Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 06:55 PM

117 posts, read 344,263 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am an Asian American that has time spent with Australians and to a smaller degree White South Africans in my futue.

I am on the verge of proposing to my long term Australian girlfriend. I will likely move down under.

Therefore, I will be working and living in Australia.

Although, I have visited Australia several times, I have never really lived and worked there so I am not really familiar what day to day business life is like down there.

To complicate matters, several of my inlaw's will be white South Africans and she has a friend who I may be involved in business with who is White South African.

MY significant other does visit extended family regulary for a few weeks each year at their place in CT, South Africa.

To clarify, my significant other is Australian, I will be working and livining in Australia but may have some significant involvement with White South Africans.

From what I have heard Australians and White South Africans are often at each others throats.

I would like some objective opinions on the following:

While people are individuals,

What do you consider to be the

Strengths and Weaknesses of Australians

Strengths and Weaknesses of White South Africans

If engaged in a business/working relationship with an Australian or White South African, are there any important cultural differences in how these two groups handle work and business.

any honest opinions or insights would be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 07:13 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
to be honest, I hardly ever stereotype an entire race on the limited dealings I might have had with them

I've met some people from Sth Africa who are great. I've met some who aren't.

Its best to come with an open mind. Don't be too precious, and you'll be fine

Old 05-23-2011, 08:38 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
From what it seems White South Africans assimilate more into Anglo culture along with the Brits, because of the whole shared Commonwealth thing, and the fact the cultures are somewhat similar. Some White South Africans come across as a bit racist, but I don't know how bad it was over there so I can't comment.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:30 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
I don't know about the "at each other's throats" assessment but from the South Africans I know and have had frank discussions with their view of Australian business practises is that it's far too "she'll be right", unprofessional and generally frustrating for them to deal with. We've had a few things done by South African businesses and they've been punctual, professional and accurate

Some Aussie businesses are just as good but there are a lot with a much more casual approach to service, precision, punctuality, neatness, follow-up, etc. and for that you pay big money. Plumbers and electricians here can be the most aggravating rip-off artists you'll ever have the misfortune to deal with. We're dealing with one of them now - I'll be lucky if my husband isn't jailed for murder.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:34 AM

53 posts, read 149,065 times
Interesting...

I've had NO experience with White South Africans but it's another story of colonization gone 'badly' wrong maybe...

But ENJOY OZ! I ****ing love Oz and hope to visit Oz/NZ soon on a vacation erm. holiday!

Plus the flight from Oz/NZ to Asia (SIN, HKG, BKK, KUL, PVG, NRT, etc...) is only 7-10 hours instead of the BLOODY long trans-pac flights I've had to endure in my life to visit family and go on holiday/explore.

Oh and the 12-14 hour Oceania-North America flights are KILLER!

I need to visit in a good-pair of noise cancelling head-phones considering I maybe racking up a ****-ton of frequent flyer miles in my life in the future possibly...

Old 05-24-2011, 03:36 AM

53 posts, read 149,065 times
I am so envious of proposing to a white-Australian gf! Well done mate!
Aside:
/me looks at self in mirror and learns maybe I'm too bloody smart, intelligent and maybe a bit Asian... Oh well I will find the perfect mate in life later on, I'm only 22 atm...

Old 05-24-2011, 04:35 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,956,682 times
We're only at each other's throats during the cricket or the Rugby. South Africans actually get on pretty well with Australians, I don't see any problems arising.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:16 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Id post your questions on south Africans on the World forum, not the Aussie one

Old 06-07-2011, 10:27 PM

1 posts, read 4,629 times
I'm Australian and I (unfortunately) deal with South African clients every now and then. Every time I hear a South African on the other end of the phone inquiring about my services I feel like finding the closest bar and drinking the cheapest liquor possible to put myself out of my misery.

South Africans are rude and obnoxious and have very little compassion or empathy (Australians are the COMPLETE opposite to this!!!). Every client, every time. As of yesterday, I refuse to deal with South African clients.

Yesterday I had a 42° fever, could barely speak and was curled up feeling like I was going to die. I answered the phone thinking it was my Mother. Unfortunately it was a South African client. I told her my situation and said I would call her next week; I could barely physically speak. She wrote me an email thereafter telling me that I was RUDE!!!

Asian clients are awesome. Never a problem, always polite.

You would be best not to have business dealings with South Africans, if you can avoid it. You'll see.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:02 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
Did you post this with a 42 deg fever? Thats high. Hope you got to a doctor

also, doesn't sound like a smart business plan: refusing to deal with "clients" due to where they are from
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand