Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 09:55 AM

6 posts, read 17,046 times

Advertisements

New Zealand is one of the most visited places in the world. It is a country that recognizes and celebrates its native people. The most impressive is the strong, ordinary and attractive Maori culture – these people managed to keep their culture and traditions intact – the basic part of NZ history. It means that Maori people play a big role in NZ tourism developing.
What places of NZ are connected to Maori, or where can we find the remains of their culture, art or any other aspects of it?
Share your experience; share such worth for visiting places of NZ and tell us your stories connected to it - will be really helpful for foreigners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 10:59 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
If you go by visitor arrivals I'm not sure New Zealand is one of the most visited places in the world or even close. It's not even very high on the list for most Australians, which is unfortunate because it's got some amazing scenery and there are alot of activities you can enjoy there.

I went on a school ski trip back in 2002 and enjoyed every minute of it. First time seeing snow and then learning to ski, finally skiing from the top of the mountain on the last day. Christchurch was a nice city with a quaint little historic core (sadly alot of that was destroyed in the earthquakes), Dunedin reminds one of a smaller Scottish port city/large village. The South Island has spectacular scenery including Fiordland featuring Milford Sound, the Southern Alps including the glaciers like Fox Glacier, the inland of Otago has a brooding feel, pretty arid too like Nevada.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:23 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,428,627 times
The main reason for it not being one of the most visited places in the world, is the location. NZ is very isolated and a long way from 95% of the rest of the world.
Because its sure not about what it has to offer.......

Old 10-10-2011, 06:23 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
The main reason for it not being one of the most visited places in the world, is the location. NZ is very isolated and a long way from 95% of the rest of the world.
Because its sure not about what it has to offer.......
Yes it sure is. Anything comparison on how many tourists came to this year's rugby world cup compared to other years, particularly 2003 when it was held in Australia?

Old 10-10-2011, 07:58 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,473,128 times
I LOVE visiting NZ. I have never had a bad experience (except for a rather unpleasant B&B owner and the big storm of 2004). The countryside is spectacular, there is SO much to see and do and it takes only 15 hours to get there (which isn't bad when you think it takes me 10 hours to get to Heathrow). Whether I'm visiting friends in the big city or driving thro the wilds of Otago I just drink it all in and have a wonderful time. I know it's not perfect and living there can be hard work, but it's still one of my favourite places.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:28 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
1. going tramping on spectacular south island with nary another person in sight
2. relaxing on one of the mineral (hot) water fed soaking pools in rotorua and watching lake taupo as birds fly overhead. the pools range from hot to really hot. BTW I love the sulphuric smell of Rotorua.. great for my asthma.
3. Relaxing with mates on a dark night on Piha beach, west of Auckland. Being surprisingly entertained by watching the stars overhead. Knowing Grey Lynn is not a long drive back
4. Sharing Hawaiian tales that I learned as a kid with a Maori woman and finding similarities (e.g., Maoris and Hawaiians both believe that the God Maui brought Aotearoa (Hawaii) up from the bottom of the sea).
5. Taking the ferry to Devonport for a Subway sub. Yeah I know they have Subways in Auckland.. but why not have a boat trip prior to the first bite?

Someone on CD once assumed I was an NZ hater, au contraire, the only thing I hate about NZ is I find Auckland unaffordable and that's the only place I'd live in NZ (I'm a city boy), I know it so well, I am able to give tourists driving directions to different parts of town.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:32 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,473,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
3. Relaxing with mates on a dark night on Piha beach, west of Auckland. Being surprisingly entertained by watching the stars overhead.
I would include "Not getting drunk and attempting to climb Lion Rock, falling off and having to be rescued by the Piha lifeguards" in that one

Old 10-10-2011, 03:33 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
I would include "Not getting drunk and attempting to climb Lion Rock, falling off and having to be rescued by the Piha lifeguards" in that one
hush. you had to bring down a positive post eh? lol..
my mate in grey lnn is a mormon so no alcohol was involved.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:04 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,428,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yes it sure is. Anything comparison on how many tourists came to this year's rugby world cup compared to other years, particularly 2003 when it was held in Australia?
Not sure on the exact stats mate, but obviously it would be well up.
The cities right now are like I've never seen before in terms of the share volume of tourists and vistors.
If anyone has those stats, would be interested in seeing them......

Old 10-11-2011, 04:19 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,656,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Not sure on the exact stats mate, but obviously it would be well up.
The cities right now are like I've never seen before in terms of the share volume of tourists and vistors.
If anyone has those stats, would be interested in seeing them......
I'd be interested to see them as well. It's pretty surprising if this year got more visitors than 2003 (though I've noticed the RWC seems to get a bigger profile every time) considering the recession and high NZ$. Plenty of glowing articles about NZ in the UK press by the way:

BBC - Ben Dirs: The small-town values that made Dan Carter
BBC - Ben Dirs: Chasing the All Black dream
BBC - Tom Fordyce: 'Pretty Boy' Johnson and his All Blacks double-life
http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2011/...-for-kick-off/

Last edited by ben86; 10-11-2011 at 04:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand