Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 12:25 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times

Advertisements

Fed-up Kiwis head to Oz en masse - Business - NZ Herald News

The economy and poor standard of living is still a huge issue in New Zealand so it seems.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:18 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
I think the Christchurch earthquake might have more of an effect than many want to admit for one thing.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:58 PM

598 posts, read 955,987 times
That indian guy moved to nz 5 years ago and now hes moving to australia what a coincidence ;P

Old 05-13-2012, 06:20 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I think the Christchurch earthquake might have more of an effect than many want to admit for one thing.
They need to harden up, NZ is a earthquake country.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:35 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
I didn't realize the NZ economy wasn't doing as well as Australia. It seems Australia is doing well partially to a mining boom.

According the the IMF Australia has a GNP per capita of $65,477
NZ has a per capita GNP of $36,648
as of 2011 in US dollars
List of countries by GDP (nominal) per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To those who have been to both countries, do you notice a difference in standard of living, do Australians live in better housing, drive better cars etc.?

Old 05-13-2012, 10:27 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I didn't realize the NZ economy wasn't doing as well as Australia. It seems Australia is doing well partially to a mining boom.

as of 2011 in US dollars
List of countries by GDP (nominal) per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To those who have been to both countries, do you notice a difference in standard of living, do Australians live in better housing, drive better cars etc.?
Oh absolutely. I noticed a substantial increase in my quality of living when I moved to Australia.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:20 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
Quote:

as of 2011 in US dollars

I have never Being to NZ, but there is over 600,000 New Zealand Citizens living in Australia, compared to around 60,000 Australian Citizens living in New Zealand.

To put that in perspective, for every 100 New Zealanders living in New Zealand, there is about 15 New Zealanders living in Australia. For every 100 Australians living in Australia their is about 0.25 Australian's living in New Zealand

If the number of people "voting with their feet", is any indication it's easy to see which country has better opportunities, which in it self of course does not translate into a better standard of living.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 05-13-2012 at 11:44 PM..

Old 05-13-2012, 11:37 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,856 times
Quote:

as of 2011 in US dollars

All the extra income comes from the Australian mining sector, none of it is because Australian management run more productive work practices than NZ.
Australia does have one problem with it's mining sector, China developing mines in Mongolia which could when developed replace Australian Iron ore and Coal, now a lot in the mining sector believe Japan would stay with Aussie ore no matter what, they are having pipe dreams.

A better standard of living, hmm, that average Aussie income will not buy you a house on the North Shore of Sydney, it may just be enough to pay a mortgage in Sydney's bogan (redneck) areas but that would be doubtful without two average incomes.

Too many kiwis sadly believe the streets of Australia are paved with gold for the picking, it is a pity more do not stay home and develop an export business, but they do not want to put in the hard graft needed.
Many believe they are owed a great income from being a wage slave.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:19 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
All the extra income comes from the Australian mining sector, none of it is because Australian management run more productive work practices than NZ.
Australia does have one problem with it's mining sector, China developing mines in Mongolia which could when developed replace Australian Iron ore and Coal, now a lot in the mining sector believe Japan would stay with Aussie ore no matter what, they are having pipe dreams.

A better standard of living, hmm, that average Aussie income will not buy you a house on the North Shore of Sydney, it may just be enough to pay a mortgage in Sydney's bogan (redneck) areas but that would be doubtful without two average incomes.

Too many kiwis sadly believe the streets of Australia are paved with gold for the picking, it is a pity more do not stay home and develop an export business, but they do not want to put in the hard graft needed.
Many believe they are owed a great income from being a wage slave.
are you moving back to NZ to start an export business, even you keft for Oz.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:22 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:

as of 2011 in US dollars

thier is no other way of saying it , new zealand is quite poor compared to australia , i used to think it was similar to ireland and the uk some years ago but the difference between ireland and the uk is much narrower
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.