Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2012, 01:53 PM

157 posts, read 301,817 times

Advertisements

I have heard that you must apply years in advance to get your child on the waitlist at a good private school in Perth, Western Australia. Is this true? How far in advance for kindy? What are the best private schools near Perth for boys or co-ed?

Are there any websites in Australia where parents post candid opinions of schools? In the US there is greatschools.com for this. I would really appreciate reading any feedback on the Hale School, Christ Church Grammer, Perth Waldorf or other private schools with strong academics, athletics, small class sizes, and outdoor education.

Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 05:31 PM

4,215 posts, read 4,884,241 times
Yes the sooner you can get your child on the waiting list the better. Unless you have an old boy/girl who either provides a recommendation or is related to the child, it can be very difficult to get in at short notice.

On the fees, they will usually charge a deposit when you enrol, which is generally not refunded until you leave the school. On top of that, they will also charge a a one-off fee when you accept the place.

I don't know much about West Australian private schools but to give you some idea of fees, my alma mater's current fee schedule is $1,000 deposit on enrolling (you never really get this back because the fee to join the old boys' association is usually equal to this) then $6,600 no refundable fee on acceptance of place and then school fees which start at $16,000/annum for preschool and go to $28,000/annum for year 12 (significantly more for boarding). Plus there is uniforms, camps, music lessons etc which all add on to that. And they do ask for donations on a fairly regular basis.

You might want to check out the MySchool website, which is provided by the government and has a wealth of info. Of course with any school, the best way to see if it's a good fit is to actually go to it.

I worked with a guy who went to Christ Church, he had nothing but good things to say about it.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:59 PM

Thank you for replying. That is really helpful!

Old 04-14-2012, 08:16 PM

1 posts, read 4,439 times
I attended Hale School as a boarder in my highschool years and have friends that attended Wesley College and Scotch College. And from my experience and what i've been told about the other two schools, they are all very good schools although if your considering boarding school. Hales boarding community is probably the best of all schools in WA. as for fees, i cant remember exact figures but it was very expensive and the waiting list for the school is quite long so its best to enroll as soon as possible

Old 04-16-2012, 08:14 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
You're better off finding a reputable public school, although if you can spare the dough by all means.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:07 PM

At Hale, my 1 year old son's potential class is full with a waitlist of 100 boys. Our options are public school or the international school. Interesting that this starts so early...

Thanks to all who replied.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:58 PM

5 posts, read 9,984 times
Thank you for replying. That is really helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand