that would follow us anywhere. Now, we are Christians, who homeschool, who want to farm or homestead. We are applying for the $1.00 a month farm house deal in Trundle, Australia. I know it's a long shot but I like to dream. If we were approved and got the green light to move there do you think we could pull it off? Now, we have never been to Australia, dont know much about it, and have actually never really been anywhere except the eastern part of the U.S. I would love the adventure of it all. I have heard wonderful things about the people there. Can anyone who knows anything about Trundle, or what we might expect if this happens can tell me anything, I would be gratefull. Also would our large family be accepted there? Are there many christians in Australia? Do I have to fear that my children will be bitten by killer snakes? Do kangaroos attack? My husband is a police officer here in the U.S., will he be able to possibly get a job in the same field in Australia? Thats enough for now.....
Well never heard of Trundle before until I read what you put up. I looked it up and yes there is an offering for an $1 an week. I lived in an small town and found the people quite clique and did not feel really accepted there. However not all small towns have that characteristics. Maybe you and your family could be accepted in Trundle. I have heard stories of immigrants moving to small towns and becoming very successful.

Well Australia is not as religious as America, even so its very easy to find an Church in most places in Australia.

There are many poisonous snakes however most of them are afraid of people and would flee away when approaching people.

Kangaroos dont attack people, however if you are driving on the outback roads at night you need to be careful of not hitting one by driving as it can cause damage to your car.

I not sure about the requirements of policeforce for Americans here.

Last edited by other99; 11-06-2010 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 11-06-2010, 04:28 PM

Trundle Tree Change.com

Old 11-06-2010, 11:52 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,685,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessiBell4 View Post
LOTS OF QUESTIONS......

Here is the story. We are a family of 10 (Mom, Dad, 8 young children). We are wanting a change. We are going to be selling our home and will have about $100,000 dollars to move and do whatever with. We also have a montly income of $2,200 that would follow us anywhere. Now, we are Christians, who homeschool, who want to farm or homestead. We are applying for the $1.00 a month farm house deal in Trundle, Australia. I know it's a long shot but I like to dream. If we were approved and got the green light to move there do you think we could pull it off? Now, we have never been to Australia, dont know much about it, and have actually never really been anywhere except the eastern part of the U.S. I would love the adventure of it all. I have heard wonderful things about the people there. Can anyone who knows anything about Trundle, or what we might expect if this happens can tell me anything, I would be gratefull. Also would our large family be accepted there? Are there many christians in Australia? Do I have to fear that my children will be bitten by killer snakes? Do kangaroos attack? My husband is a police officer here in the U.S., will he be able to possibly get a job in the same field in Australia? Thats enough for now.....
Could be wrong but having spent plenty long hours studying Australian immigration rules over the years, I would say it's extremely unlikely to let an American couple with 8 children in as permanent residents out of fear you'll be looking to get on the dole and ride the welfare system.

Basically before you bother any further, I would get on the Australian immigration website and start figuring out how many "points" you have and what standards you might meet for different visas to move to the country.

There are also many restrictions on foreign nationals buying used properties as the laws are based around encouraging foreign immigrants to buy brand new homes so you might want to do your research here first:

FIRB: Foreign Investment Review Board - Home

I have been out near Trundle and by American rural standards, it's the middle of nowhere. Rural Australia is way different than Rural America due to the lack of population in rural areas in Australia. I would liken the climate and scenery of Trundle to remote western Texas, mostly hot, dry and flat.

There are foreign police officers that have become police officers in Australia. However you must obtain permanent residency on your own first and also go through the training as everyone else does.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:03 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,685,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Ah well that explains it. Interesting concept, but the houses I looked at look like they need more than some paint and a hammer as they say.

I certainly wouldn't discourage someone if they really want to live in Trundle, but again it comes down to visas and without getting that done first, not much point in going further.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:57 AM

158 posts, read 215,850 times
There's a reason it's $1/week. It's TRUNDLE. It's in the middle of blinking no where.

Are you a half decent handyman as well? because this is part of the deal as well.
B
Quote:
RONWYN HERBERT: The only catch with the program is that people have to be prepared to help renovate some of the houses.

BEN KERIN: Some of them haven't been lived in for ten years but some of them are pretty well right to move into now so there's some great houses, some beautiful old places which is - it was a shame to see no-one living in them and they deteriorate. That's another reason why it's great to get someone moving into these places.
The World Today - Trundle welcomes newcomers with $1 rent scheme 02/11/2010

If you're even thinking of up & moving 8 children & your wife on such a trip you need to do one hell of a lot of research first. Not apply then look into it.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:39 AM

I love how those who exist in some craphole urban area always think the country is some form of Hell...not just in regards to this thread but elsewhere.

To me,I could think of nothing worse than living in some place like Sydney...or Atlanta...or any city really.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:48 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,818,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I would liken the climate and scenery of Trundle to remote western Texas, mostly hot, dry and flat.
I still like the sound of that.
I would live in the Sahara desert if I found a legal way to make a decent income and get "supplies."

Did NOBODY notice I mentioned that Bathurst is 3 hrs away, home to major V8-Supercar races?
Yes, I could see how trundle would be boring, but a day trip could take you to a lot of interesting places, imho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand