Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 07:27 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,856 times

Advertisements

Decent bloke Malcolm Fraser, and how right he is about the evilness of Abbott's plans for any future boat people.
It would not surprise me to see Abbott as PM ordering the Aus navy to use fifty cals on boats full of refugees, no,Labor is no better, go out to West Sydney and ask White West Sydney types how many boat people got into Australia last year, do not be surprised if a lot say at least 100,000.

Locking people up in concentration camps because of their colour, reminds one of the loyal US Japanese during WW2.

Yet, people rant about boat people while Europeans arrive on a holiday with a lot staying on as over stayers and when some are caught they will argue they are White and English speaking and therefore should have automatic entry as permanent residents.

Wonder what happened to a fair go ?
Oh, the number of boat people arrived in Aus last year, 4350
Abbott's evil policy work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 08:02 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Decent bloke Malcolm Fraser, and how right he is about the evilness of Abbott's plans for any future boat people.
It would not surprise me to see Abbott as PM ordering the Aus navy to use fifty cals on boats full of refugees, no,Labor is no better, go out to West Sydney and ask White West Sydney types how many boat people got into Australia last year, do not be surprised if a lot say at least 100,000.

Locking people up in concentration camps because of their colour, reminds one of the loyal US Japanese during WW2.

Yet, people rant about boat people while Europeans arrive on a holiday with a lot staying on as over stayers and when some are caught they will argue they are White and English speaking and therefore should have automatic entry as permanent residents.

Ive never figured out why aussies are so worried about a couple of boat people, and completly agree with everything you say. We need a Malcom Fraser type in charge of the libs right now, Abbot is scary, and will never get his policy through when the greens contol the senate.

Funny enough, my wife is very anti boat people, she got hear the correct way, initally enrolling as an international student, all up including upfront university fees, english test fees, visa application fees etc etc, it takes 6 years and costs over $90,000 to get Australian PR visa that way. So I can see her point of view

Old 06-20-2012, 10:21 PM

497 posts, read 983,600 times
You're being a bit sensationalist there NZ. Concentration camps?

It's goes back to the argument of what gives one the right to just turn up and say "we live here now". Would you accept that if someone came to your home and did it?

The illegal part and breach of conventions is debatable. Don't they only have a right to get to a place where they are no longer at risk? in which case once the Middle Eastern asylum seekers get to SE Asia, they have escaped the danger, the part of coming to Australia is about quality of life.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:47 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post

Of course it wasnr just in the US
Japanese Canadian internment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A tad sensationalist, but Oz is kind of remote so not sure on the fuzz on a few boat people.. Especially when you read about the ADP paying to recruit from outside Oz to fill in the ranks.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:31 AM

991 posts, read 1,770,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post

A tad sensationalist, but Oz is kind of remote so not sure on the fuzz on a few boat people.. Especially when you read about the ADP paying to recruit from outside Oz to fill in the ranks.
Boat people are still illegal unscreened immigrants. Any ADP recruit would still go through a screening process. What does concern Australians is essentially the illegal nature of boat people. The OP may or may not be surprised that a large proportion of the inmates in Villawood are white overstayers.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:08 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
So, I have a hard time understanding why the law should apply one way to people of a certain nationality or any other demographic you might come up with and then the law should apply differently to those that come from certain places and those people get a free pass and don't follow the law and the established process everyone else has to go through.

I've got a huge collection of "Border Security" episodes. At least from that it appears to me nationalities or race or religion makes no difference. If you violated your visa rules or failed to disclose required information or showed an attempt using deception to evade the law, then you get sent home by the immigration authorities. Which is as it should be.

If the law doesn't apply evenly to everyone, then why have a law or legal system?

Old 06-21-2012, 08:26 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
Boat people are still illegal unscreened immigrants. Any ADP recruit would still go through a screening process. What does concern Australians is essentially the illegal nature of boat people. The OP may or may not be surprised that a large proportion of the inmates in Villawood are white overstayers.
With the huge number of white over stayers in Aus I should damn well hope the vast majority at Villawood are white.
Maybe it is time for us to finger print all visitors to Aus and take a eye retina scan while we are at it.
Time for all legal residents to carry ID at all times ?

Old 06-21-2012, 08:42 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:

Remote? We live on the doorstep of 220 million people, with over a billion not much further away in the sub-continent.

But I generally agree, I don't see boat people as a huge threat...we can't let ANYBODY in, but as a humane nation we should definitely allow those with real need in.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:33 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Remote? We live on the doorstep of 220 million people, with over a billion not much further away in the sub-continent.

But I generally agree, I don't see boat people as a huge threat...we can't let ANYBODY in, but as a humane nation we should definitely allow those with real need in.
Remote from the primary sources of refugees.. Africa, middle east, south asia..
And thy dont travel by plane.. Slow rickety boats...

Old 06-21-2012, 10:33 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
Remote from the primary sources of refugees.. Africa, middle east, south asia..
And thy dont travel by plane.. Slow rickety boats...
then we get the instances of what happened yesterday. Thats why I want the boats to stop. Its illegal, its risky.

Asylum Boat Capsizes Near Christmas Island | Dozens Feared Dead
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand