Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Any Australians wanting to move the United States?
Yes, I want a Chevrolet, Hamburger and celebrate the 4th of July. 53 56.99%
No, I want a Holden, Chiko Roll and celebrate Australia Day. 40 43.01%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 07:27 AM

302 posts, read 868,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Australia's head of state is the Queen of Australia. As distinct from the Queen of the United Kingdom, as distinct from the Queen of Canada...etc. Your statement is no more correct than saying the head of state of Canada is the Australian monarch.

We choose that as our system; we choose to have the ERII as our Queen, it is not imposed upon us. While many disagree with it (myself included) we had a referendum and the people elected to keep the monarchy.

Not quite...

If Australia doesn't like a change being proposed they can say no.
My point is that the Queen of Australia is the Queen of England, a foreign country. Foreign law governs who can be your head of state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 07:45 AM

4,227 posts, read 4,892,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aville239 View Post
My point is that the Queen of Australia is the Queen of England, a foreign country. Foreign law governs who can be your head of state.
There is no such thing as the Queen of England.

I don't think you understand. The Queen of Australia is the head of state, that the same person is also the Queen of several other realms is irrelevant. If Britain were to become a Republic that would have no effect on Australia's monarchy, and vice-versa.

The Australian Constitution determines who is Australia's head of state. The rules of the SoW mean we all need to agree to change the laws of succession. The Monarchy is shared by all Commonwealth Realms symmetrically. Britain has no special powers wrt to the Monarchy that the other realms don't.

Last edited by BCC_1; 04-17-2012 at 07:54 AM..

Old 04-17-2012, 11:57 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Cost of living is reasonable in some areas, this is true. But, there is good reason for that. For someone to actually invest a lot of time and money to immigrate, then move to a place like Nebraska, or South Dakota, they would be absolutely miserable. These areas have nothing; and people there are about as sophisticated as a can of cat food. The vast majority of people want to live on a coast, or in or near a major metro areas, usually in a "blue" state, rather than a "red" state. Thus, the lifestyle and COL are often drastically different. The majority of the U.S. does have four seasons, with plenty of snow. If you are accustomed to mild climate, the change would be drastic. Yes, unemployment rates do change, but in all honesty, the unemployment rate here has been horrible for a long time.
I agree that most immigrants would prefer coastal cities due to more liberal attitudes, which leads people to be more accepting of immigrants. From my experience the problem with rural red state Americans is the religious belief. For quite a few people living there their lives revolve around their church and religion. I can't stomach it. What I admire about Europe and it seems much of Australia, is that they tend to keep religion more a private affair. Faith has way too much influence in politics here. And many faithful tend to wear it on their sleeves and push it on you. Try telling people at a house party in Oklahoma that you don't believe in god, whoa watch the sparks fly. I mean, is there any country in the first world that is still debating and fighting over abortion rights? Gay rights? contraception? It all boils down to the fact that Americans are more religious than just about everyone else in the developed world.

As far as the bit about "plenty of snow" I think you are way off. The majority of the US does not get "plenty" of snow. That would be Canada. Huge swaths of the US get no snow in winter, particularly the South and Southwest and Pac NW. Even my city, Philadelphia, in the NE of the country avg's around 20" a year of snowfall. It may sound like a lot to a person from Sydney, but our area certainly does not look like the Arctic in winter. The vast majority of our winter precip is in the form of rain (around 75%-80% rain). 83% of days in the three winter months have no snow cover. We get around three snowstorms a year, but it melts quickly. Usually within a week of a major storm it is gone. It can add a nice touch to a winter landscape. However, the media, particularly NYC media, hypes up every winter storm event. Even places in the midwest like Kansas City average about 75% of days in winter without snow cover. In fact, Kansas City gets less snow than Philadelphia.

High temps in January from Charleston across the south to San Antonio average from 60F to 63F. Places like Phoenix and Tucson are warmer still.

There are any number of reasons for an Australian not to move to the US, but I think climate wise they could do much worse than the US (Canada anyone).

Old 04-17-2012, 04:45 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,731,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I agree that most immigrants would prefer coastal cities due to more liberal attitudes, which leads people to be more accepting of immigrants. From my experience the problem with rural red state Americans is the religious belief. For quite a few people living there their lives revolve around their church and religion. I can't stomach it. What I admire about Europe and it seems much of Australia, is that they tend to keep religion more a private affair. Faith has way too much influence in politics here. And many faithful tend to wear it on their sleeves and push it on you. Try telling people at a house party in Oklahoma that you don't believe in god, whoa watch the sparks fly. I mean, is there any country in the first world that is still debating and fighting over abortion rights? Gay rights? contraception? It all boils down to the fact that Americans are more religious than just about everyone else in the developed world.

As far as the bit about "plenty of snow" I think you are way off. The majority of the US does not get "plenty" of snow. That would be Canada. Huge swaths of the US get no snow in winter, particularly the South and Southwest and Pac NW. Even my city, Philadelphia, in the NE of the country avg's around 20" a year of snowfall. It may sound like a lot to a person from Sydney, but our area certainly does not look like the Arctic in winter. The vast majority of our winter precip is in the form of rain (around 75%-80% rain). 83% of days in the three winter months have no snow cover. We get around three snowstorms a year, but it melts quickly. Usually within a week of a major storm it is gone. It can add a nice touch to a winter landscape. However, the media, particularly NYC media, hypes up every winter storm event. Even places in the midwest like Kansas City average about 75% of days in winter without snow cover. In fact, Kansas City gets less snow than Philadelphia.

High temps in January from Charleston across the south to San Antonio average from 60F to 63F. Places like Phoenix and Tucson are warmer still.

There are any number of reasons for an Australian not to move to the US, but I think climate wise they could do much worse than the US (Canada anyone).
Are you suggesting that you would get shunned if you are ""irreglious"" , or an atheist, in rural America?
Religious people are a minority here, and don't harass you bar the odd door-knocker from non-mainstream churches.
Things like contraception and even abortion are rarely discussed and are a non-issue, recent articles like this the exception:
Religion could limit procedures at new hospital - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
And this is about a fairly conservative church - not the evangelistic style churches in the states.
On the climate issue, America is as you say superior to Canada, and even to the UK really. It is only some of the Upper Midwest and Northeast that have severe winters.

Last edited by Derek40; 04-17-2012 at 04:55 PM..

Old 04-18-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Are you suggesting that you would get shunned if you are ""irreglious"" , or an atheist, in rural America?
Religious people are a minority here, and don't harass you bar the odd door-knocker from non-mainstream churches.
Things like contraception and even abortion are rarely discussed and are a non-issue, recent articles like this the exception:
Religion could limit procedures at new hospital - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
And this is about a fairly conservative church - not the evangelistic style churches in the states.
On the climate issue, America is as you say superior to Canada, and even to the UK really. It is only some of the Upper Midwest and Northeast that have severe winters.

Let me put it like this: can you imagine America ever electing an atheist senator (at least an open and honest one), let alone president? Not gonna happen, at least for years. Now ask yourself the same question about Australia. And yes, I think you would be shunned in rural America for being an Atheist, unless you found other Atheists to hang out with. Religion plays a huge role in America.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:02 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,273,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCostas91 View Post
Am I the only one?
Hell no I'd love to live in the States for a while.

I thought about Texas but think it may be a bit too conservative for me, I'd love to live in California though!

Old 04-18-2012, 04:49 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,789,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post

Starting at the northwest, From Idaho, over along the entire Canadian border is heavy snow. From Idaho, down to Mid New Mexico, accross Oklahoma, straight to the the east coast to northern Virginia, northward is all snow territory. Yes, we did have an unusually mild winter, while Russia and Europe were experiencing a terrible winter, but this was an exception.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:06 PM

497 posts, read 696,636 times
I found this thread very enlightening. As an American, I have daydreamed about living in Australia - not forever, but maybe for a couple of years. I have enjoyed reading the many reasons why people from Oz would want to live in the US.

I feel compelled to address the overly religious comments some have made regarding southerners (or "red states"). I have lived in the southeast US my entire life (different states) - and no, I am not a hick with an accent (although there is nothing wrong with that).

I have NEVER had a conversation with colleagues, neighbors, acquaintances, classmates, etc. regarding religion, politics or any other "touchy" subject. We discuss college football, work, kids, new favorite restaurants, etc.

I have friends who span the entire political spectrum, and I appreciate the differences. We just don't discuss them. The same is true with religion. I do discuss some issues with my "like-minded" friends, but I have never been involved in a conversation where someone was trying to push their religious/political beliefs onto another person. I guess I just don't hang out with those people.

There are many wonderful, welcoming cities in the US, and the south is no exception: Atlanta, Charlotte, Asheville, Nashville, Raleigh, Dallas, Austin, etc. We are a region full of people from different faiths and backgrounds. We are educated, innovative and committed to making a better life for ourselves and our families. Plus, we have some of the most beautiful landscape in the entire US.

Hope this helps in case anyone is interested in visiting or living in the southeast US. Cheers, y'all!

Old 04-18-2012, 05:10 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,071,153 times
There's a lot of interesting perspectives on this thread. Some I agree with and a lot I don't.

I was born in Norway but moved to England when I was a kid. Lived in England and then Australia (Brisbane 1969-1976), then Canada and have been in the US since 1996.

Many people in the US LOVE the idea of visiting and/or living in Australia. Many people in Australia LOVE the idea of visiting and/or living in the US.

No matter where you live you still have to pay your taxes, take out your garbage and scrub your toilet.

Both the US and Australia are very beautiful. Both have very good and decent people, and both have the scum of the earth.

I don't know much about the cost of living here vs Australia because it has been so long since I was there. I still have parents and five brothers and sisters in Australia (spread up and down the east coast).

I have lived in the one primarily liberal town in Alaska (yes there is one), entirely conservative Wyoming and now primarily conservative Tennessee. Religion is very big in the south but I have never had problems being an atheist.

Not all immigrants are liberal. Many of us are conservative.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Starting at the northwest, From Idaho, over along the entire Canadian border is heavy snow. From Idaho, down to Mid New Mexico, accross Oklahoma, straight to the the east coast to northern Virginia, northward is all snow territory. Yes, we did have an unusually mild winter, while Russia and Europe were experiencing a terrible winter, but this was an exception.
Depends on your def of "snow territory". I'll stick with NOAA and the facts are that 83% of winter days in Philadelphia, based on 30 yr averages, have no snow cover (or less than 1"). So if you mean a couple weeks each winter (out of 3 or 4 months) has snow, then yes, that would be snow territory. I guess I would choose a more narrow def of "snow territory". If you come to Philadelphia in winter expecting to trudge around in snow and enjoy winter sports, you will be disappointed. It is more likely to be 40F and raining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand