Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2022, 03:59 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,497,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
First question: Indonesians are only the 14th largest immigrant group with around 100,000 people born there. Many are Chinese Indonesians.

2. In round figures, a third of Australians rent and one third are paying off a home. The remaining one third own their home outright. Obviously people who have only a couple of years to go on their mortgage would be under a lot less financial stress than those who bought in the peak last year.

3. No idea how many countries people have travelled to. I doubt if there are reliable statistics on that. I have been to around 50 but that includes tiny countries like Monaco and San Marino.
22nd according to the census actually, stuck between Lebanon and Pakistan, and surprisingly the most common religion of people on Indonesian ancestry is catholic, bit not by much.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 08-22-2022 at 04:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2022, 04:09 PM

4,217 posts, read 4,886,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciTydude123 View Post
If you stick around the CBDs then Melbourne has vastly more and taller towers now. Travel outside the CBDs around the metro areas then Sydney is considerably denser overall, with tighter streets and pockets of high density developing everywhere. So both cities kinda going in different directions.
Oh yeah that's true. I thought they meant inner-city.

Sydney has height restrictions on buildings, and I guess because of geography has always been a bit more decentralised. It's actually amazing how dense it is despite that.

Old 08-22-2022, 04:48 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,305,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
22nd according to the census actually, stuck between Lebanon and Pakistan, and surprisingly the most common religion of people on Indonesian ancestry is catholic, bit not by much.
My figure may have come from the 2016 census and if so the current one would indicate a declining presence. Perhaps the Chinese Indonesians are Catholic? I have no idea.

Old 08-22-2022, 05:19 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,497,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
My figure may have come from the 2016 census and if so the current one would indicate a declining presence. Perhaps the Chinese Indonesians are Catholic? I have no idea.
They are 22nd if you include you count Australia as a country of birth, and included England and Scotland as separate countries, obviously some sources just list the UK as one country.

It looks like Indonesia have been Jumped by Iraq, Pakistan and Nepal over the last 5 years.

The Numbers of Indonesians are growing just not rapibly, they had a net immigration of +13,868 over the 5 year (2016 to 2021 period), which is the 16th biggest net gain in immigration over the period, Sandwich between the USA 15th and Syria 17th.

Old 08-23-2022, 03:30 AM

6,037 posts, read 5,946,596 times
One of the largest gains is again from Nepal. It won't be long before India passes England in making number one spot.

Old 08-23-2022, 11:11 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,994,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Indonesians are certainly not that well represented in Australia, compared to other Asian immigrants.
Surprising considering their proximity.
Also surprised by so many being Catholics, from a predominantly Muslim country.
I remember my late father helped a work colleague get permanent residency back in the 80s.
There weren’t many Indonesians back in those days.

Old 08-25-2022, 05:46 PM

6,037 posts, read 5,946,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Indonesians are certainly not that well represented in Australia, compared to other Asian immigrants.
Surprising considering their proximity.
Also surprised by so many being Catholics, from a predominantly Muslim country.
I remember my late father helped a work colleague get permanent residency back in the 80s.
There weren’t many Indonesians back in those days.
I don't think it is especially surprising. The majority being minority Indonesian Chinese coming who are of a Christian faith. Malaysia has a considerable population in birth terms here, is majority Muslim, but most that leave for Australia are not Muslim. There being less push factor for those of the Islam faith.
Back in the 80's there were few Asians, especially from the power houses that provide migrants now. India, Nepal, China.

Old 08-26-2022, 03:40 PM

If you take a lot at our immigration policy, you will see that for most potential immigrants it is a points based system. There is a fair amount of emphasis on English language skills and it is likely that more people in the former British colonial countries, such as Malaysia and India, have higher skills in English. Perhaps not so much in Indonesia, though I really do not know.

Old 08-30-2022, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Did the earlier news media reports overly emphasize the extent of the wildfires back in 2019/2020? After 17 days in Australia, haven't ever seen any dead or burnt trees. Adequately lush mixed Deciduous, Conifer, Palm trees forest. And I went all over just enough of New South Wales, Victoria, Sydney, and Melbourne.

California probably has that much worse to actually witness any significant wildfire damage. Didn't even encounter one second of this issue with the record Australia wildfire season.
No, you did not travel anywhere near the areas where the fires struck. The train from Sydney to Melbourne does not pass through the affected areas. You went to Kiama; had you continued south along the coast you would have come to the areas with the worse fires.

As it is now nearly three years since the fires started a lot of the bush has repaired itself though some is permanently destroyed. What is still a big problem is that a lot of the rebuilding on the NSW south coast has not been completed as there have been shortages of builders and materials.

Old 08-30-2022, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
When foreign tourists visit Australia, able to use International Credit Debit Card on literally 100% of absolutely any cash funds spending action. Even for public transportation, and vending machines. At least 10 days of entire trip, nothing taken outside of Card. Very easy. First country possible out all countries visited when I didn't even have to use Currency exchange or withdraw from ATM.
Yes cash is little used since Covid. One local coffee shop used to be cash only but were pretty much forced to accept cards but have had a minimum of $5. Closed a couple of weeks ago, suspect they were surviving on cash income which has all but disappeared.

The grandkids get their pocket money as a tally on their parents’ phones but I have to say they get quite excited when I give them some old-fashioned coins which they keep in an old-fashioned money box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand