Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 01:55 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

Specifically people who are really anti-immigration, complaining about people from overseas taking jobs, changing Australia from a whitebread society into a multicultural one, or say refugees or the flood of Asians/Muslims. The part about jobs is probably not as bad as say in the mid 90s due to a low level of unemployment, but it seems alot of the anti-immigration sentiment is also racially motivated, not just nationally so.

The top two countries for immigrants are still UK and NZ. I've heard some grumbling about them, but overall these two groups integrate the best into Australian society for obvious reasons. Clearly, one of the reasons why some hard-core anti-immigration people or racists (which are two different groups, but there is alot of overlap) aren't so up in arms about the English flooding in is because that's where they came from earlier on. They don't physically stand out like Asians, and unlike some Africans speak English. Also, the White Australia policy never included Britons, indeed it encouraged English (and to a lesser extent Scottish, Welsh) migrants here.

I have no problem with immigrants from any nation, but I do notice that anyone who still has those old school One Nation type attitudes who uses jobs etc as the reason doesn't seem to care so much about Anglo immigration. What's more, it's often 'blue collar' types who hold these attitudes and many English migrants here just take on 'blue collar' jobs. Immigrants from other nations generally have to be professionals, although now I think the Brits have fewer advantages.

Pauline Hanson, the former leader of One Nation for those non-Australians here, recently considered moving to England. Yes, that's right, that's how proud of her country she was. Makes sense because that's where he real roots are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 02:56 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,647,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Specifically people who are really anti-immigration, complaining about people from overseas taking jobs, changing Australia from a whitebread society into a multicultural one, or say refugees or the flood of Asians/Muslims. The part about jobs is probably not as bad as say in the mid 90s due to a low level of unemployment, but it seems alot of the anti-immigration sentiment is also racially motivated, not just nationally so.

The top two countries for immigrants are still UK and NZ.

I have no problem with immigrants from any nation, but I do notice that anyone who still has those old school One Nation type attitudes who uses jobs etc as the reason doesn't seem to care so much about Anglo immigration. What's more, it's often 'blue collar' types who hold these attitudes and many English migrants here just take on 'blue collar' jobs. Immigrants from other nations generally have to be professionals, although now I think the Brits have fewer advantages.
I don't think it's true any more than we provide the most immigrants, not according to this:
Australia takes more Chinese migrants than British - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/australia-takes-more-chinese-migrants-british-053936471.html - broken link)

And also, I read somewhere that a British person can stay longer on a WHV than most other nationalities but do we actually have an advantage at all with the points system? I've heard somewhere that some of the citizenship test questions are along the lines of "What's the Ashes?" which obviously will be easier for us and perhaps we're more likely to already have family there, but I'm not sure if the immigration procedure itself gives us preference.

Plenty of people complain about foreigners here btw but people from Anglosphere nations seem exempt, and after you it's other western European immigrants who people complain about the least. It makes sense to feel less threatened by newcomers who you know are likely to fit in better.

Last edited by ben86; 10-24-2011 at 03:07 AM..

Old 10-24-2011, 03:04 AM

1,801 posts, read 2,923,410 times
Strange, you are asking questions that you already know the answers to. What is it you really want to know?

Old 10-24-2011, 05:02 AM

497 posts, read 982,978 times
I haven't really picked up on the jobs argument. Takeover, overrun, etc seems to be the main thing.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:46 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,495,551 times
Of course no one compalains about british migration to australia, call it racisim, fear of the unknown, ignorance or what ever you like.
Never mind that historically the biggest source of illegal immigaration in Australia is europeans overstaying their WHV or trouist visas. Never heard of anyone ever complaining about thoes people stealing all our jobs.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 10-24-2011 at 07:14 PM..

Old 10-24-2011, 07:48 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,726,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Of course no one compalains about british migration to australia, call it racisim, fear of the unknown, ignorance or what ever you like.
Never mind that historically the biggest source of illegal immigaration in Australia is europeans overstaying their WHV or trouist visas. Never heard of anyone ever complaining about thoes people stealing all our jobs.
Probably coz they're the only ones wanting to pick our fruit and veg, and serve us in restaurants. So no complaints here Most wait staff I've had have had some sort of European accent and they're good at their job - efficient, quick, attentive.

I hear the odd complaint about "too many Poms in Perth", with certain suburbs nicknamed "Little Britain", but it never seems all that serious, and often is said in jest.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Probably coz they're the only ones wanting to pick our fruit and veg, and serve us in restaurants. So no complaints here Most wait staff I've had have had some sort of European accent and they're good at their job - efficient, quick, attentive.

I hear the odd complaint about "too many Poms in Perth", with certain suburbs nicknamed "Little Britain", but it never seems all that serious, and often is said in jest.
Just as many asians doing this these days as europeans, but of course the asians are "Illegal Immigrants stealing aussie jobs" while the europeans are "good efficient workers".

Yes its a double standard which really should not exist and i presume Trimac was trying to alert us all to in the first place.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 10-24-2011 at 10:01 PM..

Old 10-24-2011, 11:44 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,729,991 times
Quote:
Just as many asians doing this these days as europeans, but of course the asians are "Illegal Immigrants stealing aussie jobs" while the europeans are "good efficient workers".

Yes its a double standard which really should not exist and i presume Trimac was trying to alert us all to in the first place.
As yourself and Trimac have alluded to, British immigrants seem to have less criteria on entry to this country.
Unlike Asians (both oriental and subcontinental) who are often professionally educated - this does not seem to apply to British - who often have little, if any, tertiary education.
Most of the Poms I have come across (particularly in WA) are tradies, or other odd jobs type people. They usually sound working class, and are often into working class type hobbies, eg greyhounds.
The same could be said of Kiwis, but they often come here on work visas and then somehow end up staying.
There used to be a loop hole whereby immigrants could get through "" the back door"" , usually British, via NZ -usually by spending 12 months there. Fortunately this has been tightened.
On the whole, they seem to slip through the radar in many ways, and hopefully this will start to change and they will be subjected to the same rigorous criteria to enter this country as other immigrants.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:33 AM

Its amazing how hard it is to find an aussie citizen to fill a professional job in Australia. We need a Mangement Accountant with a bit of experience hear at work, of the 70 or so applications recieved in the week since posting the add, every one of them has come from an international student.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:13 PM

991 posts, read 1,769,183 times
Quote:
Its amazing how hard it is to find an aussie citizen to fill a professional job in Australia. We need a Mangement Accountant with a bit of experience hear at work, of the 70 or so applications recieved in the week since posting the add, every one of them has come from an international student.
The issue is pay. The difference between professionals and non-professionals in Australia is insignificant. An Australian can go to the US, Europe and HK/Singapore and be paid at least twice as much as they are making in Australia. Its kind of like a cycle, the international students come to Australia for the standard of living, Australian professionals go overseas for the standard of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand