Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 08:46 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,144,031 times

Advertisements

What things do you associate with 'Old Australia?' That Australia that people like John Howard lament the passing of.

For me things that drip with old Australiana include:

- RSL Clubs

- Old country pubs that serve only beer, where pizza is 'ethnic food'

- Freemason's lodges

- Bowling Clubs

- The Country Women's Association

- Fetes, the Royal Show, Agricultural Shows

- Picnics and barbecues in the park or by the beach

- English tea gardens, having damper and scones for tea

- The local milk-bar/lunch-bar

- Chiko rolls

- Rural agriculture stores

- Swimming/sea-baths

- Wooden Federation style homes with rose gardens

- The race track

- The suburban footy oval, complete with grandstand

- Bush poets/Aussie folk music

- Akubra hats, the crack of a stockman's whip, merino wall and shearing sheds

- Weekend drives, visits to homesteads

- Windmills against the backdrop of a barren plain, red sunset in the horizon

- Ice cream on the beach, especially a Peter's!

- God save the Queen (that will not be missed!), Toff accents on TV

All of which are very nice and quaint, even for this young bloke! Still I realise things are changing. I just hope it all doesn't go away. When do you feel that 'old school' feel went away? For me I'd say by the mid 90s or so. I feel Australia is alot more multi-cultural today than even 15 years ago. Probably good and bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 01:35 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,137,949 times
RSL clubs are pretty busy in Sydney... (surprisingly!)

I think a lot of these things are still relevant today.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:34 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,144,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post

RSL clubs in Sydney are a whole 'nother thing altogether. Huge, modern, multi-million facilities ringing with the hypnotic electronic sound of those poker machines. I remember having lunch at an RSL like that on the Gold Coast one time. Here they're still pretty small, clubbish affairs. Very much an 'Old boys' thing.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:00 PM

201 posts, read 416,910 times
I think one thing that's disappearing in the cultivated accent. Which is a shame has it's a great and attractive accent. You can still find people that speak like, like Cate Blanchett and Alexander Downer, but it's becoming less common.

Quote:
The Royal Easter show is as popular as ever!

Quote:
Woolworths/Coles have killed most of them. :/

Quote:
You can find them all over Sydney! In tourist stores...

Old 01-16-2012, 05:01 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,502,060 times
Gotta say, I wouldn't p i d d l e on the RSL if it burst into flames in front of me, not after their dishonourable and disgusting behaviour with the Vietnam soldiers return. Fancy telling a returning soldier who has just fought in the Australian name to not get off the plane unless he/she has changed *OUT* of uniform, and returning under the cover of darkness. The RSL can NEVER hold its head up without utter and complete shame since those days. The RSL should be disbanded and outlawed for its complete disregard and appalling behaviour to returning vets. Yep, I've got a long memory, and Lest We Forget?...I hope in the case of the RSL...Lest We NOT Forget!!

As for multiculturalism, that's the best thing that ever happened to the Australian diet. We now can partake of INUMERABLE forms of culinary delights instead of chowing down on bangers and lamb chops <g>.

Australia of 'old'? I'm afraid it has gone for good unfortunately...in more ways than I can count! Our ancestors who fought in WW1 would turn over in their graves if they could see what's happening to Australia today!

Old 01-17-2012, 02:49 AM

6,056 posts, read 5,985,937 times
Not forgetting
Workers flocking to the pubs after work
(5 pm swirl)

Women banned from the public bar

Women in general looking after their man and kids and staying home

Complete belief by most of the need to keep Australia white

Aboriginals not allowed into pubs

Complete lack of any sense of PR

Strongly Homophobic

Suntans as the desired look

Steak egg and chips for breakfast

Kids played outside the house

Old 01-17-2012, 10:10 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,596,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post

One word...pokies.

I remember seeing heaps of people who'd go down to the store without shoes, never see it around these days...as trivial sounding as it is I sort of associate that with the death of 'old Australia', around the late 90's. Also remember seeing old people around as a young kid wearing full-on suits and hats as everyday wear, pretty much disappeared now.

Never cared too much for the Chiko Roll...

Old 01-17-2012, 10:19 AM

991 posts, read 1,772,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
What things do you associate with 'Old Australia?' That Australia that people like John Howard lament the passing of.

For me things that drip with old Australiana include:

- RSL Clubs

- Old country pubs that serve only beer, where pizza is 'ethnic food'

- Freemason's lodges

- Bowling Clubs

- The Country Women's Association

- Picnics and barbecues in the park or by the beach

- English tea gardens, having damper and scones for tea

- Chiko rolls

- Rural agriculture stores

- Swimming/sea-baths

- Wooden Federation style homes with rose gardens

- The race track

- The suburban footy oval, complete with grandstand

- Bush poets/Aussie folk music

- Weekend drives, visits to homesteads

- Windmills against the backdrop of a barren plain, red sunset in the horizon

- Ice cream on the beach, especially a Peter's!

- God save the Queen (that will not be missed!), Toff accents on TV

All of which are very nice and quaint, even for this young bloke! Still I realise things are changing. I just hope it all doesn't go away. When do you feel that 'old school' feel went away? For me I'd say by the mid 90s or so. I feel Australia is alot more multi-cultural today than even 15 years ago. Probably good and bad.
You can add to that list the good old Aussie 6 cylinder family car, the hills hoist, the kids on the bmx out in the street by themselves, the council pick-up and in a few years the suburban high street.

It is lamentable what has happened to the Australian country town, it used to be you'd go to the pub for the mixed grill and to the chinese take-away for the mixed entrees, sweet & sour pork and fried rice. It was great, now all you can get is the McDonald's, Pizza Hut or KFC.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:38 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,137,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
RSL clubs in Sydney are a whole 'nother thing altogether. Huge, modern, multi-million facilities ringing with the hypnotic electronic sound of those poker machines. I remember having lunch at an RSL like that on the Gold Coast one time. Here they're still pretty small, clubbish affairs. Very much an 'Old boys' thing.
yeah ~ the pokies in every pub here. Ick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
You can add to that list the good old Aussie 6 cylinder family car, the hills hoist, the kids on the bmx out in the street by themselves, the council pick-up and in a few years the suburban high street.

It is lamentable what has happened to the Australian country town, it used to be you'd go to the pub for the mixed grill and to the chinese take-away for the mixed entrees, sweet & sour pork and fried rice. It was great, now all you can get is the McDonald's, Pizza Hut or KFC.
sad isn't it? I recall riding my bike from morning to night, maybe coming home to eat then off again. or kicking the football, playing cricket/tennis in summer... these days parents seem to cotton wool their kids

the council pick up? what do you mean?

Old 01-17-2012, 05:03 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,898,582 times
Well this was kind of depressing....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand