Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2011, 01:50 PM

141 posts, read 342,281 times

Advertisements

New Zealand Election 2011 - Parties, candidates, election results, news and analysis - NZ Herald
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 04:28 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,111,231 times
didn't even realise they were going to elections
See the greens won more of the vote....hmm

Old 11-26-2011, 07:02 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
Good for them, I'll have to read up on the coverage later.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:34 PM

286 posts, read 1,029,556 times
Isn't this national party conservtive/right-wing? I thought New Zealand was a more left-wing/progressive country?

Old 11-27-2011, 10:35 PM

4,224 posts, read 4,888,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obamanation View Post
Isn't this national party conservtive/right-wing? I thought New Zealand was a more left-wing/progressive country?
It's all relative. Like a NY Republican is a pinko anywhere else.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:12 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
Quote:
Not as much anymore.

I know a lot of New Zealanders and over the years a lot of people are coming around to the fact that mindless regulation, political correctness, a huge lazy welfare class, social engineering, "green" energy wasn't doing the country a lot of good and in fact sending it on the path to destruction down the road. Anyone with a brain or talent along with their wealth started fleeing this "progressive green paradise", so much so that population was going to head for a decline and it was estimated that within a few short years what money people had would be overseas and it would cease any chance of being a prosperous productive society. The "brain drain" is well documented.

The path to prosperity isn't found through tax payer funded welfare paying a large chunk of society to be unproductive, uneducated, talentless, skill deprived and with nothing to look forward to in life. A lot of New Zealanders finally started to figure that out, hence the turn towards conservative politics.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:25 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,947,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Not as much anymore.

I know a lot of New Zealanders and over the years a lot of people are coming around to the fact that mindless regulation, political correctness, a huge lazy welfare class, social engineering, "green" energy wasn't doing the country a lot of good and in fact sending it on the path to destruction down the road. Anyone with a brain or talent along with their wealth started fleeing this "progressive green paradise", so much so that population was going to head for a decline and it was estimated that within a few short years what money people had would be overseas and it would cease any chance of being a prosperous productive society. The "brain drain" is well documented.

The path to prosperity isn't found through tax payer funded welfare paying a large chunk of society to be unproductive, uneducated, talentless, skill deprived and with nothing to look forward to in life. A lot of New Zealanders finally started to figure that out, hence the turn towards conservative politics.

Yes NZ needs to dig up billions of tons of rocks and send it to China, needs that knowledge economy that Australia has lol

Last edited by Vichel; 11-28-2011 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: Attack the post, not the poster

Old 11-28-2011, 12:31 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
I don't think it is as complicated as that. Both major parties get a fair amount of time in power. I was surprised at the amount of people I knew, who decided to vote on how the government handled the earthquake, or how personable they think John key is. For sure, some people vote on policy/ideology, but I think a lot of people vote on a more superficial level (as is their right). Left leaning parties still got nearly half the vote.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:02 PM

4,224 posts, read 4,888,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
Yes NZ needs to dig up billions of tons of rocks and send it to China, needs that knowledge economy that Australia has lol

Australian GDP per capita is $56,000; NZ GDP per capita is $30k. Mining accounts for 5% of GDP, so $2,800. Doesn't really explain the difference.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:27 PM

387 posts, read 871,053 times
Quote:
hhhmmmm
Wondering why left wing must mean 'progressive'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand