Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 06:53 PM

25 posts, read 32,130 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My husband has been approached by his employer (a global company) in regards to working on a contract they just won in Australia. He of course said yes, and things are still in the talking phase. While things are being worked out, I have began some research, but still have lots of questions. Some may be answered as this process goes on....

My husbands employer will sponsor his visa, we're looking at a 3-10 year move. Is it reasonable that they would also sponsor visas for me and the kids?

It appears that we would be in the Belconnen area of ACT - I don't see much on ACT at all in the forum - anyone living there now?

I have two second graders and a 8/9th grader. All the school information I have been able to find separates the students into "residents" and "international". When I look at the "international" section, it often refers to temporary status. (3-6 mo) We will be there a lot longer than that. I have emailed the school district and as of yet (2 weeks) recieved no reply. Any Americans with school age children? How was your residency determined?

Also regarding schools - are they zoned like they are in the U.S. where my girls must go to the neighborhood school? Or can you go to any school you are able to get the students too? I've discovered that the high schools start specializing early. If the schools are zoned, I don't want to move to a zone for a more arts focused high school when my oldest is more maths. Although a more arts focused school would be better for one of my second graders. LOL Or does the focus of the high school not even matter because they go to a focused college for 11-12? (and are those zoned?)

If someone has gone on a work sponsored move to Oz - how long did it take for you to get your shipping container of household goods? I'm just looking for an estimate on our wait time. I grew up military & married military until we changed directions, but have not lived OCONUS since I was a kid - which means I had no part of the logistics! :-)

How common are farmers/growers markets in Belconnen? We get a good deal of our produce from farmers markets or stands now, and I'd like to continue that.

I've also seen a few blogs with grocery estimates and it seems like I am going to be paying about twice as much for my groceries in Oz as I do here. I prefer my food to be as local as possible and minimally or non processed. Is this going to be difficult to find? I don't want to start feeding my kids processed chemical crap if there is real food options.

We've looked at several websites to get rental estimates and it seems like 3 bedroom (1 bath) homes average $400-500 per week. That's pretty steep! In general are any utilities or services included in rental price? It's hit or miss with inclusions here in the states, but worth asking. Oh - and hubby has noticed the clothes lines in he back yards. Do the houses usually have a small electric dryer? Or just the clothes line? I grew up in warm Pacific climates mostly where clothes lines were normal and he grew up in humid ones, so he's not really into the clothes line idea. I like the smell (and eco benefits) of line dried items, but have to agree that I'd rather underclothes not be hanging out.

Medical - my understanding is that we will be putting into the system. Someone at hubby's work made a comment about his wife not being able to use the system when they were there? I haven't researched this one at all yet. If we're paying into the system for medical visits, will be we able to use those benifits, or becuase we are not citizens will be have to pay out of pocket?

This question is a complete long shot - my oldest is a competitive gymnast working optional levels. Does anyone have any experiance with both the USA Gymnastics & Australian Gymnastics organizations? How does a US level 7/8 translate to Australian Gymnastics?

Thanks for any help. I'll probably have more questions as the talks continue and others are answered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 12:39 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,731,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cskame View Post
Hello,
My husband has been approached by his employer (a global company) in regards to working on a contract they just won in Australia. He of course said yes, and things are still in the talking phase. While things are being worked out, I have began some research, but still have lots of questions. Some may be answered as this process goes on....

My husbands employer will sponsor his visa, we're looking at a 3-10 year move. Is it reasonable that they would also sponsor visas for me and the kids?

It appears that we would be in the Belconnen area of ACT - I don't see much on ACT at all in the forum - anyone living there now?

I have two second graders and a 8/9th grader. All the school information I have been able to find separates the students into "residents" and "international". When I look at the "international" section, it often refers to temporary status. (3-6 mo) We will be there a lot longer than that. I have emailed the school district and as of yet (2 weeks) recieved no reply. Any Americans with school age children? How was your residency determined?

Also regarding schools - are they zoned like they are in the U.S. where my girls must go to the neighborhood school? Or can you go to any school you are able to get the students too? I've discovered that the high schools start specializing early. If the schools are zoned, I don't want to move to a zone for a more arts focused high school when my oldest is more maths. Although a more arts focused school would be better for one of my second graders. LOL Or does the focus of the high school not even matter because they go to a focused college for 11-12? (and are those zoned?)

If someone has gone on a work sponsored move to Oz - how long did it take for you to get your shipping container of household goods? I'm just looking for an estimate on our wait time. I grew up military & married military until we changed directions, but have not lived OCONUS since I was a kid - which means I had no part of the logistics! :-)

How common are farmers/growers markets in Belconnen? We get a good deal of our produce from farmers markets or stands now, and I'd like to continue that.

I've also seen a few blogs with grocery estimates and it seems like I am going to be paying about twice as much for my groceries in Oz as I do here. I prefer my food to be as local as possible and minimally or non processed. Is this going to be difficult to find? I don't want to start feeding my kids processed chemical crap if there is real food options.

We've looked at several websites to get rental estimates and it seems like 3 bedroom (1 bath) homes average $400-500 per week. That's pretty steep! In general are any utilities or services included in rental price? It's hit or miss with inclusions here in the states, but worth asking. Oh - and hubby has noticed the clothes lines in he back yards. Do the houses usually have a small electric dryer? Or just the clothes line? I grew up in warm Pacific climates mostly where clothes lines were normal and he grew up in humid ones, so he's not really into the clothes line idea. I like the smell (and eco benefits) of line dried items, but have to agree that I'd rather underclothes not be hanging out.

Medical - my understanding is that we will be putting into the system. Someone at hubby's work made a comment about his wife not being able to use the system when they were there? I haven't researched this one at all yet. If we're paying into the system for medical visits, will be we able to use those benifits, or becuase we are not citizens will be have to pay out of pocket?

This question is a complete long shot - my oldest is a competitive gymnast working optional levels. Does anyone have any experiance with both the USA Gymnastics & Australian Gymnastics organizations? How does a US level 7/8 translate to Australian Gymnastics?

Thanks for any help. I'll probably have more questions as the talks continue and others are answered.
There are not many members from the ACT here unfortuntately.
Each state/ terrirotory has it's own school system, so I would suggest look at the ACT Board of Studies to start with.
Generally in NSW most school kids go to the closest school, though this is not always the case.
Most rental houses are unfurnished, so things like a dryer you will have to buy yourself.
Canberra is a fairly continental climate by Oz standards, and a clothes dryer during the winter months may be necessary due to short days with fog and frost.
Since you have a child that is a gymnast - Canberra is the ideal location - as the AIS, ie the Australian Institute of Sport is located there, and this is a fantastic facility.
You mention farmers markets and local produce, this will not be very local in the ACT as it is a small area and most produce would be imported.
The supermarket duopoly of Coles and Woolworths has also killed off many of the old fruit and vege shops and markets.
The medical system for non-Australians I cannot comment on.

Last edited by Derek40; 09-20-2011 at 12:41 AM.. Reason: extra

Old 09-20-2011, 04:56 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,351,000 times
If I were you - I'd stay off shore & stay onshore America - just don't move here ok :-)

Old 09-20-2011, 05:08 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,488,144 times
I can't help with many of your questions, but can tell you that there are seven farmer's markets in the Canberra area, one of which is in Belconnen.

Farmers Markets | Canberra | ACT | Buy Organic

Old 09-20-2011, 05:36 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
Hi cskame, big move! All the best with that. I've done it myself, to Perth in 1999 and heading back soon, to Canada.

Visa - will you be on a temporary 457 visa? Or will you get Permanent Residency?

Shipping - takes about 6 weeks from North America to here. Our Quarantine people are very strict - read the rules carefully about what not to bring. Fumigation is expensive. We're 240 volt so your electronics won't work without a very good voltage converter, not the cheap $20 ones if you decide to use them. Just for the small items, like kitchen appliances, not fridges, etc. Laptops should be dual though, and some other items, you'll just need a power plug converter - buy them there.

Medicare (our public health system) - not available for temporary visa holders only for citizens and PRs. If you're on a temporary visa you should apply for a Medicare Levy exemption so you'll be exempt from paying the levy. Private health insurance is strongly advised. Try this site for an idea: IMAN Australian Health Plans - Health Plans for Temporary Residents Working in Australia

Yes, be prepared for expensive everything. Good luck.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:12 AM

4,227 posts, read 4,891,073 times
Quote:
I haven't been to Belconnen in a long time, but growing up I used to go down there quite a lot as we had close family friends (their kids actually went to Belconnen Public School) who we'd often visit on our way up/down to the snow. It's a nice enough part of Canberra, very suburban. I always found most of Canberra looks about the same (hard to tell which are the more expensive suburbs), although I think the Southside around Yarralumla/Deakin is pricier than the Northside (where Belconnen is).

Wrt to famers' markets, you could check this one out...
Exhibition Park in Canberra, Saturday mornings 8am to 11am | Capital Region Farmers Market

Although not in Belconnen, Canberra is sufficiently small to be able to drive around. The one thing I've never much like about Canberra is that it is really, really spaced out. It's almost like they thought they were going to get a couple of million people living there. Aside from that I've always liked Canberra. If you enjoy the outdoors it's a great part of the world, you have major city convenience but you're only a 15-20 minute drive to get into the bush.

I'd definately suggest a dryer, it can get well past freezing in Canberra during the Winter.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:47 PM

103 posts, read 186,792 times
Many inquiries you have. First thing, if you are looking at a 3-10 year move - you'll want to seek permanent residence in AU for a number of reasons. The likelihood of you or your kids wanting to return to U.S. after spending that amount of time in AU will be questionable and the costs associated with not having permanent residence for a family with school age kids also can be substantial.

If your husband's occupation is one needed in AU, and you are <45 years old - it is likely you'll (the entire family) be eligible for permanent residence. Until you are a permanent resident, it is likely that even public school would cost money. In the event you wanted your children to go to private school - the government subsidy for this (which makes private school much more affordable than in the U.S. and much more accessible) would not be paid and you'd also need to pay for this. You'll have to check in detail on my statement regarding public school costing you money - but I think this is correct. In regard to healthcare - once you are a permanent resident, you have Medicare which is actually very good in comparison to what you'll even get with private health insurance in the U.S. As a physician myself who works in the health system and migrated from the U.S. 4 years ago - I know the health and insurance questions well.

If you choose not to go with permanent residence - IMAN is actually great for insurance and covers you extremely well for everything at a very affordable rate.

A large % of kids go to private school as compared to the U.S. It is a totally different system as it is subsidized to a huge amount whereas in the U.S. there is no such subsidy. Private schools usually range from $5,000/year upward with many of the pretty decent ones being in the $7,000/year range per student. Public schools typically allow some choice if you don't want to go to the local one you can request your child go to another one or one that has a specific focus. In general both public and private schools are much better funded and have more amenities than that in the U.S. (common they have a large swimming pool, big gyms, excellent sports fields, tennis courts, etc).

Cost of living is high in AU - so need to factor that into whatever salary is paid -- however, quality of life is also high and social supports within society also high such that there is not the sense of desperation present in the U.S.

Shipping is variable - and is a bit of work as you'll have to go and get it to clear customs etc -- you'll want your employer to set up a door to door pickup and delivery rather than deal with this yourself. Also - don't bring furniture and electric stuff -- just repurchase.

On the medical question - if you are not a permanent resident, you'll not be paying into the system - you'll be exempt - and must show that you have medical insurance (I'd go with IMAN for this). They may pull out the 1.5% for Medicare in tax, but you'll get that all back as you are medicare exempt until you are a permanent resident. With IMAN -- you've got 100% coverage for everything if you take top cover.

In regard to gymnastics, I'd be quite sure that there will be decent gymnastics available in ACT as it is a reasonable population and AU is a highly sports motivated country - I think a web search would yield a fair bit on this and you could easily establish a dialogue with such a gym to sort out the details.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:03 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,449,471 times
Here are some helpful links about the VISA

Australia 457 Visa | Australian Work Visa 457

And the 856 VISA to become a permant resident if you are over age 45

457 to 856 Visa

Old 09-22-2011, 06:29 AM

25 posts, read 32,130 times
Thank you for the helpful information & websites. Some I have run across, and others I haven't. I appreciate the direction.

We had already planned on bringing very little, but after reading the custums & quarantine website, I'll have to go back over the list and really question it. I just need to weigh the replacement costs.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:11 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
Quote:
Thank you for the helpful information & websites. Some I have run across, and others I haven't. I appreciate the direction.

We had already planned on bringing very little, but after reading the custums & quarantine website, I'll have to go back over the list and really question it. I just need to weigh the replacement costs.
What specifically are you worried about?

The only problem we had with Quarantine was some Christmas decorations. A couple had some pine cones in them, and the Nativity scene had sphagnum moss in it. We cleaned our bikes really well, no problem with them. We even brought our lawnmower and that passed okay, but then my husband cleaned it like he had OCD.

Everyone has a different opinion on this but we brought most of our household goods and furniture and don't regret it at all. We're taking most of it back with us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand