Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 03:04 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,295,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Maybe it's about time you learnt that media make the news as well as tell it.

Sure, the convict jokes are there. That's a long way from some sort of superiority complex though. The image of the rough Aussie larrikin is an Australian cultural stereotype, that has made it here for obvious reasons.

I think you might be over analyzing the situation, and producing your own stereotypes.
perhaps but i think ive my finger on it

Old 05-18-2012, 04:10 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,605,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
perhaps but i think ive my finger on it
No, you haven't. If anything, the tendency for (some) Australians to windup or belittle NZers is probably stronger than the reverse one.

It's not hard to find plenty of people - visitors and immigrants - whose opinions of New Zealand are the opposite of yours in every way.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
No, you haven't. If anything, the tendency for (some) Australians to windup or belittle NZers is probably stronger than the reverse one.

It's not hard to find plenty of people - visitors and immigrants - whose opinions of New Zealand are the opposite of yours in every way.

i dont doubt it for a second , i happen to like things about new zealand aswell

Old 05-18-2012, 07:40 PM

104 posts, read 138,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
Isn't all this a huge sore spot for national pride?
Nope! We're always travelling. I don't know a Kiwi who doesn't have a passport. (Wait a minute ! Yes I do! One) Part of the problem is we are a very small pool if you are ambitious and want to be a big fish you have to go somewhere else, but , like Australia we punch above our weight, so to speak.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:50 PM

I think Irish bob doesn't understand Kiwi/Aussie humour. For all our poking at each other it's mostly in fun and it's hard for an outsider to comprehend the bond that ANZACs have. There are no two countries in the world as close as Aussie/NZ, forged in the fires of nearly 100 years ago , when trying to carry out the impossible tasks set by Britain and Winston Churchill at Gallipoli. When I was intrepid travelling in my 20's the phrase was "If I can't have a Kiwi to watch my back I'll have an Aussie!"

Old 05-19-2012, 12:02 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,489,869 times
^ What Ciderman said.
+1

I have a ton of NZ friends that I've known from long ago. They call me an Aussie ruffian (and worse) and I call them sheep shaggers (and worse). It's banter. Not to be taken seriously.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciderman View Post
Nope! We're always travelling. I don't know a Kiwi who doesn't have a passport. (Wait a minute ! Yes I do! One) Part of the problem is we are a very small pool if you are ambitious and want to be a big fish you have to go somewhere else, but , like Australia we punch above our weight, so to speak.
how exactly does new zealand punch above its weight , the idea sounds appealing but has it any basis ?

Old 05-19-2012, 07:48 AM

317 posts, read 528,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
how exactly does new zealand punch above its weight , the idea sounds appealing but has it any basis ?
New Zealand signed the first free trade agreement with China and is a key member of the Cairns group of agricultural exporting nations.
Former PM Mike Moore head of the WTO 1999-2003
Don McKinnon head of the commonweal secretariat 2000-2008
Helen Clarke head of the UN development programme 2009-

New Zealand has been elected to the security council three times most recently 1992-1994

Millitary / Peacekeeping

In WW2 we suffered some of the highest casualties of the then British Commonwealth,they weren't scared to put people in harms way.
Other conflicts and peacekeeping roles include Malaysia, Indonesia Rhodesia Korean war Kasmir Lebanon etc

Sports / Pop culture
The All Blacks
All Whites
Dame Kiri Te Kanawa
Sam Neil
Peter Jackson

We played a big role in halting nuclear testing in the Pacific
Not bad for a little out of the way place with only 4 million peeps so yeah we can pull our weight.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsa71 View Post
New Zealand signed the first free trade agreement with China and is a key member of the Cairns group of agricultural exporting nations.
Former PM Mike Moore head of the WTO 1999-2003
Don McKinnon head of the commonweal secretariat 2000-2008
Helen Clarke head of the UN development programme 2009-

New Zealand has been elected to the security council three times most recently 1992-1994

Millitary / Peacekeeping

In WW2 we suffered some of the highest casualties of the then British Commonwealth,they weren't scared to put people in harms way.
Other conflicts and peacekeeping roles include Malaysia, Indonesia Rhodesia Korean war Kasmir Lebanon etc

Sports / Pop culture
The All Blacks
All Whites
Dame Kiri Te Kanawa
Sam Neil
Peter Jackson

We played a big role in halting nuclear testing in the Pacific
Not bad for a little out of the way place with only 4 million peeps so yeah we can pull our weight.

GEEZ , your really clutching at straws

being elected to the UN security council is about as big of an achievment as christmas day falling on a sunday , every country eventually gets thier turn bar the five permanent members of uk , france , rusia , usa and china

the commonwealth is nothing but a quaint get together of former british colonys to show how much they support and honor lizzy windsor , nothing epitomises this twee club more than the preposterous commonwealth games which wheels around every four years

as for your list of sporting and artistic achievments , while peter jackson is a world renowned film maker , even for its size , new zealand is a cultural and artistic backwater , always has been

sure the all blacks have been dominant this past century but at the end of the day , rugby is a sport which is played competitivley by half a dozen or less than ten strong nations , your including the all whites has to be a joke , i dont consider ireland to punch above its weight at soccer and we are something like a hundred places higher on the FIFA rankings than the so called all whites , ireland are at 18 while NZ is at 130

Old 05-19-2012, 01:28 PM

Hey Bob! You don't like us do you? Geez I'm really upset. Never mind we'll get over it. Coming from a country that has spent centuries with it's population trying to go somewhere else that 's odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand